[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homemade Crossbow?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
So I'm building a crossbow. I cut the body out of a 4x4, and am using a cord rated to stand 175 lbs of force as the string. I'm using a ratchet strap as an aid for drawing back the bowstring (I intend for the bow to be as powerful as possible so I need an aid to draw it back. The length of the draw is approximately 13 inches.

I need help selecting a material that would be suitable for the bow itself. I tried using a 3/4 inch PVC pipe with a smaller pipe jammed inside of it but it couldn't handle the force. I cut out at 3/4 inch diameter notch to hold the pipe so a new material must fit in the hole must accomodate it.

My process for drawing the back the bowstring is also lacking. I put a caribeener in on the ratchet strap and hooked it onto the bowstring. But when I draw ot back, there is no way to relaese it because the force on the line is so strong you can't take it off. I need a cheap way to release the string off of the strap. (Keep in mind I'm not using the strap to release the string; I have a trigger mechanism already set up one it gets drawn back)

Tl;dr: i need a bow material and release mechanism to handle a strong crossbow
>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/JoergSprave

id use one of his mechanism's.
they seem pretty simple.

dunno about the bow tho
>>
>>1219738

Research how crossbows work. Tell us about your trigger mechanism. What did people use for the bow material? What do they use now?
>>
I'm completely serious here: look at diagrams of medieval crossbows.
da Vinci's sketches are good too.
Look up cranequin and windlass crossbows.
>>
>>1219751
It is a trigger that functions like a pinball plunger; it is springloaded and rests in an upright position. When the string is drawn across the trigger, it the trigger depresses. Once it clears, the spring pops it back up. To release you pull down. Iron/steel seemed like a good material. I tried using a metal rod but it wasn't flexible enough. The hole I drilled would make it difficult/impossible to incorporate a metal strip. PVC seemed to the the go-to dor DIY bows, but mine is simply too powerful for it
>>
>>1219753
I know, I've looked at those when designing mine. Everything on mine worked fine until my PVC broke. I'm not looking to change the design, just to improve my existing model
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5IhO8HmNqU
>>
File: sonic dense.png (476KB, 595x371px) Image search: [Google]
sonic dense.png
476KB, 595x371px
>>1219738
Son, I don't believe you have the mental capacity to responsibly own a crossbow.

There are hundreds of ways you could have made one, even a shitty one like you were going to out of a pine 4x4.

You could have done some research.

You don't need a 'process' for drawing back a PVC bow string. You need your hands. You broke your PVC because you were trying to pull it back with a ratchet.

The ratchet isn't even a good solution to pulling a high draw bow, it's only a few inches of leverage, you would be able to pull more by hand anyway because it would be more ergonomic.
>>
>>1219776
You're right. He might die.

We made a pocket ballista with a length of I beam and a set of truck leaf springs.
The way we tensioned it was a scissor jack threaded rod in a channel that functioned like the tensioner on a chainsaw.

I can't fucking remember the trigger.
It was possible to carry it by yourself, and we were launching 6 foot bamboo bolts with steel heads and just trailing string for fletching about 300 feet into the woods where they would get stuck in trees and shatter. Good times.
>>
>>1219776
Well, i couldn't draw it back with my hands (even while standing on it or pressing the bow against my cheat for extra leverage) and the ratchet seemed to work for me.
>>
OP, judging by what you posted, I'd start over.
I know it sucks, but take it from an ancient projectile weapon enthusiast: you're gonna fuck your shit if you aren't careful.
I still have some gnarly scars from an onager that catastrophically failed, because I made some bad calculations.
>>
>>1219798
What kind of weapons do you like that are diy-able? I was thinking about making an atatal
>>
>>1219798
I was fearing that. But that makes sense. Maybe I should just slacken the line, ditch the ratchet and make it a weaker wooden dowel shooter? I think that would be a safe comprise until I get more experience, no?

It would solve both my issue already I could still have some fun with it.
>>
>>1219804
Atlatls are super fun lol.
Just gotta make sure you get the lengths correct or it'll affect your range and stuff.
Staff slings are another fun one that are easy to make.
>>1219805
http://www.instructables.com/id/homemade-cross-bow/

Most diy crossbows are some variation on this style. It worked for a very long time, and if it does shatter, it's usually just the limbs and they aren't gonna impale you.
'laminations' for lack of the right term are your friend.
>>
>>1219807
Looks like I got some projects to get working on. I really want some shuriken to fuck around with but I have no tools for metal, may have to be a buy fag for those. They were fun the last time I threw them.
>>
File: hunters crossbow (1).jpg (1MB, 1762x2659px) Image search: [Google]
hunters crossbow (1).jpg
1MB, 1762x2659px
Here, I've saved it years ago. Maybe it'll help you.
>>
File: hunters crossbow (2).jpg (1MB, 1808x2722px) Image search: [Google]
hunters crossbow (2).jpg
1MB, 1808x2722px
>>1220693
2/4
>>
File: hunters crossbow (3).jpg (956KB, 1822x2749px) Image search: [Google]
hunters crossbow (3).jpg
956KB, 1822x2749px
>>1220694
3/4
>>
File: hunters crossbow(4).jpg (981KB, 1810x2728px) Image search: [Google]
hunters crossbow(4).jpg
981KB, 1810x2728px
>>1220696
4/4
>>
>>1219738

Stock (the body): I'd suggest black locust, oak, hickory, or osage.

Lath (the bow part): Depends on what kind of poundage you want. Myself, I like something I can cock without a device, so I use wood. If you want way more oomph, then I'd suggest leaf spring steel (You *will* need a dedicated cocking device if you go this route) shaped down and bolted to the stock.

Trigger (the makey shot part): I prefer the simple pin and lever design, but if you don't mind machining/metalworking, the nut design would be more 'modern' looking.

Don't forget to reinforce the area around your trigger with some metal plates, by the by.
>>
how do I make auto loading crossbow?
>>
File: 1496599789242.png (100KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1496599789242.png
100KB, 250x250px
>>1219779
>leaf springs
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.