[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would /diy/ go about making a prosthetic leg? Things I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

How would /diy/ go about making a prosthetic leg?

Things I have access to:

- 3D Printer
- Styrofoam cutter
- There's a workshop nearby with a 6-axis CNC mill

My idea is to make the basic shape out of styrofoam and laminating carbon fiber on top of it. I'd use the 3D printer and mill to build the other tiny components.
>>
I imagine the trickiest bit is getting the fit right for the part the stump slots in to so it doesn't rub wrong and leave blisters/irritation. Probably they do a plaster casting for that?
>>
File: Gecko Assembly.webm (3MB, 638x438px) Image search: [Google]
Gecko Assembly.webm
3MB, 638x438px
>>1223819
Plaster cast the stump.
Make a light weight attachment shell that various things can be attached to.
Have different attachments for different environmental conditions.
>>
>>1223819

> tfw so cheap you don't even want to pay for your own leg
>>
File: 1496353239175.jpg (523KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
1496353239175.jpg
523KB, 1200x799px
>>1223954
>tfw you are hardcore diy and have day dreams about forging your own prosthetics should you ever lose a limb or eye
>>
>>1223958
what the fuck is that. Are we Orks?
>>
>>1224361
http://www.damngeeky.com/2016/01/27/39101/welder-builds-mind-controlled-prosthetic-arm-from-scrap-but-whats-the-truth.html
>>
>>1223954

to be fair, those prosthetic legs are a god damn fortune, like eighty grand for those carbon fiber hook legs and unless you can show your insurance company you need a nice one, you're gonna get a shitty one.
>>
>>1224492
Looks cool, but that is definitely fake
>>
>>1224729
Certainly looks fake and if it actually worked he could sell the design for a lot of money which he hasn't for some reason (gee I wonder).
>>
File: 1501354816610.webm (1MB, 841x458px) Image search: [Google]
1501354816610.webm
1MB, 841x458px
>>1224729
>>1224735
Yeah, it is better to have the sensors for that shit around the muscles that are closest to the chopped off section or paralyzed section. Having it around your head is a clear sign of fakery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JcM6eel9Q0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPhkVPNKtVA
>>
>>1224739
The EEG approach is theoretically sound, but needs very complicated custom software. Like a whole team of engineers and a couple years to make it kinda work. It's bleeding edge stuff. If he's figured that out it would be worth a lot of money.
>>
>>1223954
It costs an arm and a leg.
>>
>>1223958
This.

10/10.

That being said for the time being not op, but i still have a bumb leg.

Doc says whew son you gonna have to get a metal plate in your leg redone at least once or twice again.

Nope/10.

For reals pain. Cut the mutherfucker off next time and go
>>
>>1224515
Yup. Wich is fucktarded insane because you can buy carbon fiber pretty cheap and vacumn form your own shit for like wayyyy under 500 bucks.
>>
>>1224739
I die every time.

Wtf anon this dog. I see lots of vids. Where is moar?
>>
>>1223899
How about plaster casting the leg before it's amputated?
>>
>>1224861
not that anon but IIRC it's called a dg because of it missing its torso but it is real
>>
Prosthetist here. Learn about pressure-tolerant areas of your limbs and pressure-sensitive areas of your limbs. You have to load your bodyweight on strategic areas and offload super sensitive areas.

The cheapest way to make a prosthetic socket is to wrap your limb in fiberglass casting wrap, and press hard on the anterior surface everywhere but the tibial crest. Then, wear more than one sock on your limb to tighten up the fit, and attach a peg to the bottom, like a cut off baseball bat.

If you made your own and attached a prosthetic foot your find/buy off ebay, you will probably have a horrible alignment which will mess up your knee and back, not to mention your stump.

This old manual is very relevant, and will teach you all you need to know about below-the-knee prosthetic socket principles.

http://www.oandplibrary.org/al/pdf/1962_02_025.pdf

AMA I guess.
>>
>>1225066
Do you just do the fitting and stuff or are you involved in engineering at all?
I'm trying to decide between bioengineering and biomechanics, and I'm at a bit of a fork in the road.
>>
>>1225070
I do the decision making, casting, modifying and prepping the fabrication, (I usually have a technician make it for me, but I could), then I fit them on patients. typically the socket is very very custom, and we use a roll-on gel liner as an interface, and we buy a foot, knee and whatever else to attach to the socket.

I do not engineer new components like feet and knees, but I design the socket layup which is some light design/engineering
>>
>>1223819
so the leg in OP is a total-surface bearing transtibial socket, made of acrylic resin with felt, nylon weave and carbon fiber weave, the outer carbon shell is similar but less layers.

The way it stays on is by use of a locking pin which locks into that silver box distal to the socket. the grey ball is part of the foot (foot is an Ossur Variflex or similar, made of carbon fiber). there is a pyramid (a square connector with four screws so you can adjust alignment in two planes) hidden under that grey box (the lock for the pin).

Possible to make alone if you have a vacuum and some plastic bags available. Most expensive ingredient is the acrylic resin. I recommend EAR1 resin.

FYI
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.