[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flooded workshop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: 20170729_145816.jpg (2MB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
20170729_145816.jpg
2MB, 2016x1512px
Hello, /diy/.

It's been a bad birthday for me.
The basement of the house of my parents got flooded and took my part of the workshop, too.
By flooded, i mean, it was covered on the level of basement windows, enough to bust the electrical panel board, the freezer and the gas heater unit, as well as a ton of books, encyclopedias and practical manuals, the library. It's gone. It did really hurt.
Neighbours helped to clear the basement, thanks to them.
I have tried to repair the freezer by throwing the contents out, cleaning it with soap and blow every corner, including electronics that might have had moisture on it with pressured air (i have a compressor).
After checking its earth, isolation resistance (90MOhm) and residue current (80mA), i have tried to switch it on. I was sure the electronics were dry.
Unfortunately, i think i blew the board with the isolation test.
As i am aware that a new freezer would cost about a thousand eurobucks and i still have to repurchase the gas heater unit as well... I was thinking to use a programmable controller board.

The insurance weazeled out of paying me btw.I have to pay for all of it for myself.

Many thoughts crossed my mind after the damage that has been done. The little creek never has been fed by so many rains, since about 100 years in this place. I was on business trip as it happened - in only one hour, the creek flooded the whole street, my elderly parents couldn't do a thing.

I think this fall and most definitely next year this story will repeat itself and i want to be prepared against it. But i suppose that closing the basement windows with a plastic frame with inflatable seal edges that presses itself inside the window with water pressure won't do a thing against the flood?
I guess i will have to get a better insurance policy, but back to the damage control, where i'd like to ask your opinion:

What could be done to remove rust from the electric tools? Should i even bother with repairs?
>>
>>1218363
I restore old tools. Picture related, an old Thor I just picked up today. Restoring old tools is easy as fuck. It is all wires, switches, aluminum, and steel. Get the muck off, de-rust everything, done.

Modern tools? Mixed bag. They often have plastic parts that are hard to clean (can't use solvents), electronic parts they can't deal with water, sensors that will never be right after a flood. I tried to fix a mate's drill that got left in his truck bed during a rainstorm. I had to buy a replacement trigger for him because it lost all speed control and became full speed only. Most of the other bits are easy. Motors generally just need a cleaning, all metal chucks can be fairly easily disassembled and de-rusted (Evaporust is great for that), and wires generally aren't a problem.
>>
>>1218377

old drills are cool, except that VSR really makes a difference.

why is that pic called "pneumatic"?
>>
>>1218377
Thank you for the reply.
I think i will give it a hand at disassembly tomorrow and tell how it went.
>>
>>1218363

>I guess i will have to get a better insurance policy

I'm afriad nobody is ever going to ensure you now after a flood. This kind of thing is going to happen more and more due to climate change.
My house has a little stream coming down a mountain beside it and I am preparing sandbags since old people say that every 20 years or so the land floods, it will probably be a disaster in 20-40 years time.
Sorry about your stuff.
>>
>>1218363
>It's been a bad birthday for me.
Herzlichen Glückwunsch Harzfag.
Anyway, I would try to rescue the expensive tools and the tools you need the most. Completely disassemble everything and spray a water displacer on it. Next step is to remove the rust without damaging the parts. as mentioned by >>1218377 Evaporust is mostly non agressive. Submerge them into something like that. You can get a 5L bucket Evaporust from Amazon Germany for 50 bucks.

>>1218388
Because it is driven with a compressor.
>>
>>1218400
>Because it is driven with a compressor.

that's an air tool? it has an electric cord and no air coupling.
>>
>>1218404

unless that black thing is an airline, in which case I understand.
>>
>>1218397
you're close to the right answer but as someone who works for an insurance company many wont bother to check claims history as far as homes go. they ask you say no
>>
>>1218404
>>1218405
I am not the poster of the picture but I have seen and handled similar drills. But you are right. I looked it up: The company is called 'Thor Electric and Pneumatic Tools' so the title of the picture is somewhat misleading.
>>
>>1218412

Nobody is ever going to jew an insurance company. They probably have maps of all areas that have flooded, at least they do in this country.
>>
>>1218388
that black thing coming out the bottom is a compressed air hose, not a power cable
>>
>>1218363
>The insurance weazeled out of paying me

Thats real surprising...
>>
>>1218437
So the air compressor is built into the Europlug on the end I guess?
>>
>>1218377
I wouldnt use that old pos
un grounded tools will knock your dick off
>>
File: 3823-B[1].jpg (123KB, 789x522px) Image search: [Google]
3823-B[1].jpg
123KB, 789x522px
>>1218388
Hi. I'm the guy that posted the picture. Those other people that replied to you? They gonna get burned here in a second.

>>1218400
>Because it is driven with a compressor.
>>1218437
>that black thing coming out the bottom is a compressed air hose, not a power cable

Nope. It is named that because. originally, the company was called the Independent Pneumatic Tool Co.

>>1218404
Bingo

>>1218416
They changed their name to the Thor Power Tool Co. in in the 50's. My drill still has the original name on it, so it is from before the name change.
>>
File: pic002.jpg (390KB, 1503x2672px) Image search: [Google]
pic002.jpg
390KB, 1503x2672px
>>1218525
The dataplate. From when tools were made in the USA. It still spins like a top. Only has one speed though. It is also not a very fast drill. Only 2500 RPM but it has got substantial gearing and plenty of torque. You can twist the heads off Chinesium screws quite easily. Which is why I buy Spax screws now.
>>
File: pic001.jpg (597KB, 2672x1503px) Image search: [Google]
pic001.jpg
597KB, 2672x1503px
>>1218525
Orginal cord and chuck key included. The cord is in amazing shape for a 60+ year old tool. Generally, the outer layer of insulation will be stiff and cracked after such a long time but this one is still supple.

>>1218400
>>1218437
Unless they used three prong compressor hoses back in the day I'm going to say you are incorrect.

>>1218487
Only if you have a small dick. If it is old enough to not have a ground prong the cable is probably in need of replacement anyway. Using a grounded cable is a simple enough improvement. Like I said, I restore old tools. They started putting ground cables on them in the late 40s. Back then it was often just a length of pigtail that you connected to the faceplate screw. They started grounding the boxes of outlets before the three prong outlet was a thing. By the late 70s double insolated tools became popular and they went back to two prong plugs.
>>
>>1218533
>Only if you have a small dick. If it is old enough to not have a ground prong the cable is probably in need of replacement anyway. Using a grounded cable is a simple enough improvement. Like I said, I restore old tools. They started putting ground cables on them in the late 40s. Back then it was often just a length of pigtail that you connected to the faceplate screw. They started grounding the boxes of outlets before the three prong outlet was a thing. By the late 70s double insolated tools became popular and they went back to two prong plugs.
no shit fuckstick but your facts are as fucked up as your lame troll
>>
>>1218533
Not the original cord,(The ID stamping /layline is the giveaway) but still very neat nonetheless.

The original likely had a rubberized linen or cotton braided sheath with no layline.
>>
>>1218363
>The insurance weazeled out of paying me btw
sue them
>>
>>1218397
>Climate change
>Really

Nice joke stupid libshit

Fuck off and get redpilled before you voice your awful opinion
>>
>>1218612
>Believing 99% of scientists is liberal now

Hope you rednecks can swim
>>
File: 6090096750187.gif (3MB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
6090096750187.gif
3MB, 250x141px
>>1218363
cheer up. we still love you
>>
>>1218615
99%?

You're just making yourself look stupid.
>>
>>1218609
He probably doesn't have flood insurance.
>>
>>1218630
This. In most places, flood insurance is not included with standard homeowners insurance. In places that are known to flood you often times can't get it at all. When I folks retired they moved into a place that was in an area that floods every 15-20 years and they couldn't get flood insurance at all. The entire first floor of their house is an oversized garage, laundry room, and storage because sometimes the floods are 8 feet of water. So, all the living spaces are on the second floor. Forget about having a basement. The water table is like 3 feet down.
>>
>>1218624
If you deny climate change is happening at all it's probably closer to 99.9%
>>
>>1218363
Did you try not being so poor?
>>
the only advice I can give you is dig an accumulaton hole in the ground. My basement floods every time it rains here, so I dug a hole and bought a water pump to evacuate it. works pretty well. Hope it helps and I'm really sorry about your library, must suck.
>>
>>1218612

Shut the fuck up cletus
>>
>>1218363
Be careful with trying to turn a house into a submarine, the pressure from the water (and wet soil) can cave the walls in. Consult an actual civil engineer.
Newly built buildings in flood areas (at least in most of EU) are designed so that you can deliberately flood the basement in a controlled manner, this keeps water and soil from recking the house and at the same time, you won't end up with several inches of mud on everything.
>>
>>1218612
t.reddit
>>
>>1219349
is right. While it is not dangerous to keep surface water out of your cellar, keeping groundwater out of your cellar while the soil around your house becomes saturated with water has the potential to turn your house into a concrete boat and, depending on the volume of your cellar and the overall mass of the house, it may start to float, thus potentially ripping cables, pipes and cracking walls. The same can happen to swimming pools (http://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/bid/31234/can-concrete-gunite-pools-float-crazy-pictures). If there’s a flood and your house has a cellar you only have bad options, but preventing ground water from entering your cellar is the worst of them. The next best would be not to store anything of value in your cellar anymore (I know, that’s asking a lot) and to flood your cellar in time with fresh water.
>>
>>1219420
>While it is not dangerous to keep surface water out of your cellar, keeping groundwater out of your cellar while the soil around your house becomes saturated with water has the potential to turn your house into a concrete boat

I'm helping my dad with his vacation home and I want to do this for him since he has oldtimers disease. How do I let the groundwater in but keep the surface water out? I could cover the yard with plastic film but that would look terrible.
>>
>>1219451
Just as a bit of context: I’m a volunteer with the German Federal Agency for Technical Relief (THW) and by no means an expert on the topic. But from what I gathered during my time and especially last week, keeping surface water out of your cellar would require completely sealing all possible entry ways to it. How to achieve this, however, I’m not sure. With respect to ground water there are basically 2 options: either you’re “lucky” and the cellar wasn’t build with a proper moisture barrier around it so the ground water will find its way on its own; or you’ll have to flood the cellar yourself using tap water. Mind you again: this is only truly necessary if:
1. the soil around your house becomes saturated with water and
2. V_cellar * rho_water >= m_house, where
V_cellar = volume of the cellar
rho_water = density of water (~ 1 kg/(dm^3))
m_house = mass of the house. Just look up Archimedes’ Principle for the phsical background.
I’m also not sure what your insurance company would say if they found out you flooded your cellar yourself, but my guess is they would use it as an excuse to at least reduce your compensation.
>>
>>1218363
>a new freezer would cost about a thousand eurobucks
you can't find one used?
here in the US people give away old appliances all the time, as long as you're willing to haul it away

>>1218769
if they don't already have a sump pump with a battery backup, that is something to consider
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.