[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /diy/, i got my hands on a lil turbo and im thinking about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: sprocket-1637.jpg (244KB, 909x682px) Image search: [Google]
sprocket-1637.jpg
244KB, 909x682px
hey /diy/, i got my hands on a lil turbo and im thinking about slapping it on my old bike because living is for scrubs. my only concern is that the exhaust size for the turbine is much too small, but it came off of a diesel with 2 extra cylinders and over a liter more displacement so would it really matter for my application?

>my bike
400cc inline twin making 45hp and 10k redline with one 1.5" pipe per cylinder

>parent engine
1500cc inline 4 diesel making 55hp at 3k

>turbo
ihi rhf4
64mm compressor / 32mm turbine
up to 332 cfm air flow (bike would suck about 150 cfm max with boost)
max 2.7 pressure ratio (about 40 psi, i would do like 7 max)
rated for 60-175hp gas engines
>>
>>1219836
Do a little afro engineering and see what happens
>>
>>1219839
That would require money and effort that I don't want to waste on something that won't work
>>
>>1219836
I'm going to assume that you have a 4 stroke engine?
>>
>>1219849
Yes
>>
>>1219836
while the bike engine pumps less air even at 10k RPM, it's not that much less then the diesel at 3k RPM.

The turbo lag alone will probably make this not worth it, not sure what will happen at peak RPM, but it definitely should boost.
>>
Your biggest concern will probably be theoil rreturn to the pan
>>
>>1219836
lag will be huge. you also wont have enough fuel and will run lean as fuck as soon as it finally spools which will detonate and destroy the engine first time out.

>old bike
probably carbs. cant FI bike carbs easily. if efi needs bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, fuel controller
>>
>>1219898
It's more for the novelty of it, not the actual performance

>>1219908
I can easily make adapters to pull oil either from the oil pressure switch port or from the drain hole (if i use an electric pump) and return it via the dipstick screw plus it would have a cooler so I don't have boiling oil in the engine

>>1219937
I know I'm trying to figure out either some sort of secondary injection or how to jet the carbs so it doesn't melt the engine but won't be too rich to run. Turboing carburators is as easy as an electric pump, boost referenced regulator, and plugging any atmospheric holes. After that it's just a matter of tuning. Draw through is even easier but I don't feel like having a backfire blow up my turbo.
>>
If boost is kept low, as in 7-10 lbs, you might not have to jet it, if you made a manifold that completely in cases the carbs, it should make the carbs believe they are seeing atmospheric pressure. Btw Google is your friend on this subject, there are plenty of forums, and write ups that explain how to turbo quad carbed motors
>>
Key words would be blow through carb bike
>>
>>1220060
>>1220062
I would still like secondary injection or something to play it safe, maybe like a check valve with a nozzle coming from the regulator that is set to push open once the fuel pressure gets over a certain point
I don't want to do a pressure box because it would be a nightmare to seal with 3 cables and a fuel line
Ive done a whole lot of googling but its mostly general stuff because no one really turbos my bike because it's an 80s street bike and I know what to do and how to do it, I just wanted to know if people thought that the Turbo size would be too little or too much for the engine
>>
>>1220164
Well you're gonna have awful lag but it should boost well at high rpm according to my wild speculations.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.