[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

plastering methods in your country

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: 297592.jpg (63KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
297592.jpg
63KB, 960x640px
bong here, plastering is a skilled job here requiring a perfect finish by hand, without needing to sand it down afterwards. plasterers here use a tan coloured plaster that is very hardy and doesn't sand down easily. its a pain in the arse to work with though and it needs years of practice in order to be proficient.

i have noticed in other countries they tend to just fix plasterboard to the walls and cover the gaps with white mud and sand it down to get a good finish. but i notice that this dents easily. nobody seems to do this in the UK opting for expensive plasterers instead.

i have polish friends who are happy to cover an entire wall in this white shit and sand the whole thing. what do you prefer and why?
>>
>>1217626
USA here.

In my location we use drywall. Gaps are left between the panels of drywall so that the mud/spackle/plaster can have a better grip in the joints. Joint tape (a mesh-like reinforcing strip) is put on the joint. The plaster is smoothed out into the joint then taped then more plaster to make it as smooth as possible. All fastener heads are also plastered. The plaster and surrounding drywall gets 1 coat of paint then sanded until the joints are smooth. The 1 layer of paint is important so that the sandpaper doesn't rough up a fuzz off the drywall paper. When done, everything is either painted or wallpapered. The plaster is only ever applied to fastener heads and joints. Except ceilings. People fucking love slathering an entire layer of plaster on the ceiling then "stomping" it with some texture. It is fucking horrid and I want to strangle people for it.

Lathe and plaster is a lost art where I live. Lots of old houses have it, but nothing new is made that way. Everything new is pine lumber, fiberglass insulation, blue board Styrofoam, asphalt shingles, and drywall. It costs next to nothing to build a house with this contractor's Lego shit. The really old houses all used local hardwoods, cut stone, lathe and plaster, and slate roofing. Those cost more to build than the McMansions with the 2x4 pine wood skeleton and brick facade.
>>
I've done a lot of DIY and handyman shit OP, but only recently have I ever attempted internal plastering (internal corners and ceiling joints of all things).

That white shit is cheap and goes on easy, it also sands to a smooth finish relatively easy and with little talent. However, that shit is a fucking nightmare to clean up.

On a fine grit, that dust will creep under doors, up hallways, into any crevice or gap left exposed. It also tends to shrink a lot, so the general advice is to "mound" any application.

So, while the white shit is easy to put on and sand back, it's a bitch to clean. I guess the brown stuff may be harder to put on but require minimal finishing and therefore less clean up.

Kind of one of those things where you hold out both hands as though they contained roughly similar weights and imagined judging them.
>>
>>1217626
>what do you prefer and why?

Contractors prefer sheetrock (plasterboard?) because any mexican can learn how to install it whereas proper plastering requires skill and training, and I would guess that the lath or whatever the plaster bonds to is more expensive and slower than sheetrock.

I worked with a guy like you described. He learned proper plastering in NYC and was painting with us. Once he skimmed an entire ceiling and told me that it would be ready to paint without any sanding. I laughed and said ok. When he was done I went up on a ladder to inspect it, and it was smooth as could be.

He was amazing. No ordinary sheetrock guy could do that.

When he was done, we got some ceiling white with a shot of black and painted it and it was perfection.
>>
>>1217632
>ceiling white with a shot of black
I haven't been here for a few weeks, but is this a /diy/ meme now?
>>
>>1217634

It's not a meme; it's a fact. If you add a shot of black to something it will tell everyone that you are a pro.

Try it.
>>
There aren't a lot of plasterers left around here. The youngest ones I know of are in their late 50s. It's neat to watch them do it, but I have no interest in doing it myself.

>>1217634
Yes. Some guy in a paint thread said that's how the pros do it to get better coverage or something and it took off from there.
>>
>>1217634
It's a meme because some autistic butthurt butthead is forcing it.

If you add a small amount of black paint to standard white paint, it helps cover better.
It's similar to when you mix 1:1 ratio of primer to paint for the first coat to help adhesion and coverage.
>>
File: tay_good_hair.jpg (27KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
tay_good_hair.jpg
27KB, 680x453px
>>1217667
>It's a meme because some autistic butthurt butthead is forcing it.

Well, to be honest you are the only one who seems butthert about it. Maybe you should put a shot of black in your drink so we will know you are a pro.

On a lighter note, I wish she would always do her hair like this. Some of her hairstyles are awful.
>>
>Not adding a drop of black color to you spackle.

Stay plebs.
>>
>>1217667
Spotted the amateur.
>>
>>1217626
at least here (USA) We put up drywall, then use drywall compound of different speeds of drying. (5min is hot mud, 20-90 is just mud) usually gypsum, and then cover nail indents and gaps with all purpose hot mud, you cant sand that easily so leave a lot off. We then go over with tape and coat everything in wet mud, sand, wet mud, sand, sand even more, texture, primer, paint.
>>
>>1217632
You should see what mexicans can do. Ive seen them plaster entire buildings with tan coloured plaster.
>>
File: tijolobaiano.jpg (24KB, 350x333px) Image search: [Google]
tijolobaiano.jpg
24KB, 350x333px
A wall is made with these bricks and covered with cement mortar then when it dries, a thick layer of plaster is applied interior sides of the wall

or alternatively dry walls are attached to thin metal frames, seams are taped and a thin layer of plaster applied
>>
>>1217626
Most new builds in the UK are taped and jointed now. It's quicker, cheaper and easier but less hard, wearing. moisture resistant, sound-proof, long lasting. Your best bet is to find a good plasterer (good luck). Don't let Polish people do anything, they just arrive and decide they can do a trade that no certification is needed for. Also don't let the plasterers talk you in to letting them seal the plaster, get a painter
>>
>>1217626
Boston construction fag here and we use and have used a few different methods. New construction and commercial stuff is almost always just board and joints. On some higher end residential, they'll do that and then what we call a skim coat over it. Which is about an 1/8" thick coat of plaster, usually a mix of gypsum and plaster depending on the plasterer. Most of the plasterer trade here is dominated by Irish.
On older houses (200-100 years old) you still find horse hair plaster over wood lathe. Later homes usually around 1920s to the 1950s. You'll get what is called three coat/ base coat. Pretty similar to how it's done in England. First coat is a cement like mud over wire lathe about an inch thick. This is the base coat or scratch coat because after it is applied, leveled, and smoothed, they would scratch a regular pattern of 1/8" gouges across it while still wet to allow better adhesion of the second coat. Not sure of the exact composition of the second coat but I think it something a little softer like gypsum plaster to give some flex to prevent cracks from regular movement, about 3/16" thick. Then finally on top of that is the veneer coat about 1/16" coat of harder super smooth plaster. This gives a super strong wall but can say it is the biggest pain in the ass when doing demo, heavy as fuck and tons of razor sharp points from the metal lathe. In later houses from the 1960s about there is a transition period where wallboard became more common but plasters still put the cement like base coat over it.
From my understanding and watching videos of British plasterers the tan coat is easier and more forgiving to smooth and spread than plaster. heavier yes and not sandable but longer working time and not as delicate. I have never seen a real plasterer sand something they've done, they will just keep dampening it with big brushes, felt pads, or water spray and just keep smoothing and polishing it with their knives and trowels.
>>
>>1217667
spotted the pro
>>
>>1217667
If you add a small amount of white paint to standard black paint, it helps cover better.
People should know better, for example if you want to paint yellow you should add a little purple. Because adding the contrasts helps in solving your color problems
>>
>>1217971
You're a very stupid person.
>>
>>1218010
you break my fillings
>>
>>1218016
Get a better dentist.
>>
>>1217631
>Kind of one of those things where you hold out both hands as though they contained roughly similar weights and imagined judging them.

This elicited a chuckle
>>
just hire some dude
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYW8hteFj-A
>>
Proper plastering is great. The sort you put on concrete/brick walls. Drywall construction needs to die already.
>>
File: trump_embarrasing_pimp_decor.jpg (449KB, 1597x1600px) Image search: [Google]
trump_embarrasing_pimp_decor.jpg
449KB, 1597x1600px
>>1218244
>Proper plastering is great. The sort you put on concrete/brick walls. Drywall construction needs to die already.

If you are wealthy you can get just about anything you like. The rest of us live in the real world and drywall is perfectly adequate and is 99% indistinguishable from plaster except that it does not crack like plaster does and it's way easier to mount things on the wall, with anchors, those toggle/butterfly things, or into the studs.
>>
>>1218245

Here interior walls are generally made of gypsum blocks, they go up easier than drywall (stack and glue them, faster than framing) and you can put 100s of kilos of load anywhere without needing to find a stud.
>>
>>1218245
cool looking house
>>
>>1218317

Personally, I can't stand that style of decoration. Way too gaudy.
>>
>>1218344

That house and the fact that he proudly posed for a photo are perfect examples of why people say that Trump is a poor person's idea of a rich person. He's like the worst white-trash nouveau riche you can dream up.
>>
>>1218355
>>1218344
It's from the 80's, kids.
Shit from the now is going to look just as bad in 30 years.
>>
>>1217971
Kind of like a pro barista will add just a tiny splash of cream to black coffee.
Not enough to make it creamy but just enough so the black coffee "pops"
>>
>>1217829
>Don't let Polish people do anything, they just arrive and decide they can do a trade that no certification is needed for.
Nothing to do with poles but we bought our house a few months ago but I don't know what the fuck the owner/tenants were thinking when it came to the kitchen.

>Once upon a time there was bare brickwork
>It was plastered and then painted RED, ok not the worst thing in the world
>Then it appears it was wallpapered, feasible I suppose
>Then it appears it was plastered over again
>With the wallpaper underneath
>And they didn't do the entirety of the walls (behind oven and cabinets is missing)
>They didn't remove electrical sockets, just plastered AROUND them
>The quality is absolute dog shit and lumpy in places

The whole thing needs demoing and redoing, but we wont have the money for a long time and it's pissing me off because I want to tile some splashbacks without having to destroy it later on.
>>
>>1218789

With wallpaper in between can't you just knock off the top layer plaster with a putty knife and then sand it down to get something workable again? Sandpaper and latex wall paint aren't expensive.
>>
>>1218806
Perhaps, but it's more that if we're going rip everything out and knock off a layer of plaster we may as well refit the kitchen with newer stuff at the same time since its such ass
>cabinets are a bit manky
>kickboards are crap
>countertops are blown/liquid damaged chipboard not even secured in place
>poly coving which I ripped off straight away was barely hanging in place with adhesive/tape/stuffed with newspaper

Hence £££, did find a bonus bag of weed living on top of one of the cabinets tho
>>
Bong here friends a plaster and I help him out from time to time not bad at doing walls now myself, nothing beats seeing a room full of bricks or plasterboard turned into a perfectly smooth finish.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.