[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got a blocked cast iron soil pipe similar to the picture.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: 1196914_8a15d00b13.jpg (106KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1196914_8a15d00b13.jpg
106KB, 800x600px
I've got a blocked cast iron soil pipe similar to the picture. I suspect the blockage is hand towels or baby wipes. I removed the toilet and tried rodding the pipe directly but after 5 meters I can't push the rods any further, which means the blockage is beyond the bends seen in the picture and somewhere further down the pipe. I've tried several bottles of 91% sulfuric acid but that hasn't cleared it either.

What are my options here? I'm thinking I could use a hacksaw to cut out a segment of the pipe outside and then rod it from there or blast it with water. After it is cleared I could then repair the pipe with a plastic join.

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.
>>
File: mjqLT1uUKdv9abRAoWXBxSQ.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
mjqLT1uUKdv9abRAoWXBxSQ.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>1221258

Is pic related what you are calling a rod? It can go around some bends.

That vertical pipe might have a removable plug at the top (should, anyway) that makes it easy to clear it.

And you should never flush anything except toilet tissue because it is designed to fall apart when wet. If you are flushing baby wipes it's amazing that you have not had problems all along.

If you do add a plastic section you should use the part that has a wye where you add the screw on plug so you can unscrew it next week after flushing 100 more baby wipes and hand towels.
>>
File: 3775-580.jpg (12KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
3775-580.jpg
12KB, 450x450px
>>1221258

The section you add should look like this. You buy a short piece that is threaded and a plug that screws in, and you don't have to get the hacksaw out next time.
>>
>>1221261
The rods I've got are the same as this picture.

Unfortunately there are no access plugs, it's a 1930s cast iron pipe.

I didn't flush the baby wipes, I rented out my house for a while and the tenants blocked it.
>>
>>1221264
Forgot the picture, sorry
>>
File: 7832.jpg (30KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
7832.jpg
30KB, 333x500px
>>1221264

You could rent one of these. The electric motor rotates the cable and it's pretty good about going around bends.
>>
>>1221265
Did you use the corkscrew end and twist it to hook the shit out?
Put the rubber bunger in and use it like a plunger, hard and fast to build up vacuum to stuck out the blockage.
>>
>>1221267
This always works.
>>
>>1221258

Open the access port, spray in a full can of Great Stuff foam, then seal the access port up immediately. The expanding foam will push the clog out using pressure as it expands.
>>
>>1221281

Is there anything Great Stuff foam cannot do?

When my radiator accumulates bugs and debris, this is effective: 1. spray about four cans through your grill, concentrating on the really messy spots but aiming for complete coverage. 2. allow time for it to work. It has to bond to the debris. 3. after a few hours, it should be ready. go for a long drive, and the engine heat will dissolve the foam along with the debris. when you get home your radiator will look like new.

I learned this from a pro.
>>
>>1221281
How do you clear it out? I like it, but it seems like your fixing a problem with a problem
>>
>>1221264
>I rented out my house for a while and the tenants blocked it
what did the rental agreement say about damages? was there a security deposit?

if it was me I'd do what >>1221266 said, and either have deducted the cost out of their deposit or taken them to court to re-coup the money
>>
>>1221282
Did he also add touch of black paint to it?
>>
>>1221281
Then your pipes are full of expanding foam. Great job.
>>
>>1221299
u been maymay'd

OP, just use lye or caustic drain cleaner, you have iron pipes you'll be fine
>>
>>1221258
You might also consider what I call a "water snake" not sure what they're properly called. It's essentially a nozzle in front of a thick balloon that screws onto the end of a garden hose. Introduce it past the tee down the stack a little and turn on the water. The balloon expands to seal the down pipe and the mains pressure pushes just about any clog right down.
>>
Hit that bitch with the air compressor.
>>
>>1221334
>not sure what they're properly called
drain bladder
>>
File: download (81).jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (81).jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>1221258
I will shill thos untill i die.

Op.

Buy this from local hardware store.

Dump in shitter.

Dump hot watter down shitter, sink, and tub all at one time and flush that shjt out good.

Clog is gone.

Get a new wax ring or 2 and remoubt your shitter of course.

It will burn skin, melt clothes, melt carpet, eat the finish off of new fixtures, and water neutralizes it.

No shit. Thousands wasted on pkumbers and plumbing when a bottle of 10 buck magic could have done it
>>
File: $_58.jpg (19KB, 640x459px) Image search: [Google]
$_58.jpg
19KB, 640x459px
>>1221265
buy pic related at hardware store ~$25
use to pull blockage back to you

caustic lye or acid won't work on wipes

if you use a bladder and the blockage is below the wye, the water will go up the vertical portion - when it doesn't remove the clog and you shut off the water supply to the bladder, all the water in the vertical section will come back up where you are

just use the flexible snake to go around the ells and remove the blockage
>>
>>1221264
Even 1930s cast pipes have cleanouts. If you have one there you can recap it with an inflatable rubber cap. Just gotta chisel the old one out.
>>
File: ram.jpg (60KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ram.jpg
60KB, 640x480px
get one of these, depending on location should be rent-able.

Start at ~10 PSI and work up slowly, for cast your pipes should be able to handle ~75 psi no issue
>>
>>1221266
If a blow bag doesn't get it, this should always be the next step.

Why does anyone suggest any other crazy shit etc?

If you don't have a cleanout, you can pull a toilet and run the cable through there.
>>
>>1221472
Don't use that shit.
Just use the drain cable machine.

Compressed air blows shit up, even underground. One guy used one of those air plungers and blew up a toilet. Under ground, you can cause a crack, a small spot with hair roots, a weak hub, etc to blow open bigger if the air can get out of there easier than through the clog. If an over powered plunger can knock it loose, the cheap snakes would do it just fine.

And how would air or water hammer do anything about roots or things like baby wipes stuck on bad spots in pipes?
I once had to replace a partially collapsed line that would have been fine with normal usage, but the customer was flushing tampons or plugs as we call them and managed to clog the line fully.

Trying a blow bag/drain bladder first if reasonable, then drain cable machine, or straight to the machine, is the way to go.
>>
>>1221380
He already said he tried sulfuric acid; that's basically the contents of the bottle.
>>
>>1221475
>If you don't have a cleanout, you can pull a toilet and run the cable through there.
>>1221258
>I removed the toilet and tried rodding the pipe
If you don't read the first post in the thread you shouldn't offer advice.
>>
>>1221337
>compresses air in sewage piping
>shit literally explodes from some other toilet
>>
>>1221337
Compressed air in old cast iron pipes sounds like a great bomb.
>>
>>1221802
>>1221812
yeah but it'll clear the blockage!
>>
>>1221267
If the blockage is after the tee for the vent pipe, this will not work. But all he has to do is block the vent pipe and boom.
>>
>>1221258
One of those things that a pro take twenty minutes to clear all the way to the street...
>>
>>1221258
>I've tried several bottles of 91% sulfuric

You fucked that monkey, O.P.. Now you have a weak spot in the pipe just above the clog.

Good luck.
>>
>>1221258
Be sure to tell the plumber everything chemical wise that you put down there, no need in them getting hurt because you're stupid.
>>
>>1221766
In case anyone else sees this thread, rods are not the same as a cable.
And, in case anyone mistakes their terms, rods are not the same as sectional cable machines.

Rods might be able to grip into some things, but you aren't going to get it to cut up roots like a quickly spinning cutter head on a cable.
They are much less flexible and don't have the option of using cutter heads, or spinning fast enough to cut up roots.

Rods are somewhat flexible sticks that thread together.
You can't turn them forward and reverse back and forth like a cable machine to work things loose, you can't pull and push while they are quickly turning, you can't use them like blenders to turn hard clogs or sludge into a slurry that you can wash down the line.

Rods are only related to motorized cable machines as much as a hacksaw is to a circular saw. They both cut things, but have entirely different purposes and abilities.
>>
>>1221258
yea DIY board or not, roto-rooter would have that puppy flowing free in less than a half hour, I strongly suggest getting Pros out.
>>
>>1221380
banned in britian!
>>
File: Screenshot_20170322-142713.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170322-142713.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>1221765
And it didnt work.???

MOAR!!!

aint shitting. Got tree roots and one day my shutter plugged. 5 bottles, started smoking, went right down...

Bonus it is fun to play with. For those that havent /liquidshirt yet.

/liquidshirt
>>
>>1221802
Thats why check valve is.

One time when i was a kid remember hearing about a neighborhood of houses flooded in shit.

Turn 14 and start pulling wells.

Learn of the invention of a check valve.

Tried to tell dad we need them on all our water pipes and shitters.

>lol no anon

Be 17. Buy my own house. Sewer lines are shit. Descide rather than play with shitpipes run all new. Expensive af checkvalves on shitter line.

>mfw news story and galf the town is raising a bitchfit because some sort of backup. The smell is god aweful. Packing to head to a bros house for a few days cause fuckthis smell.

Newsfags show up
>anon how does it feel to have your home here ruined by the cities mistake?

Meh, feals fine because my house didnt get flioded in shit. I take responsibility for my own shit and trust nobody else to do it.
>>
>>1222976
If its an apartment
>#nothisproblem
>>
>>1223489
Well, theu are large toothed cucks. Why do you thibk we all said fuck your faggot tea and left?
>>
>>1221316
Shot of black. Now we know you're a faker.
>>
>>1223770

well that was embarrassing. I guess he won't be back around here anytime soon.
>>
>>1221258

did you rod from outside in? or just inside out? is there no outside drain you can lift the cover, locate the pipe and rod it that way, maybe it will dislodge or something
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.