[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solar mount

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 14

File: 1.jpg (805KB, 948x1684px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
805KB, 948x1684px
I have a solar panel I want to mount atop a Tuff Shed. What's the trick to avoiding a leaky roof? pic related
>>
File: 2.jpg (566KB, 1684x948px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
566KB, 1684x948px
>>1219665
I don't know for sure what materials to use yet, but ideally just some inexpensive 2x4s and screws -- something I can get easily for cheap, not necessarily pretty or high quality. The shed is already something we're considering demolishing in favor of a larger one, so I'm not _terribly_ concerned if something goes a little awry, but any advice for someone who's never done any sort of roof work before would be nice.
>>
File: 3.jpg (1MB, 1684x948px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
1MB, 1684x948px
>>1219665
>>
>>1219669

clean off the moss you degenerate.
>>
>>1219665

If you're not worried about high winds, you could join your 2x4s at the same angle as the roof and build them into a base that just rests on top.
>>
>>1219665
>Tuff Shed
Does literally everything have a brand name now? That's a shed. There's nothing Tuff about it.
>>
>>1219685
Kleenex or Tissue?
>>
>>1219665

The trick is not piercing the roof. Use roof patch to glue some 2x4s on it, then mount the panel to those.
>>
>>1219682
This seems non-intrusive and effective, thanks.
>>
>>1219710
.. to add to this, use LePage's NoMoreNails or a PL product for exterior use. I'm not sure how well it will adhere to the sandy surface of an asphalt shingle and if it will work loose over time.

A buddy used some angle iron & used galvanized lag bolts to secure it on a shed roof like yours pictured. I think he caulked around the tips that poked thru. Then the panel was secured to the angle iron.
>>
>>1219710
I used lag bolts. Drilled a small hole, covered it in a shit ton of silicone, then lag bolted into the silicone while it was wet to make a tight seal. 2 years in, not a drop of water yet.
>>
>>1219682
Not sure exactly what this anon meant, but you could secure the 2x4's to the sides of the shed, and 'build up and over' the roof.
I'm assuming that's what they meant.

>>1219710
Using glue is always an option, but I do recommend making sure you have the right glue to join the surfaces you have.

>>1219930
This is probably the best and most secure option, and if you don't care too much about fucking up (don't see how but... hey... it's a hole in a roof, always a risk.); this is the way to go.

Extra Cheap Mode:
Lag-bolt (with gratuitous amounts of silicone sealant all over that bolt, in the pilot hole, and under the 2x4 around the hole) some 2x4's to the roof. If you care enough, use treated wood that will hold up to being outdoors.

These will be your 'rails'.
Use brackets of some sort (or panel clamps if you wanna be fancy) to secure your panel(s) to the roof.

Long as you measure out everything ahead of time, stage it on the ground, etc.; you shouldn't have any problem. And it'll be cheap.

MAKE SURE whatever you do, to leave room for airflow under the panel. Otherwise, bye-bye efficiency, and it will generally decrease your panel's longevity.
I would recommend bolting two 'rails' to the roof, and then (at a perpendicular angle, as if building a square on the roof) overlap two more 2x4's.
That way, your panel will sit about 3" off the roof to start with, which will really help it not overheat as bad.
>>
File: muhpanels.jpg (3MB, 3328x1872px) Image search: [Google]
muhpanels.jpg
3MB, 3328x1872px
Bumping with solar panel pictures.

Mounting is always a challenge, in my opinion the hardest challenge, in any solar system.

New ideas are always good.
>>
solar is dum, you cant even BBQ with it
>>
>>1221543
Wut...? Not really picking up what you're dropping here...

Also... if I wanted to cook BBQ like a fucking pleb on an electric griddle... sure I could.
>>
>>1221565
you cant BBQ without good clean propane gas. how is solar going to get me propane gas?
>>
File: Wilson-Solar-Grill-2.jpg (122KB, 728x485px) Image search: [Google]
Wilson-Solar-Grill-2.jpg
122KB, 728x485px
>>1221543
>>1221565
>>1221732
There's less expensive models too, but I think you get the idea.
>>
>>1221732
I suppose it won't directly give you propane...
Personally, I like charcoal grills. I'll use propane if I'm being lazy but charcoal is where it's at.
Or you can use wood too, that's always good.

>>1221734
Guess it wouldn't have the same flavor as a charcoal grill, but damn. Looks interesting.
>>
Solar installer here. Best solution is to go to the closest electrical supply, Cooper or the like, and get a 4pc box of any brand solar mounts. They are flashings thatslide under the shingles. You drill a pilot hole into the rafter, slide in flashing, then bolt the mount through the flashing into the rafter. If you want to go crazy, put some roofing tar in the hole. We primarily use iron ridge brand, but any rail-less system will work.
>>
>>1221863
Also whichever brand or style you choose, the box will come with instructions.
>>
File: 1.png (2MB, 1263x711px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
2MB, 1263x711px
OP reporting in.

I ended up building a shitty frame for the panel to rest in, using $3 worth of reclaimed wood.
>>
File: 2.png (2MB, 1263x711px) Image search: [Google]
2.png
2MB, 1263x711px
In favor of keeping things both cheap as fuck and fairly simple, the frame is not directly affixed to the shed, but is instead held by some rope going through various holes I drilled in the shitty wooden frame.
>>
File: 3.png (2MB, 1263x711px) Image search: [Google]
3.png
2MB, 1263x711px
The frame is literally just resting on the roof. There's enough friction that it precariously stays without any additional support. I put some feet on the corners to elevate it a smidge and allow for slightly better airflow underneath.
>>
File: 4.png (1MB, 1263x711px) Image search: [Google]
4.png
1MB, 1263x711px
The ropes are going through some eye hooks attached to the opposite face of the shed.
>>
File: 5.png (1MB, 1263x711px) Image search: [Google]
5.png
1MB, 1263x711px
Just for shits and giggles, here's one of the charge controllers and batteries I have hooked up to the panel.
>>
File: 6.png (1MB, 1263x711px) Image search: [Google]
6.png
1MB, 1263x711px
And here's the LED strip in the shed that the battery powers.
>>
I also have an extension cord running the rest of the DC into my house's basement, hooked up to another charge controller.
>>
File: 7.png (1MB, 1263x711px) Image search: [Google]
7.png
1MB, 1263x711px
Forgot to attach relevant photo
>>
File: 8.jpg (350KB, 1263x711px) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
350KB, 1263x711px
And here's my shitty fire hazard of a battery bank
>>
>>1223862
>>1223868
>>1223869
>>1223871
>>1223876
>>1223877
>>1223882
>>1223884
>>1223887
Thats some real ghetto shit but as long as it feels secure it should be fine
I would make a knot inside the frame
So that it's being pulled down to the frame and not being held down by gravity and your relience on friction will be less
Idk if you understand what I mean but looks okay
I would have done a small L shaped feature on top so it is hanging from roof and then pulled down with rope but looks fine
>>
>>1224693
Actually I would do the L thing and have it hanging from the top cuz I'm a paranoid dude
Where i live there are alot of tropical storm/fast winds that pass by so I wouldn't feel comfortable just leaving it up to friction
My two cents on that
>>
>>1221734
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.