[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out of all your tools, small and big, cheap and expensive, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 9

File: shop vac.jpg (103KB, 1170x1170px) Image search: [Google]
shop vac.jpg
103KB, 1170x1170px
Out of all your tools, small and big, cheap and expensive, what do you find yourself using the most?

I'll start: Shopvac
>>
File: square.jpg (19KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
square.jpg
19KB, 480x270px
>>1219088
use it almost every day with a carbide scribe
along with a $10 digital caliper
>>
>>1219088
Checked. Tape measure is my most used.
>>
>>1219088
Hammer, hands down
>knocking things into alignment
Check
>driving nails
Check
>breaking stuff
Check
>clobbering mice and rats
Check
>>
This guy right here. Super torque-y and useful, even though it can rough up bolts compared to my pliers-wrench also from knipex. Honorable mentions are my tape measure and ratcheting screwdriver.

As far as my daily job goes, I love my 18 inch extruded aluminum engineering scale and my Rotring 2mm lead holder. I work in urban planning.
>>
>>1219150
>clobbering mice and rats

It would have to be a major infestation to get close enough to one rodent to clobber it with a hammer. In other words, I don't believe you.
>>
Tape measure, hammer, box cutter are the ones that never stay put away.
>>
File: 542773huskyproscrewdriver[1].png (429KB, 1080x555px) Image search: [Google]
542773huskyproscrewdriver[1].png
429KB, 1080x555px
>>1219088

Christ...I have so many types of tools from all the bullshit I've dabbled in over the years...um...

Gonna have to go with the screwdriver. Pic related has served me well for a long time now, despite one incident in which it was abused by my uncle (using it with one of the longer bits to pry something loose).
>>
>>1219088
Honestly probably a tie between electric drill and my metal filing set.

Filing sets are good for smoothing out wood, metal, I've even used them as drill bits.
>>
This
>>
>>1219198
What do you use that for?

I used a shop vac to help heat up coal in a homemade furnace.

Ended up melting aluminum,

what could a peashooter like that be used for?
>>
>>1219198
>>1219227
Why does the advert have a guy randomly blowing a circle in the middle of a pile of sawdust?
>>
>>1219230
Faster than broom?

If I had one of those I'd probably do that instead of sweeping to be honest.

Is it better to have a tidy workshop though?
>>
File: i-J2n7drk-L.jpg (73KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-J2n7drk-L.jpg
73KB, 799x450px
Impact driver, by a long shot.

After I bought one, I couldn't believe I went so long without one.

Pic extremely fucking related, about 2 hours ago.
>>
>>1219238
What if you disable the torque limiter on your hand drill?

Doesn't that do the job too?
>>
>>1219198
Mostly garage cleanup. I just open both garage doors and blow all the dust outside.

But yes, I also use it to start charcoal and it's incredibly effective for that.
>>
>>1219240
It's close in terms of functionality, but impact drivers are much shorter, lighter, and have a fixed hex chuck so they won't loosen up.

I have yet to see n impact driver which has a variable speed controlled any other way than how far the trigger is depressed, which is hard to get used to. Would be nice if someone made one with a dial or something to control impacts per minute.
>>
>>1219243
Something like a programmable hand drill would be cool too. And much more versatile for the amateur.

Do you dabble with engines?
>>
>>1219245
Haven't touched an engine in like 15 years, since I started making enough money to buy new cars every few years :).

What are you envisioning with a programmable hand drill though? I don't think I understand...
>>
>>1219088
Caliper.
I find that I don't actually make very many things.
>>
chisels.
>>
>>1219248
Drills are pretty useful for wood and metalwork, or even acting as an impact driver.

It would be cheap and easy to attach a small programmable computer as a controller for the drill,

Then you could sit at home, experimenting to see what torques work with what material.

You could even use it as a programmable impact driver.

Probably a silly idea though
>>
>>1219248
anyway; goodnight
>>
These exact pliers hands down.
>>
File: IMG_20170518_214034535_HDR-L.jpg (143KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170518_214034535_HDR-L.jpg
143KB, 799x450px
>>1219240
>>1219252
Still sucks... spins and cams out the screw head before it drives it all the way in; where an impact turns the screw without camming it out.
Wrong tool for the job.

>>1219243
The Milwaukee kit I have now has 3 (plus one "drill" mode I never use) steps that limit its output.

"1" works great for little screwdrivery shit ... wallplates/outlets/switches, for example.
"2" is my general-use setting. About the same tq as my old Craftsman kit.
"3" is a good boost in power over "2" for bigger projects, but not nearly as torquey as my 1/2" air impact is.

Burned out two of my old Craftsman drills, both times drilling through brick.
When all the 19.2V "C3" craftsman batteries I had finally quit holding a charge... took a step back and looked at the craftsman setup I had, what I could get for it on ebay (about $100), and what I could get a better kit for.
Honestly, no regerts about the Milwaukee M18 Fuel stuff I got. Drill has drill/driver/hammer modes, impact has the limit settings mentioned above, and the circ saw does what I need it to without the hassle of a cord.

My Craftsman kit did me well for about 8 years, and it'd probably do just fine for most DIYers.
But as I find myself doing more work in the higher end of the DIY spectrum and into professional use, I can't afford to have another drill die on me on the top of a mountain or under a trailer.

I've heard the 3/8" ratchet driver is kind of the same way - once you get one, you don't know how you wrenched without one and kick yourself for not getting one sooner.

And these M18 batteries last for-fucking-ever.

>>1219248
Milwaukee's "onekey" can let you program torque/rpm values into some of their products. For a professional who needs one limit for one project (drywall screws, for example) I could see that being handy... set it and just go to town full-trigger vs. throttling it and fucking up walls. Average homeowner, probably not worth the cost.
>>
File: Digital_Caliper_4f1586e3aaceb.jpg (64KB, 800x302px) Image search: [Google]
Digital_Caliper_4f1586e3aaceb.jpg
64KB, 800x302px
this amazing $10 piece of shit
>>
>>1219243
Makita does an adjustable speed impact driver - DTD154Z- but that is like $100 more than the regular, Brushless one (DTD153Z). So I went for the regular.
>>
>>1219267
Digital or regular better?
>>
>>1219088
My buddy sage has a hammer i use
>>
>>1219274
>Digital or regular better?

digital is easier to use but you might need to have spare batteries on hand.

I keep one in my truck and the battery was always dead until I realized that even in the case it could bounce around and turn on frequently; once i fixed that the battery life was back to normal.
>>
>>1219340
>My buddy sage has a hammer i use

Did you just sage three threads and announce your sage in all three? Quite the little shitposter are we?
>>
>>1219267
>>1219344
These apparently draw quite a lot of power, a brand new battery will last at most about ten months with minimal use (they draw current even when turned off). I still use the same crap because any brand name one costs way more, wish they just added an on-off switch to it.
>>
Definitely my drill, most recent story:

>Bluetooth speaker becomes unresponsive
>Power light is stuck barely on, wont turn off
>Dont want to wait until the battery dies naturally, so I dissasemble it
>Comes apart mostly easy, last section held in by 4 screws
>3 come out easy, 1 is stripped as fuck for some reason
>Break out the ol' drill and obliterate said screw into non-existence
>Disconnect / reconnect battery, reassemble, problem fixed
>>
>>1219088
5mm allen key, mainly work on bikes so its a must.
>>
>>1219088
same OP, and my sander
>>
>>1219170
You put glue traps out. Wait for the tiny yelps to start coming from behind the fridge or ceiling or whatever, pull it out and give it a good whack in the backyard. My dad used to lay the "occupied" traps glue side down and run them over in the alley, but I see a hammer as a little more humane.
>>
a carpenters pencil and 30' tape
>>
>>1219458
just buy those 10 packs of 'maxell' button cells off ebay for $1
>>
>>1219674
jesus
>>
>>1219674
lol I think running them over with your vehicle sounds a LOT better. With a hammer, it's up-close and personal.
>>
>>1219732
I accidentally caught a few bats with glue traps in my attic (I was trying to catch mice, so no clue how bats got in there).

I took them out back and smashed them with my boot to put them out of their misery. I didn't want to kill bats, but I wasn't about to try to free them from the glue trap and I didn't want them in my attic anyway.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.