[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intro to welding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1154.png (463KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1154.png
463KB, 750x1334px
Thinking about buying this welder (pic related) Amico Power DC-160A 160 Amp Dual Voltage IGBT Inverter DC Welding Machine1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKR3MM0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_kFtEzbZV1E2XP

The reviews are really good and it runs off of regular and 220 outlets. Do you guys think this will be able to successfully weld 1/4" and 1/8" mild steel? I want to weld a tow hitch onto my jeep for starters. I'm just not sure what amp settings and stick type/thickness equates to what metal thickness.
>>
Also any general welding tips for a first timer who wants to get into stick welding
>>
Instead of wasting $150, why don't you spend a few hundred extra dollars of something thjat isn't a piece of shit.
>>
>>1216764
do some online research, watch some youtube videos, and buy a good face mask and welding apron.
>>
>>1216766
Causes it's got great reviews, it's extremely portable, and I'm not sure if welding is something I want to get into.
>>
>>1216725
thats a good machine to learn with hopefully you can get a 220v circuit youll need about 125 amps to weld 1/8 7018 rods
with stick you can literally weld anything in multiple passes just make sure you have proper weld prep
practice on some scrap first
>>
>>1216779
How many amps will it go up to on a standard (114v is it?) outlet. I have a washer dryer hookup that should work. What's the difference between the rods for different thicknesses of it's all mild steel?
>>
>>1216780
no idea depends on the circuit if its 110 make sure its a 20 amp
bigger rods need more amperage to burn properly on a 110 circuit your going to need 3/32 and if you have to run an extension cord make sure its heavy duty
7018 is low hydrogen as long as they arent contaminated is going to give you a nice weld with a good profile and decent penetration with the right technique
7014 is farmer rod and is easier to weld with but has a tendency to not penetrate as deeply
6013 is easy to weld as well but has less tensile strength and has a tendency to leave porosity right in the middle of longitudinal of a weld
6010 penetrates deeply but doesnt deposit as much weld metal and doesnt look as nice but will burn through just about anything
>>
>>1216786
So what would be good for 1/4" mild steel to attach a hitch to a Jeep that needs to tow? 6010 and whatever amperage?
>>
>>1216790
7018 3/32 bevel the eges being welded between 3 and 5 passes hopefully 95 amps if its flat
>>
>>1216794
Of it's only 95 amps why would I do multiple passes. Coupling I up the amperage and do just one? Also how can I tell when it's done enough and I don't need anymore passes? I'm assuming passing is just doing the weld over and over each time after you wipe the slag off. Thank you for your help btw
>>
File: fillet.jpg (13KB, 819x460px) Image search: [Google]
fillet.jpg
13KB, 819x460px
>>1216798
a 3/32 rod isnt going to deposit much metal your going to need to build up a weld for anything bigger then like 1/8
>>
>>1216766
Not him, but how much should I expect to pay for a decent mig welder, cart, and tank? Is it okay to buy them used?
>>
>>1216803
I see thanks. So using a bigger stick will help, but it has to be a stick that the welder can burn
>>
>>1216804
Yes, you should buy used pro stuff.
If possible buy three-phase stuff (if you live in a place with sane electrical systems). Average Joe usually doesn't into three-phase so it is more certain to be good shit. Kemppi, ESAB and the like are good over here. Every area has their own brands.

I have paid 0-400€ for welders, but won't spend more. I have 4 welding machines for some peculiar reasons. Not very portable ones, but good machines. One of my mig/mags output 350A, the other is 250A but it's broken at the moment. I'll make an spot welder out of it (eventually) as it has a timer. I also have tho stick welding machines in the 200-350A range, can't recall exactly. For the migmags (mag in my case as I weld with very cheap CO2) I have paid but the stickwelders were free. One is a Wallis and I think the other one is kemppi? Migmags are ESAB and a old 70's machine which I don't recall which.

All in all, I always have recommended to buy used good industrial grade stuff instead of these tinkering toys that have a duty cycle of 10% at any decent current. With a industrial machine you weld easily 150-200A with a duty cycle of 100%.

Abd if you don't want to have a huge free stick welder a three phase modern inverter stick welder isn't that expensive, triple your budget and you'll get a completely different machine! For 400-500€ you'll get a proper (new!) welding machine if you aren't looking for those extreme currents. I have an occasional need for very high currents so I'll stick to my big welding machines...
>>
>>1216956

this guy knows his shit. even if you have to pay the utility 10k to run 3 phase to your garage it will be worth in in the long run, since you cannot really weld with normal household power, even 220v with 200 amperage is not going to weld.
>>
>>1216959
>since you cannot really weld with normal household power, even 220v with 200 amperage is not going to weld

LOL WAT
>>
>>1216966
>LOL WAT

you need 3 phase to weld 350 amps 100% duty cycle like that guy said. otherwise your just doing kid stuff.
>>
>even 220v with 200 amperage is not going to weld.
LMAO this is wrong but carry on.
>>
>>1216973
I just want to do minor stuff. Weld a tow Hitch, weld some control arms for my jeep, maybe a fence or something.
>>
>>1216973
Wtf are you welding that you need 300 amos
>>
>>1216764
Find scrap metal to practice welding beads on. Also make a small metal box that doesn't leak water. Those are things I had to do learning. When you are getting comfortable with it you can start practicing welding vertically from bottom to top while also leaving a good clean bead. Lastly, have a chipping hammer.
>>
>>1217113

Not him (or even a good welder) but, off the top of my head, aluminum sucks amps like no other. 1/2" aluminum takes crazy power like that. Not that I expect that average joe to ever have reason to do so.

He's on crack (or just exaggerating for effect, not sure which) to think a welder that actually pulled 200A _from the wall_ wouldn't weld retardedly thick material. Not that anyone makes such a machine, but even a 3-phase equivalent would be unusually powerful.

>>1216725

I have the Amico 150A MIG/stick machine. Not that I've used it all that much, but it does a decent job.

That being said...I really don't know about that company. Their product line is really fucking weird, almost like some random outlet for a few specific products that aren't at all related. I also got one of their plasma cutters, then found out that there basically aren't any sources for consumables, and I have no idea where they're getting the ones they put in the box. I asked about this, they told me to look around (the fuck?), I told them I had, and they shipped me a pack for free.

Which is nice, but what the fuck am I supposed to do in the future? Found out nobody else was able to find a source for the consumables, either.

Just be warned, if you need spare parts in the future, you might not be able to get them. Not that I expect that to be a problem for a stick machine with standard connections, but still.
>>
>>1217183
Yea I thought that was weird too, but figure it was a stick with standard connections it would be pretty safe. I like the idea of building a leak proof box first.

My main question is How can you tell if a weld is good? Especially if it needs multiple passes
>>
>>1217186
>My main question is How can you tell if a weld is good? Especially if it needs multiple passes

You have to feel it in your heart, in your bones. In your very soul.

Or at least that's the best your gonna get, 'cause you're sure as fuck not going to have access to the equipment needed to non-destructively test a weld.

But yeah, nah, you learn as you gain experience what a "good" weld looks and feels like as you put it down. It will also tend to look good, once you scrape off all the slag. Once you get the basics of manipulating the electrode such that you can produce an acceptable-looking weld, do some break and cut-and-etch tests to see how they hold up mechanically.

YouTube also has plenty of videos on welding from pros. That's a good way to at least get an idea of what exactly you're trying to do, once you put the electrode in the holder.
>>
>>1217187
>You have to feel it in your heart, in your bones. In your very soul.

Please tell me you are a barrista who pretends to weld on her spare time.
>>
>>1217186
>My main question is How can you tell if a weld is good? Especially if it needs multiple passes

you can cut cross sections, sand & polish, then etch (naval jelly/various acids from any store) to see how it went for various settings
>>
>>1217203
>Please tell me you are a barrista who pretends to weld on her spare time.

I don't like coffee. And I wouldn't make a pretty girl.
>>
>>1216771
>not sure if welding is something I want to get into

First step.
Take a class in welding at the local VoTech/Trade School.
Seriously.
Besides learning how to SMAW, you will also learn what you need in a welding unit.
>>
>>1217187
>It will also tend to look good
not necessarily. a shitty looking weld can still be strong as fuck and a really nice looking weld can be weak as fuck
>>
>>1218145
What's the deal with grinding down welds that are shitty, or in general. how much can you take off while keeping structural integrity
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.