[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teacher/Classroom

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0118.png (484KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0118.png
484KB, 3840x2160px
Male elementary teacher here. I've got access to most common power tools.

I'm trying to figure out a cheap way to make a nice seating area for my students to read or work at. I always hated staying in my seat all day but don't want them just sitting on this super hard but lightly carpeted flooring.

I am pretty low on money since this will be my first year.

Anyone got any ideas or solutions?

Pic not related
>>
File: bean-bag-stool-48853-p.jpg (155KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
bean-bag-stool-48853-p.jpg
155KB, 1500x1500px
>>1222431

Bean bag stools? No power tool needed unless you consider a sowing machine one.
>>
>>1222448
I don't have one but I might have access to one.

I thought the filling in those was kind of high. I guess in theory I could make one big one. Or maybe a bench of sorts with that as a cushion.
>>
>>1222431
DESU. You've forgotten what it was like as a kid. Things as adults that we don't find comfortable, kids do just fine. IE they are robust.. A kid has no problem sitting on the floor.. I wouldn't stress yourself over this. Depending on the grade level. I'd consider other things to spend my money on.. Like packs of pencils and paper... There's always like 10 of those fuckers who's parents forgot to school shop it seems.... (this continues and gets worse into highschool)

Good luck. Don't get too excited :)
And stay away from coffee... Get full nights sleep and eat healthy. Oh and less test you give, less grading you do. Also use your grading periods ( if you have em) to actually grade so you're not that annoying teacher who bitches to the class how they spend all their time at home grading papers...
>>
File: benchseat.jpg (54KB, 1280x756px) Image search: [Google]
benchseat.jpg
54KB, 1280x756px
Check and make sure the higher ups will be okay with you using homemade furniture (liability reasons, people like to get sue-y at the drop of a hat, and children are prone to doing stupid shit). Other than that, I'd suggest some basic low bench seats (pic related). You might be able to talk to local lumber supply shops and get some scrap free/discounted if you tell them what it's for. Alternatively, you could probably go ask for help on supply/construction from nearby woodshop teachers. I mean, it's cool that you wanna do something nice, but cover your ass to prevent firing over liability reasons and/or getting sued cause a dipfuck got hurt being a dipfuck.
>>
>>1222453
I already cleared this. Im not looking to make benches or tables to avoid those issues.

I'm looking at small close to the ground crafts or just cushion style on the ground seating.

On the cheap since my yearly salary won't be much more than a full time fast food worker.
>>
File: Untitled.png (266KB, 980x727px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
266KB, 980x727px
They're in elementary school. Try to build something fun and interesting.
How about a wooden chair that's low to the ground and helps them recline?
>>
Just throw a few used mattresses on the floor
>>
In such matters a real teacher would ask his pupils first.
>>
>>1222431
Post pics of students
>>
>>1222450

This guy speaks the truth. I'm a teacher and can confirm.

If you're a first year teacher I would really focus on doing the best job you can teaching and not worry about special projects yet. I know school hasn't started yet and you might be itching to do something productive. Read some books and spend some more time trying to synthesize them into a cohesive classroom management plan, as that's about 70% of teaching. Once you've taught long enough to feel good about that I'd start branching out into crazy loft bunkbeds and shit.

Some good books:

>First Days of School
>Teaching with Love and Logic
>Positive Discipline in the Classroom
>Teach Like a Champion 2.0

Not trying to dissuade you from doing above and beyond stuff, as that's a great idea and sign that you'll be a good teacher. I'm planning on building a loft area in my classroom, for example. Just that you'll have your hands full as it is your first year.
>>
>>1222590
Kek thanks pham. I'm not even a teacher but think I'd be fuck all great at it.. I just dropped out of highschool cause I hated school.. Don't ever wanna step foot in another school again.
>>
File: dscf1869copy.jpg (85KB, 516x447px) Image search: [Google]
dscf1869copy.jpg
85KB, 516x447px
>>1222431
go to thrift store
look for kids table and chairs

same applies to garage sales

if you insist on making something, make a small picnic table
>>
File: 1498488229478.jpg (14KB, 351x354px) Image search: [Google]
1498488229478.jpg
14KB, 351x354px
>>1222554
Pic related
>>1222590
I've gotten some semi assembled lesson plans but they will all likely be thrown out the window because we have our first "grade level planning and rate of progress" this coming week.

My room is pretty barebones so I wanted something to differentiate it a bit.

I've read FDOS and am slowly reading TWL&L.

I'm a fan of twl&l and want to blend it into my management plan but this school has a bit of a built in one that kind of sucks but gives me an easy out if a parent is not a fan of it.

I'll probably go to goodwill/second hand stores and find old or beaten up bean bags and figure out if I can clean them or just drain them for their beads and fill it into some kind of sack as a general cushion.

I may just pick up some yoga mats and lay them down in a line along the back of the room if I can get them cheap enough.

Lots of stuff to do and basically 3 weeks until we start back.
>>
just put some pillows on the floor, kids love that shit and it's good for their posture. Even if it isn't, you can tell their parents you learned it in Tibet or some shit.
>>
>>1222431
What grade? (Younger K/1/2-, or older 5/6-grade?)

They're the ones using it. Let them get creative and figure something out.

If you're dealing with older kids, let them help out with it.

Have access to CAD software (even sketchup will do)? Might be a good way to kickstart someone's engineering career.
>>
>>1222692
You've made the worst decision of your life. Having a highschool diploma would have opened up many doors in your life
>>
>>1222813

Sounds like you got your head on straight. Yoga mats are good. Beanbag/bungee chairs are also pretty cheap but popular. Honestly most kids will be perfectly happy given the chance to just work on the floor (assuming it's carpeted or you have a rug over non-carpeted area).

Lesson plans are good to have, although you'll learn which things work and which don't only by trying them. It's part of the learning process.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.