[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a better humidity sensor.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: mushfarm.jpg (142KB, 703x527px) Image search: [Google]
mushfarm.jpg
142KB, 703x527px
I have a small scale mushroom farm where the humidifier is on a relay controlled by a raspberryPi.

Ive been using cheap Chinese DHT22 sensors but they crap out or become uncalibrated within days. Currently running relay on a timer instead. I want to be able to log the temp/humidity though because I like graphs n shiet.

AVE made a cool video about sensors but I just dont know the name of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6di24oIdISs

I couldnt find any sensors on the McMaster website. Im fairly new to this field so I just dont want to make more nooby mistakes.

also unrelated but I feel like raspberryPi is the fisher-price of the mechatronics world. whats the good stuff to use? arduino?
>>
File: oBwBq.jpg (3MB, 2304x2304px) Image search: [Google]
oBwBq.jpg
3MB, 2304x2304px
>>1217102
>whats the good stuff to use?
BeagleBone is a step up and doesn't require nonfree software to boot.
I'm super excited for the forthcoming EOMA68s so check them out as well.
Arduino's prolly cool, more diverse, specifically geared, and popular, so the thing you want may already exist - I've never used any though.

Can you please talk about your mushroom farm and process too though?
I'm just getting into this myself and would really love to hear about what other anons are doing.
>>
>>1217129
Im using sterilized blocks of hardwood sawdust supplemented with wheat bran currently. Im thinking about switching back to pasteurized straw due to simplicity.

In the picture most of my blocks have a casing layer and I plan on fruiting out of the top although I think its just better to leave the plastic on and cut a hole for the mushrooms to fruit out of.

I noticed in your picture you dont have any plastic around your straw did you cut it away? Its better to leave it on and let the mushrooms fruit out of holes. It prevents excess moisture loss and produces larger fruits than many small mushrooms.

do you have more specific questions about the farm?
>>
I suggest work with arduino, is easier of use and program, the most of sensors were made for arduino and has a support bigger than raspberry also very much proyects are on web with arduino and its humidity sensors, can give to you graphs if arduino works with matlab, labview or similars.
Raspberry is good, but is too much for your proyect.

Have you taken a look at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soil-Humidity-Hygrometer-Moisture-Detection-Sensor-Module-Arduino-w-Dupont-Wires-/400985207745?epid=530629500&hash=item5d5c94b3c1:g:~ogAAOxy4YdTUlFG
>>
>>1217180
I initialy chose the raspberryPi because I am more comfortable with Python than c/c++ but I think I will switch over in the future.

Thanks for the link but Im measuring the air coming out of some ducting and not the substrate itself. Im looking for something that can stay calibrated and handle an enviornment that is around 90-99% humidity most of the day. I need something a bit beefier and reliable than hobby grade stuff.
>>
>>1217102

HDC1080 looks nice and cheap, just get out your magnifying glass and solder some wires to the pads.
>>
I have build an humidity system for an oyster mushroom farm last year, in my free time as a fun project. (just had to work, that's it)
I'm now building v2.0 and I will also an rasp pi to monitor the humidity and temp and then directly upload the data to a website/server so the owner can monitor her farm from anywhere.
it's pretty hard to upload data to a website with an arduino.

I will also be using an arduino to control the humidifier units. The total system will output about 16 liter per hour and will humidify a room of about 350 m3.

I see in the picture right below you are using a normal industrial humidifier, I have heard from other farms that those might create droplets that are too large.

I'm using ultrasonic humidifier plates to create smaller droplets and then blow them into the room with a fan. This is costly but from what I've heard more effective.
If you decide to use this make sure you also purify the water with an reverse osmosis unit because otherwise the minerals in the water will break down the ultrasonic plates. (one of the mistakes in my first version).
>>
>>1217220
Ive tried ultrasonics and they arent viable on a large scale in my opinion. youll want to go with wither centrifugal or high pressure misting systems. Im using a Hydrofogger. It works great as lonmg as you have a fan to blow the mist around the air.
>>
>>1217102
>raspberryPi is the fisher-price of the mechatronics world. whats the good stuff to use? arduino?
Arduino is diaper-load-tier and doesn't even into IP networking. You will need to tether it to a PC if you want to get anything out of it onto the network. rasPi does have native networking and has a lot more room to grow, no pun intended. If you don't need your hand held, there is literally nothing to gain from switching.
Just change the sensor to something more durable. How about a wet-bulb hygrometer arrangement? That can be easily /diy/ed and the rasPi has more than enough power to process the readings. You might need to into electronics a bit and add some extra I/O, but you'll be much better served than by diving into that hipster shit and /ohm/ can help you out with the details.
>>
>>1217102
>using cakes instead of bulk substrate
>2017
>>
File: 20160728.jpg (213KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160728.jpg
213KB, 1080x1920px
>>1217228
>Hydrofogger
Ye we tried one of those, but compared to ultrasonics the 'mist' just wasn't enough for the owner.
if she would let it run 24/7 the room would get really wet and not humid enough.

in pic related you can see my first version of the ultrasonic humidifier. I'm using a 12 disc plate of 'house of hydro'. In the pic I only installed one fan, later I placed another one (don't have pic) to increase output considerably.
The room is about 100m3 and the room would be filled with fog after about 30 - 45 minutes (no air from outside). The unit outputs about 8liter / hour (theoretically)

for the next version im using 2x 12 disc plates.
>>
>>1217232
>implying PF-tek kek
>>1217230
Yeah I guess youre right. I havent learned about adding anysort of GPIO to a desktop in school yet. probably wont.
getting data from a wet bulb would be tough. I imagine I would need to use a webcam and image processing to look at the differences.
>>
>>1217248
That looks nice. Im using a semi sealed room and run the fogger for about 2 minutes 4 times an hour. It works nice for my needs. How much water are you using a day in that unit?
>>
File: 1474463021005.jpg (67KB, 242x560px) Image search: [Google]
1474463021005.jpg
67KB, 242x560px
>>1217249
>adding anysort of GPIO to a desktop in school yet. probably wont.
Yeah, that's not typically done.
>getting data from a wet bulb would be tough
Not at all. My 50-year-old 50-in-1 rat shack project kit had a wet bulb hygrometer (uncalibrated but functional) as one of its projects. Just substitute thermocouple probes for the spirit thermometers in Pic related and implement the lookup table in software.
>>
>>1217254
most of the time the owner runs it 10 min on to 15 min off. so about 2/5 * 8 * 24 = about 77 liters. I don't measure the water-intake tho. So i can't say for sure.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.