[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wood and woodworking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: file.png (400KB, 434x600px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
400KB, 434x600px
Hey, didn't see a thjread for it, so general woodworking shit, i guess?

i need a new desk soon, and i was thinking of using wood like this, because it looks fucking sweet, but i'm worried the bark by the edge would come loose and flake off, which would be a pain in the dick and ruin the look. is there any good way to prevent this, or is my idea doomed?
>>
>>1217297
From what I understand the bark will peel as the wood shrinks but the bark doesnt. I've read that you can cut the bark off, then glue it back so it adheres better.
>>
>>1217298
hm, that could be a problem too, but i'm also concerned of it flaking off just from normal wear and tear. one thought was to basically fucking encase it in some kind of lacquer or something (unsure if it's the right term, not a native speaker) to the point where it becomes completely smooth, but that would kind of ruin the point.
>>
>>1217302
Some sort of non yellowing clear spray on epoxy should do the trick. Thin enough to keep the actual shape of the bark while sealing it.
>>
>>1217306
could work, yeah. thanks buddy, i'll give it some more thought before i do anything though.
>>
I made a small nightstand using wood like this and epoxy. Same shit as the secret ring just make a box and pour epoxy. After that i routed the edges. Bark by itself is too fragile and will make a huge mess unless you treat it. Maybe poly?
>>
File: IMG_0387.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0387.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I recently went to an estate sale and raided an old dude's woodworking shop. I got a jointer which is pretty badass. I'm going to make a bedroom set out of some of this red oak now.
>>
You would need to completely seal the whole thing if you want to preserve the bark. If you hit it hard enough it will still chip though.
>>
you could scrape the bark off but keep the edge with the same natural curve as the original wood. That's what I'm doing anyways. I think it looks kind of ok. plus there's no risk of it actually making a mess and chipping.
>>
Question.
If I want to get some wood to make something, what should I do?
I mean
1.-Go innawoods.
2.-Chop a branch
3.-???
now what. do I dry it? what should I do to make that wood useful?
if I let it outdoors, humidity will rot it.
>>
>>1217683
You cut the wood into planks, and then you put it on some straight ground with spacers in between each plank and between the ground. You can also cover them up if you live in a rainy place. It takes a long time for wood to dry up though. Couple of months, if I recall correctly.
>>
>>1217700
>It takes a long time for wood to dry up though.
Depending on where you live and the type of wood it can take up to 2 years for the wood to be fully seasoned.
>>
>>1217708
Exactly. So op, just go buy some wood. If you don't have dried logs.
>>
>>1217297
Carving counts as woodworking, right? Anyone ever used a dremel or some other brands rotary tool for carving? I just ordered some carbide burrs to try it out.
>>
>>1217773
Yes it is. I've seen that done, it's like easy mode
>>
What's the best way to paint pine so the grain doesn't show?
>>
>>1217860

Sand it smooth. Prime it. Paint it. If you are using white paint you know what to do, that is, you know what to do if you are a PRO.
>>
>>1217862

you forgot the shot of black, son
>>
>>1217862
>you know what to do if you are a PRO.

Ok, I'm not a pro. Care to share your secrets with a layman?
>>
>>1217869
>Care to share your secrets with a layman?

Put on some shabby clothes that have some paint on them. Not mechanic black grease clothes; they can be dirty, but they have to have quite a bit of paint on them. Not big smears like you went swimming in some paint, just little dabs here and there on your shirt and shorts (all real painters wear shorts) where you fixed a little boo-boo with your finger and wiped it on your clothes. That's one of the keys to painting fast - fixing boo-boos quickly.

Tell the guy at the desk that you need some white paint, and then as if it is an afterthought, nonchalantly add "by the way, would you put a shot of black in it?"

His eyebrows will go up by a tiny but noticeable amount, and from then on he will address you as "sir", and will ask "do you have an account with us?", and will hint that you can get pretty nice discounts if you decide to open an account, because he will have realized that you are a fucking pro.
>>
>>1217865
he said you'd know what to do if you're a pro
>>
>>1217297

On a scale of 1-10, how difficult do you think it would be for a total woodworking noob to build a usable desk?

My current desk is a shit composite/particleboard from Amazon and can't accommodate my 3 monitor stand.

My GF is an architect and will design my schematics. I plan to use oak for the entire desk, sourced from Lowes or HD. I know it's expensive, but it's solid and usually already jointed/planed.

Am I going about this okay? I have all the tools I need.
>>
>>1217297
>21 replies

OP, use resin stabilization via a vacuum and bake. Just make a container that can handle some low inHg and hold the entire work piece. Do several vacuum cycles with resin then bake wrapped in foil over hot coals to set it (flip and rotate often!)
>>
>>1219494

You will get better answers if you start your own thread. It's against rules to hijack some other anon's thread. Just apologize here and start your own.

This thread has been self-jacked by the shot of black brigade, anyway.
>>
File: MKJKIT-MiniKregJigKit-MainCOB-2.jpg (32KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
MKJKIT-MiniKregJigKit-MainCOB-2.jpg
32KB, 800x800px
>>1219494
Assuming you already have a miter or a circular saw,

It would be about a 1 in difficulty to build a rock solid desk if you do yourself a favor and get a Kreg jig. I say this as a person practiced enough to cut dovetails by hand.
>>
>>1219766
With a silky folding saw?

I'll quit my job and follow you around if that is the case.
>>
>>1217648
>it looks kind of ok

That's quite the endorsement!
>>
>>1219766
Hell, if you are going to take the easy way out just use particle board and put everything together with brads.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.