[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth shelling out extra for an authentic Mitutoyo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 10

File: images (58).jpg (8KB, 500x175px) Image search: [Google]
images (58).jpg
8KB, 500x175px
Is it worth shelling out extra for an authentic Mitutoyo?
>>
Not really no.
>>
>>1221694

I would.
>>
>>1221703
>I would.

*wouldn't*

fucking auto correct
>>
If you can afford it, might as well.
>>
Is it worth shelling out extra for a fake Mitutoyo?
>>
>>1221709

that depends on the resale value. sometimes you can make a profit by buying at one price and reselling at a lower price. the profit comes in because you can eliminate the middleman markup.
>>
>>1221710
I just want one for personal use, the question is if the $25 fake Mitutoyo is better than the $10 basic chink steel caliper. In particular in battery longevity and measurement accuracy.
>>
>>1221694
They're probably nicer to use.
>>
>>1221720
>$25 fake Mitutoyo is better than the $10 basic chink steel caliper

that's an interesting question, because they're both basically the same thing. when they fake a name brand, do they make a better product, or just add the cosmetic details?
>>
>>1221694
Depends. Are you gonna use it once in a blue moon? Don't. Use it (almost) daily? Do it.
One of the big advantages of the authentic ones is how many uses they survive.
>>
>>1221720
The chinky calipers seem to leak a lot when off. I just pull my batteries when not in use so that they last more than six months.
>>
>>1221728
>>1221731
According to banggood, they should be an exact knockoff of the original, meaning that the electronics should be the same too, but then again it's not like banggood can be trusted.
AvE did a video on them about 2 years ago, they were drawing much more power in his test, don't suppose they upgraded them since.
>>
>>1221694
>electric callipers
what are you queer or something?
>>
File: 125.gif (23KB, 600x214px) Image search: [Google]
125.gif
23KB, 600x214px
Anything with a battery is a pain in the ass. Better off with a vernier caliper.
>>
>>1221702
yeah, the $10 harbor freight stainless steel digital ones are fine. buy a pack of 10 maxell or sony batteries off ebay for $1 and put them in the plastic case. if you buy a caliper off ebay you should take it apart and wash all the crud out of it with alcohol/soap and lube it with a drop or two of 3in1 oil or something.

i got a genuine mitutoyo for $2 at a garage sale - the catch was that it had no battery cover. the chinese covers don't fit so that's $8 for the cover off ebay lol.
>>
>>1221720
AvE did a video on this, he found the only difference between a cheap chinese caliper and the mitutoyo fake is the cosmetic details, they both leak battery juice at the same rate as when they're on.
I don't think it's worth it to buy a real Mitutoyo unless you work on precission machining or other kind of work where you don't want to stack errors, I have the cheap chinese ones and they're really precise, comparison tests show the deviation is around +-1 mil compared to the real deal using gauges and blocks.
I added a jumper between the battery and the vcc pin to keep it from draining the battery.
>>
>>1221745
Good luck trying to tell between 19.95 and 19.05 mm
>>
>>1221784

you don't even need the vernier for that. (0.035 inches)
>>
>>1221790
That's not what he meant.
>>
>>1221745
Thread.

Unless you're measuring EVERY SECOND OF THE FUCKING DAY, just get this.
>>
>>1221781
I watched his video just now and in his tests the fake draws 4 times as much power even on idle as the real one powered on, but yeah I've been thinking about doing the same, disconnecting the battery
>>
>>1221828

it draws a few extra mA which is a "feature" of both calipers to retain measurements. if you don't use either one often you'll need to pull the batteries anyway so there's not a whole lot of benefit from the more expensive one.
I got the HF 9$ caliper and pull the batteries and it works just fine as it came with a plastic carrying case.
>>
>>1221833
>it draws a few extra mA which is a "feature" of both calipers to retain measurements.

I wondered how it remembered where zero was no matter how you set it. I also wondered why batteries always went dead.

>>1221817
>That's not what he meant.

Ok, I can't figure it out. What did he mean?
>>
>>1221833
No, the real one draws some 4 microamps when on and 2 when off, the fake draws 16 when off and 17-ish when on iirc. Battery life is 4 times better. Not to say it's worth paying ten times more for it, but there is a difference.
>>
>>1221694
depends how ofthen you mesure, if you are american and use meme system, and what work you do(if you do like precizion work or just som junk in your garage)
>>
>>1221823
those are harder to find than digitals
>>
File: IMG_4812.jpg (191KB, 1062x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4812.jpg
191KB, 1062x1600px
>hey man can I borrow your calipers
Ok sure man
>thanks man, just had to scribe a few lines in this stainless here
O..ok
>>
>>1221880
>just had to scribe a few lines in this stainless here

I thought that was the reason for the sharp tips. when would you ever use the very tip to measure something.
>>
>>1221784
put your specs on grandad
>>
>>1221880
>why is there blood on the upper jaws
>i jammed them into a guys arm after he used it to scribe a bunch of shit
>jesus christ
>>
>>1221893
The reason for the sharp tips is to get inside hole edges.

Ascribing puts burs on the inside that ruins their accuracy.
>>
>>1221694
Been using the same dial calipers for a decade. Don't need that shit bruv
>>
>>1222209 Also me

>>1221745
Got some of these bad boys too, use them for woodwork and high tolerance shit.
>>
>>1222212
Same here. Dials (a cheap pair and a Starrett) and a vernier. Fuck that "I'd like to measure something, but my battery is dead" bullshit.
>>
File: IMG_20170207_205521263-L.jpg (112KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170207_205521263-L.jpg
112KB, 799x450px
Eh; buy once, cry once. They're not that expensive in terms of measurement equipment.

Electronic's nice for offset measurements... if you've got two holes of equal diameter, zero to the diameter of the holes and measure to the outside edges of the two, reading will be center-center.

Or this part's in metric? Press the IN/MM button.

Bought mine 10 years ago. Throw a battery in it every year or two. Keep a spare or two in the case and replace the spare the next time you're at the grocery store.
>>
>>1221905
>>1221880
they make carbide tipped calipers for those scribe-happy luddites
>>
File: ocar.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ocar.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>1221694
What's a good price for a (used) Memetoyo?

>>1221745
What about Starrett? What's a good price on a (used) one?
>>
>>1222292
buy a new mitutoyo from amazon. only a hundred bucks and will last a life time provided someone doesn't fuck it up

starrett's digi calipers are made in china so avoid.
>>
>>1221745

Im using ol' fashioned verniers too, or as i call them - "analog calipers". For 90% of stuff they're good enough. If super-duper precision is required i use a micrometer.
>>
Digital calipers are unmitigated bullshit
Dial calipers is where it's at
>>
>>1222432

What about parallax error?
>>
>>1222434
Shut one eye if it's so important jesus christ no one here needs less than 0.010 mm
>>
File: 1481578492282.png (136KB, 500x524px) Image search: [Google]
1481578492282.png
136KB, 500x524px
>>1221784
wut?
>>
>>1222434
>parallax
>>1222437
>Shut one eye
he was trolling but that was dumb response lol
>>
File: parallax error.png (116KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
parallax error.png
116KB, 250x250px
>>1222441
I'm not trolling, it's not as prominent on verniers but on dials the needle is often at a reasonable distance from the scale. They put mirrors in some cases like pic related but not everytime.
>>
>>1222446
if you need to worry about it you might need a finer scale to begin with!
>>
>>1222437
Nigga what
I regularly have to verify that shit is +/-.001.
Not everybody here is turning dildos on a harbor freight lathe.
>>
>>1221694
Worth it
QA at my work gets those, while we get the lower end $100 calipers.

Pretty huge difference between them.
Really depends on how precise you want to be.
>>
>>1221784
>What is margin of error
>>
>>1222446
Err body know we measure with calipers to high tolerance before heat treat, and micrometers while grinding after hear. Point is moot
>>
>>1221745
Why not dial then? It reads faster. And frankly, that is one of the big advantages of a caliper, for just making fairly accurate but fast measurements.
>>
>got a nice Mitutoyo for a birthday present
>use it all the time

it's great
>>
>>1222463
Then why are you using calipers?
>>
>>1222539
After heat treat *
>>
>>1222463
tell me more about these dildos. is this a lucrative profession?
>>
>>1222539
>point is moot
Moot is kill
>>
It is 100% worth it, I work in calibration and certify micrometers, caliper etc. For many major manufacturing companies. I find that the cheap calipers typically pass as far as measuring accurately for the most part, but they are of the absolute shitties build quality I've ever seen. The cheap ones never last more than two years. The mitutoyos, are always in better shape and don't have pieces missing from them. The mitutoyos are always worth it
>>
>>1222437
>no one here needs less than 0.010 mm
I regularly make shit to tenths at work.
>>
>>1222304
>starrett's digi calipers are made in china so avoid.
I have a pair at work, can confirm that they're shit. They're only marginally better than the $9 calipers from HoboFrieght
>>
>>1221694
Totally worth it
Fake or shitty caliper always had those jaw wobble (the real one still have it but very minimal)
>>
>>1222552
>turning out dildos in my New England workshop
>suddenly my Harbor Freight lathe seizes up and explodes
>dildo shards embedded everywhere
>tell everyone that I was working on an old purple Victorian table leg
>also lost an eye
>nicknamed One-Eyed WIllie from that point on
>they are still unaware of how deep that nickname goes...
>>
>>1222540
Dials are great when they are new. Very smooth, easy to read. But if you work in a dirty environment they will get fucked up quick. I'm usually in a metal machining / fab/ welding shop. Small chips or dust from grinding will get on the rack and wreck it in no time.
>>
>>1221694
I had a buyer remorse [spoiler]7 years ago[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Now I'm glad I had it[/spoiler]
>>
>>1222961
fug spoiler didn't work here
>>
I bought a shitty Powerfix caliper because it was cheap. how bad is a 0,02-0,03 measure error?

Related, is this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXpRfl0xqwY
>>
>>1223851
Not awful if that's all it actually is. Relatively speaking, calipers aren't that accurate anyway even expensive ones. They're just not meant for that.
>>
>>1222937
>>1222463
>use harbor freight lathe all the time
>one day the fuse blows
>put another in
>turn up the rpms
>fuse blows
>fuses always blows above 600rpms
this shit was free and it's still awful.
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitutoyo-500-196-20-30-150mm-6-Absolute-Digital-Digimatic-Vernier-Caliper-Steel-/162622304887?hash=item25dd0b7277:g:pKgAAOSwr6RZiSFE#rwid
Should I buy it ?
>>
>>1224095
>Mitutoyo calipers
>on eBay
>$10

There is no fucking way that isn't counterfeit (or ill-gotten goods).

Buy it and take it apart to show us what trickery the Chinese (and/or Spanish) have been up to lately.
>>
>>1221694
This entirely depends on what you're using it for. Do you really need tolerances of .5mm +-, or .003" +-? if yes, then yes, you need to shell out for a proper pair of calipers, but chances are if this is the case, then you actually need a Micrometer rather than a caliper, and you really need analog rather than digital. So if you're asking this question, then chances are you're fine with a plastic caliper from Lowes, that reads to the nearest .010
>>
>>1221893
I hate you people... I just died alittle.
>>
>>1222463
>you are talking in inches and arguing with a man talking millimeters.
Shut up.
>>
File: IMG_0183.jpg (97KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0183.jpg
97KB, 540x540px
>>1221694
>Digital calipers
>>
>>1223955
That was also another reason. I made a thread about mills and lathes some weeks ago, people told me that caliper wasn't very accurate (aome anon call it "guessin stick") and if I wanted precision then I should get a micrometer in first place.
>>
I bought a cheapo Chinese caliper since I don't really use them all that often. only downside is that they drain the battery even while off, so I flip the battery around when it's not in use.
>>
>>1224153
A good one on general OD measurements that can fit to the back of the jaws should be easily accurate to +-.001 if you have the right "feel". Everywhere else is +-.002 reliably.
>>
File: fatjellytits.jpg (275KB, 1040x585px) Image search: [Google]
fatjellytits.jpg
275KB, 1040x585px
>>1224141
>using calipers on anything with tight tolerances
>using dial or vernier calipers over digital calipers

Go away grandpa
>>
File: 1502213519082.jpg (122KB, 918x909px) Image search: [Google]
1502213519082.jpg
122KB, 918x909px
i regret not getting one that display fractions
>>
sophomore mech engineer here

Is getting a good set of calipers worth it? Machine shop used old dial mitutoyos which were great to work with but besides those I don't have access to any calipers. There's a maker spacer and I hate asking the design majors to borrow their calipers when i need to take measurement for projects.
>>
interesting story on digital caliper

http://woodgears.ca/caliper/
>>
>>1224539
>worth it

I don't see why it won't be worth it. You sound like you use equipment on a regular basis. If you think you won't be using them in the future, sit tight and keep borrowing until you finish your projects. Otherwise you're at another person's whim and at the availability of the equipment. Alternatively, sacrifice precision and reliability and get a shit set for cheap.

I don't do precision work at home so I didn't buy a good set, cheap shit 5 buck plastic calipers lets me measure most objects I need to deal with since I don't need to be accurate, but at the shop I have to use the town bike Mitutoyos, which thankfully have been taken care of, as I have to go down to the levels of 0.01mm. The need to measure with such accuracy eludes my current needs so I have yet to buy a good set of calipers, however the time spent measuring (and not to mention availability) at the shop doesn't push me to buy my own set.

Really depends on what you do.
>>
>>1224441
>t. Faggit mellenial who uses a cordless circ saw
>>
EE student here looking for calipers for my bench. Mostly to be used for component measurements to ensure correct PCB layout, getting right footprint dimensions, that kind of stuff, and perhaps the odd other misc thing. Probably won't get too dirty. Should I shell out for authentic mitutoyo or just get some cheap clone or other no name brand? I'm a bit of a poorfag. If I'm gonna drop $100 I'd rather do it on something like a scope as opposed to calipers but if it's REALLY LIFE CHANGINGLY WORTHWHILE I'll do it.
>>
>>1224593
Get a cheapo one if you're a poorfag
>>
>>1224598
Fuck, get analogue ones.

No batteries. Easy to check if zeroing. If you every drop them they cost like 20notes.

For people in sheds, its fine.
>>
>>1221720
I have a Pittsburgh, a Tesa and a real Mitutoyo. The Mitutoyo which is a delight to use, batteries usually last longer (but keep spares anyway) and is more precise.

Harbor Freight/Pittsburgh are good enough for most use. I leave my Mitutoyo and Tesa in my machine shop and use the Pittsburgh for other stuff (I'm a mechanic) because I won't cry if it gets dropped. It's feel is gritty but the fractional conversion is handy.
>>
>>1224557
>retard luddite who thinks that a dial caliper is going to be more accurate than a digital one (they arent)
>not understanding that calipers are literally only used on low tolerance parts, so even if it were true, for practical reasons it actually wouldnt matter

Im not even sure who you are trying to impress.
>>
>>1224555
>>1224593
Looked into it and got a iGaging ezcal for $20 at my hardware store.
Smooth and comes with fractional. Probably wont last that long but its good enough.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.