[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a Dremel 200 Carve into Aluminum stock?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Dremel 200.jpg (183KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Dremel 200.jpg
183KB, 1600x1066px
Can a Dremel 200 Carve into Aluminum stock?
>>
File: Stock.png (122KB, 1126x525px) Image search: [Google]
Stock.png
122KB, 1126x525px
>>1217390
Need to make a small name stamp for concrete
>>
>>1217390
>>1217392
Use the steel carving bit.
>>
>>1217396
I don't suppose there's a relatively cheap set of bits on amazon for this kind of thing
>>
File: Dremel 52.png (276KB, 896x371px) Image search: [Google]
Dremel 52.png
276KB, 896x371px
>>1217399
Though I assume I won't find much better than this for a general purpose kit, though I wonder if what came in the box will be enough
>>
File: dremel.jpg (9KB, 189x266px) Image search: [Google]
dremel.jpg
9KB, 189x266px
>>1217399
these type of things should work. I've used them to cut plenty of copper and brass but not in exactly the way you're doing. I would probably drill starter holes to the depth you want the letters and use the router collar.
>>
>>1217409
Thanks, at least there's plenty of stock to practice on
>>
>>1217390
Yep, but you're going to hate carving into aluminium, it clogs up bits, abrasives and generally makes everything fuck my life difficult
>>
>>1217390
Save up a bit and get a 3000. The extra speed control makes it better for aluminum work.
>>
>>1217390
I bought one of those shit-ified Dremel kits that Amazon sells as a "limited quantity" discount back in early December. I used it to cut through heavily corroded aluminum fittings for some hardware that had been in a damp agriculture environment for a few decades. It go the job done, eventually but there was a lot of trial and error to make it work the way I wanted.

If you have enough patience and some eye protection you can do pretty much anything with a Dremel. However, there are OVER 9000 kinds of bits/tips and all are basically disposable. They operate on the disposable razor business model so the hand tool isn't really this issue. So pick the right tip and safe yourself a lot of trouble.

>>1217409
This guy might be helpful. Or a troll.
>>
>>1217390

I've tried doing similar things with 2 dremels. Both couldn't handle it and melted on me. Unless it's precision work don't bother and get a proper die grinder.
>>
>>1217429
>>1217433
Already have the dremel and am trying to do it cheaply
>>
>>1217440
Awww, ok. That being the case you'll need a good bit. For me, the best bit you can use for cutting/carving aluminium is a 9901 tungsten-carbide cutting bit. Should run you less than $10 at Lowes or Home Despot.

For the engraving/detail work, get the 689-01 engraving kit. Has 10 bits/grinders and works well for aluminum engraving.

The key I've found is using low speed and a good cutting oil to keep everything cool.
>>
>>1217409
>drill starter holes
>aluminum

You need straight fluted bits for that, fyi. Spiral fluted bits will break.
>>
>>1217954
I've never had a spiral bit break on me ever drilling aluminum. Just get a quality set like Vermont American or any us or euro bit. Stay away from cheap Chinese bits because they truly are terrible.
>>
>>1217390
it's not going to look good
>>
>>1217390
buy a chinesium grade electric die grinder, will carve through almost anything
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.