[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Custom Sinker Molds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: $_1.jpg (23KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
23KB, 400x300px
Need to make various custom sinker shapes and sizes.

They sell a "blank mold" which seems to be just 2 blocks of metal with handles. Looks like aluminum maybe.

Could i carve these out with a dremel tool and polish or grind it for a smooth finish?

Before i go blowing money in molds and diamand bits or whatever i though i might check here and see if any other anons have carved out aluminum before.

Thoughts?
>>
>>1220639
>Could i carve these out with a dremel tool and polish or grind it for a smooth finish?

test that theory out on some scrap wood before you go spending a bunch of money
>>
Are you the novelty dong guy?
>>
>>1220841
I would hope not

after this amount of time one should have just said screw it, and at least tested something, regardless if it was ideal
>>
>>1220841
Such a fucking stupid idea too
>>
>>1220647
Seems to do okay on wood but burn bits fast.

I have plenty of oil to try on aluminum.

Maybe i should buy a few feet of that aluminum bar stock the blank molds seem to be made of and try it? Then if i get one right i guess i could bolt it together or have someone tig weld hinges?
>>
>>1220841
The what?
>>
>>1220967
I'm so confused. A local guy wants business logo shaped sinkers of various sizes and the machine shop wants $100 an hour (3 hour minimum) and i have to supply the blank molds.

Says he will pay $0.50 an ounce for sinkers and i can buy junk lead for about $1 a pound or $2.50 a pound in bar stock mailed to my door.

Seemed like an easy payday if i can make the molds myself.
>>
>>1221198
>no break even point for $2.50/lb
>sell 1600lbs of sinkers if you are making $.20/pound.
Jesus Christ anon, do highschool math
>>
>>1221198
I'll give you the same advice I gave the dick guy

go to one of the reddit boards about cnc, tell them what you need/upload models, and see if someone could do it cheaper
>>
>>1221198
I work in a mill. Post a burner email and I'll contact you.
>>
>>1220639
a Dremel is too shitty to do this in any reasonable amount of time.
Get a die grinder, the chinesium ones cost about as much as a Dremel, but have several times the power.
>>
>>1221230
I said an ounce not per sinker.

Calm your titties.

He was talking spoonbill season of 5-10oz sinkers.

Assume 8oz for most common that is $4 per 8oz sinker and $1.25 per 8oz. Lead ingot delivered.

$2.50 per pound ingots
$1.25 per 8oz ingot

$0.50 per oz sinker

1. $0.50
4. $2
8. $4
10. $5
>>
>>1221230
$0.50 oz = 16x.5 = 8.

$2.50 per pound ingot = $8 finished product per pound.

High school math. U mean elementary right?

Are u high?
>>
>>1221286
Thats blasphemy but i will do that. Thank u anon
>>
>>1221196
A guy wanted to use bullet casting blanks to make novelty dong fishing sinkers. He wasn't smart enough to call an engraver or create a cam file based on a penis model and then commission an hour or 4 of labor from a small CNC machine shop.
>>
>>1221306
Sweet!

[email protected]

Try that
>>
>>1221807
Cool. I didnt even think of this. My dad has a badass little air grinder i didnt even consider. It will be unwieldy as fuck bit should suffice for rough shaping. Thank u
>>
>>1221902
Kek! Im surprised the perv shops dont already sell them.

What are the odds that lonely old perverts spends their time fishing and making sinkers?

Then again i guess most of them are jist full of dicks and bachelorette party stuff.
>>
File: DSCN7380a.jpg (768KB, 2048x1530px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7380a.jpg
768KB, 2048x1530px
>>1220639
I make some lures from time to time and use lead. Pretty much anything will work for making a mold. Here's some lead sticks I made for lure weights. Yes, you can use a Dremel and a steel cutting bit to make pretty much any mold you want. Don't use diamond bits with aluminum. They just smear it around. You need to chunk it out with steel cutting bits (tungsten carbide cutter part # 9901).
>>
>>1221934
Carbide bits. Got it anon. Thanks. Was about to head to the store and buy a bunch of diamond ones.
>>
File: straight-flute-drills.jpg (16KB, 500x150px) Image search: [Google]
straight-flute-drills.jpg
16KB, 500x150px
>>1221954
If you need to drill aluminum, get "straight flute" drill bits. They don't have the helix flute that curls around the bit. If you try using a helix fluted drill bit in aluminum, it will be gripped by the aluminum and snap off even with cutting oil.
>>
>>1221969
you could also regrind a regular twist bit to have less relief for the cutting edges so it rubs on the bottom of the hole instead of biting deep, then spin it at sanic with a light feed so it chatters and makes little broken chips.
there's almost no chance of augering it in.

your solution's prettier though.
>>
>>1221969
>If you try using a helix fluted drill bit in aluminum, it will be gripped by the aluminum and snap off even with cutting oil.

This has never happened to me. I've drilled 5/8" into aluminum in one pass (no smaller bits involved) several inches deep. Maybe your bits were not sharp, or maybe it was a different aluminum alloy.
>>
>>1222973
Not him but I've had some issues when trying to drill aluminum using standard high speed drill bits. It usually happens when trying to drill too fast / applying too much pressure. If you keep the drill rotational speed fairly high and go slowly / apply light pressure then you shouldn't have an issue. The problem with trying to go too fast is that aluminum is much softer than the steel bits and if you apply too much pressure then the bit bites into the aluminum too deep and can then snap off, especially if you're using a smaller diameter drill bit.
>>
>>1223113

Ok. What I was doing was on a lathe where I could rotate as slowly as I liked, and pull the bit out periodically to clear the chips, and the stock and the bit were both controlled so there was no danger of it biting.
>>
>>1221969
every redneck with a bridgeport drills aluminum on a daily basis with regular twist drills, cletus
>>
>>1223128
>>1223113
>>1223113
>>1222973
>>1223124
Use the right tool for the job. That happens to be straight fluted drill bits. The kind that injects cutting fluid as it goes are the best.
>>
>>1223128
How do I get to be one of those rednecks?
>inb4 get a bridgeport
>>
i use drills as endimlls and even still thats never happened to me. maybe try using the right speeds and feeds
>>
>>1221969
Did not know this. Handy as i was going to drill holes and maybe put a few pins in to line them up amd bolt them together with wing nuts probably if i cant get a proper hinge on them.
>>
>>1222973
Thats another thing. Cant figure out wjat alloy the "blank" sinker molds are. Or if it even matters really? Have some bar stock in the mail and i guess i will see how it goes.

If i fuck up can i just have the cuts tig welded and buff it back down or should i just buy new stock and start over?
>>
>>1223519
Well anon i wass gonna clamp my dewalt drill to a table so i reckon plenty of keystone light and grow a beard while doing diy the most dangerous way possible?
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.