[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Subwoofer casing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: sub.jpg (2MB, 2700x1519px) Image search: [Google]
sub.jpg
2MB, 2700x1519px
I've got this subwoofer, and I want to make a casing for it. What's the best way to make a case, to get best sound quality?
>>
>>1223004
You need to know what Vas it needs (volume of air space). That will be the number you start with when making an enclosure. As for "best" quality, that depends on what you plan on listening to. Lots of subs just need a sealed box but some benefit from 2nd, 3rd, or 4th order boxes. Those are more difficult to design and make, but not impossible.
You can use a smaller sealed box than the Vas, that requires using padding. Synthetic pillow stuffing in a pair of panyhose, glued inside the container. (it acts as a spring and makes the box "bigger").
read > http://www.diysubwoofers.org/
Also you need an amp that is sized for that speaker.
>>
File: IMG_20141018_194258120-L.jpg (228KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141018_194258120-L.jpg
228KB, 800x451px
>>1223004
>>1223016
>You need to know what Vas it needs (volume of air space).
This. Single biggest thing people overlook when building a box.

I've always done sealed boxes... small and effective, and ... i'm in a pickup truck, i'm not going for theater-quality sound.

Shoving poly-fill in the box can make the box "sound bigger" without increasing its actual volume, but shoot for getting actual volume first and tune with poly-fill.

3/4 MDF is what you'll want to use. Use sufficient wood glue to seal the joints.
>>
>>1223167
This. Or maybe even 5/8 mdf if you plan to go big.
>>
1. Gather as much data as you can about the chassis.
2. Download boxsim from visaton website
3. You can also Google for something like a Thiele small parameters calculator
4. Program or calculator spits out the volume of your enclosure and other useful data
5. Build enclosure
6. Be a happy camped
>>
>>1226065
I forgot to mention you are going to need some sound dampening material that you stuff into your box.
>>
>>1223738

>. Or maybe even 5/8 mdf if you plan to go big.

Every time I go past this thread I wonder why you would use thinner wood to go big. Or are you one of those Common Core people who can prove that 5/8 is thicker than 3/4.
>>
what if I don't know anything about the speaker? I have two 16cm bass speakers pulled from a car and I want to build box for them. how can I measure VAS?
>>
>>1226654
Look up the speaker, get datasheet.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.