[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rain barrel overflowing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_20170805_1204076.jpg (2MB, 3672x4896px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170805_1204076.jpg
2MB, 3672x4896px
My rain barrel is filling up way too fast. It fills up after a single rain and I'm having a hard time using fast enough
When it fills it it just overflows and pours into the side of my house and I've been noticing a bit of moisture seeping into my basement. What would be the best way to diverge excess water away from my property?
>>
>>1222582
stick a hose into near the top of the barrel, run the hose away from the house
>>
>>1222582

Get a hose kit built to attack to a rain barrel, attach a hose, run the hose to your street when it rains and open the faucet
>>
>>1222585
Good idea... I'll keep my eye out for one of those.
>>
>>1222582
Fuck all these losers, make your barrel do the work. Buy a water level switch or float switch, 120v relay and a 120v solenoid valve. Put in a waterproof box. The switch powers the relay when water is too high and opens the solenoid valve, letting excess water out. Now you don't have to run outside when it rains, you spent only 50-80 bucks and your rain barrel is smarter then your cat.
>>
>>1222621
Fuck this loser, drill a hole near the top for free
>>
>>1222624
His problem was water pouring out the top, so a hole for it to drain out at the top solves nothing.
>>
>>1222582
you must have had some kind of drain before the barrel was there?
you get bit that fits onto a downpipe that diverts water into the barrel that you fit very importantly below the level of the top of the barrel. when its full the water in the diverter just keeps going down the downpipe into the drain.

there are no moving parts it just relies on physics of water levels being equal.
>>
>>1222621

what happens when the power goes out due to the very storm thats over filling it?

this is just another example of DIY newfags posting way over complicated solutions to something that only needs a simple solution as a few have suggested, drilling a hole near the top, run a hose out past house. overflow will go thru hose and not overflow the barrel
>>
http://www.homedepot.com/p/EarthMinded-DIY-Rain-Barrel-Diverter-and-Parts-Kit-RBK-0001/203256576
>>
>>1222582
Install a second run of downspout into the side of the barrel, up by the top. Run it down and out.
Or fit a 2" pvc pipe, same idea.
>>
File: 1484375951726.jpg (5KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
1484375951726.jpg
5KB, 261x193px
>>1222683
>DIY newfags
When all you have is an arduino, every problem looks like an adafruit shopping list.
Also, this is a trolling website.

>>1222582
Search "bulkhead garden hose" on the web. Install one near top and run a hose to garden or just let it pour out away from the foundation.
Also, your screen retainer is shite. Cut a hole in the lid of the barrel instead.
>>
>>1222667
Jesus dude. You drill a hole in the SIDE of the barrel near the top. Not on the top. The water level reaches the hole before it reaches the top of the barrel. Attach a hose to the hole you drilled and place the hose away from the house.
>>
File: Diverter.jpg (17KB, 350x409px) Image search: [Google]
Diverter.jpg
17KB, 350x409px
Once barrel fills flip lever and let run out into yard like normal
>>
>>1222749
No dude, if that's what you're doing, you hook the lever to a toilet float so when the water level hits where you want it flips the lever.
The overflow drain hooked up to stuff is a better option, though.
>>
>>1222582
Switch to aquaponic gardening so you use more water and empty the barrel properly between storms.. or idk maybe some kinda jd of simple cheap overflow drain... or a bigger barrel... or a second barrel...
>>
>>
>>1222835
this is cool but why use an electrical conduit adapter when you can use a tank connector, literally a pipe attachment designed specifically for this task.
>>
File: 1486356873306.jpg (69KB, 750x734px) Image search: [Google]
1486356873306.jpg
69KB, 750x734px
>>1222837
It looks overbuilt to me too.
I just used the garden hose bulkhead near the bottom and attached a Y adapter to it. One side went to a washing machine hose which connected to Pic related, and the other side of the Y adapter went to the watering hose.
That lid/screen design is bretty gud.
>>
>>1222673
>you get bit that fits onto a downpipe that diverts water into the barrel
>>1222851
exactly this. this is where its at.
>>
>>1222584
Perfect simple solution. A little bit might spill before the siphon starts but it should work everytime.
>>
>>1222736
>this is a trolling website

sure 4chan as a whole yes but this is /diy/ not /b/ or /trash/. its a shame everyone that comes here is a fuckin nerd who thinks PLCs and arduino shit is the solution to everything. must be some leftover nerds from /g/ spilling into this board
>>
>>1222749

yes because OP is going to stand outside in the fucking rain to switch this thing every time the barrel starts to overflow. shutup.
>>
>>1223344
>arduino shit is the solution to everything
Great digits. Somewhere along the line, Making™ became more about consumption than production. You and me, anon, we have to make sure the old ways don't get lost.
>must be some leftover nerds from /g/ spilling into this board
Good estimation. /v/ and /pol/ seem to be pushing on /g/ so /g/ are spilling here. and bringing their babby mechatronics with them.
>>
add more barrels
>>
>>1223480
take the original drainage downspout and tube, attach to the upper section of your rain barrel and attach THAT to another one slightly downhill, cut the tube, attach THAT on the otherside slightly down on the barrel and repeat, you now have upwards of 10-20 rain barrels that are all full and the last one will overflow FAR from your house and basement!
>>
>>1222621
>>>1222582 (OP)
>Fuck all these losers, make your barrel do the work. Buy a water level switch or float switch, 120v relay and a 120v solenoid valve. Put in a waterproof box. The switch powers the relay when water is too high and opens the solenoid valve, letting excess water out. Now you don't have to run outside when it rains, you spent only 50-80 bucks and your rain barrel is smarter then your cat.
>>1222621
You. Would also install a water wheel inside the down spout that turns a large generator that leads to a house battery system and use this energy to power the overflow relief pump and barge up your tesla at the same time. Derp
>>
>>1222582
a 4" corrugated pipe
>>
>>1222584
This OP. 100%
>>
>>1222621
But the electricity used is more than just using the hose to water OP's marijuana plants...
>>
>>1222582
>What would be the best way to diverge excess water away from my property?
French Drain leading away from your property.
>>
>>1222582
Don't you keep the top covered? They make downspout attachments to plug into a barrel lid. This looks like mosquito paradise in its current state.

>>1222584
This is the answer
>>
>>1222582
Fuck all these losers, just get a bigger barrel.
>>
>>1223764
OP doesn't want a bigger barrel.

The solution is to get a smaller drain pipe.
>>
>>1222582
Put a tank pan under it, then you can direct the run-off wherever you like with a bit of PVC.
>>
>>1222582
Temporarily you could stick something like a brick under the back (house side) of the barrel to make it overflow away from the house. It still may oversaturate the soil and cause moisture problems in your basement though.
>>
>>1222736
This is not a trolling website. If you read the rules trolling outside of /b/ is a bannable offense
>>
>>1222582
Switch from 55 gallon barrel to a 250-500 gallon tank or ibc tote off Craigslist. Should be $40-120 depending on your area.
>>
>>1222582
divert it to a shipping container buried in the back yard.
>>
>>1224194
>rules
>meanwhile, back in the real world
>>
File: thisasshole.jpg (46KB, 407x584px) Image search: [Google]
thisasshole.jpg
46KB, 407x584px
>>1224194
>>
File: 8791.jpg (78KB, 758x752px) Image search: [Google]
8791.jpg
78KB, 758x752px
This has probably already been said but get a bigger tank?
>>
>>1222582
You need a couple of things,

1. A bigger tanks
2. Plumb it to a toilet in your house

Here in Australia, every new house needs a water tank linked to a toilet.
>>
just add a shot of black to the water, it will help it from overflowing in the wrong place
>>
>>1222582
move to a dryer climate .
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.