[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AC unit parts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: comp.jpg (184KB, 1344x760px) Image search: [Google]
comp.jpg
184KB, 1344x760px
Dismantled an old AC unit, wondering what some of the items can be used for, and the proper way to go about it. The unit has a pinhole leak in the front coil/fin assembly. I turned it on after it sitting for awhile and compressed air started spraying out, thinking this was the refrigerant.

-Compressor assembly. Central cylinder with attached coils/fins on either side, and is all one piece. I believe there is no pressure in this system but is there a way to check? Also, how does the compressor work if I attach it to a power supply?

-Large capacitor with 3 terminals on top. 370VAC, 7.0/0.9A

-AC/DC converter. 115VAC to 15VDC/250mA

-Fan motor. 115VAC, 62W, 1.0A

-Display, power cord, fans for the motor

I was thinking the motor could power an outdoor porch fan, ideally hanging vertically. Don't know where to start with the other components. Hook them up and see what happens?
>>
File: tronics.jpg (137KB, 760x1344px) Image search: [Google]
tronics.jpg
137KB, 760x1344px
capacitor and converter slightly out of focus behind it
>>
File: motor.jpg (146KB, 760x1344px)
motor.jpg
146KB, 760x1344px
motor, rod passes all the way through
>>
how many farads is the cap?

use the copper from coils to make a rail gun
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egnFpRcYn7I

this vid shows how to hook the compressor to capacitor to power plug
>>
>>1218455
use the condenser or evaporator as a heat exchanger for some fluid
>>
>>1218475
Moonshine still?
>>
>>1218473
The compressors make good vac-pumps for experimenting, or can be made into decent little air compressors.
>>
>>1218489
dunno, can you ever completely wash out the refrigerant oil?
>>
>>1218498
This seems like a start and what I will be working on tomorrow. that guy's vid on turning an old fridge compressor into a bench top setup. Seems that will use up the compressor and capacitor as they are used together.
>>
>>1218456
Is the 'converter' actually a transformer?
>>
File: 1454981886050.jpg (50KB, 500x633px) Image search: [Google]
1454981886050.jpg
50KB, 500x633px
>>1218473
After confirming the compressor works with a direct wire setup you would install a switch. How would you go about installing a pressure relief setup to prevent explosion?
>>
>>1218465
looks like 50 and 8 on the dual cap. 50 for one side and 8 for the other
>>
>>1218455
these systems are built with a particular gas in mind, which determine the temperature range you can reach at specific pressures, which determine what you can use the system for.

the compressor might have the refrigerant listed on it.

you can find leaks by using an UV dye pack (auto parts store) and filling the system with nitrogen.

with some ingenuity and creativity you might be able to fabricate a kegerator, or a butt-ugly mini fridge.
>>
>>1218528
50 farads??? is there a symbol with a letter by the F, or is it just F?
>>
>>1218558
50 micro farads from >>1218456 pic
50 for the compressor side of the capacitor and 8 for the fan side.. i think
>>
Well, you can fix the hole with some bronze and you have a working AC
>>
>>1218566
yeah i was about to say you could sell that thing for gold $$$
>>
>>1218498
I second this, my father used to de this before air compressors became so cheap
>>
gibe either the condenser or evaporator (the radiators) to me.

I need one to use as an aftercooler for an air compressor.
>>
>>1218531
>creativity you might be able to fabricate a kegerator, or a butt-ugly mini fridge

Yeah, I made a beer cooler that way. The main problems were messing with the thermostat and making a casing that didn't look awful. It ended up looking like a refrigerator built from from buck rogers crashed spaceship built by post apocalyptic retards. It worked, it closed nicely, but too much mylar and aluminum scap covering the wood and insulation.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.