[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cement Burns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: cement.jpg (64KB, 620x410px) Image search: [Google]
cement.jpg
64KB, 620x410px
Does anyone have any experience with cement burns?

I'm an idiot and didn't take the sds on some thin set mortar seriously enough and had wet mortart on my skin for probably about 15 minutes and dust sitting on exposed sweating skin for probably 30-45.

There was throbbing pain where direct contact happened the next day and day after that has since subsided. I'm still experiencing itching on skin that was exposed to the dust but there no sign of cracking, bleeding, or blistering anywhere yet after almost 72 hours. I know I can't do anything at this point to help, but can anyone give me an idea of the time frame of the onset of symptoms and if that's any indication of severity? When will I know if I gave myself a rash/minor burn vs a deceptively major burn under the skin?
>>
I really doubt it's severe. I got cement burns on my knees once when I crouched in wet cement and didn't even take my pants off till the workday was over in like 4-5 hours. all the hair around my knees fell off and I had little sores where they used to be but iircc my skin was back to normal in like two weeks with no treatment
>>
>>1216422
You already know the answers to your questions. For wet concrete exposure it'll cause throbbing pain for a day or so; for dust, itching. You gave yourself a rash/minor burn. If it happens again wash it off right away or it could be worse. Everyone is different, some can swim in the stuff, others have trouble if they look at it too close.
>>
Really appreciate the responses. Definitely an amateur at this and of course the horror stories out there don't give meaningful details, just "I touched cement and my kneecaps exploded."
>>
>>1216450
yeah some people get really dramatic about cement burns and act like your skin is going to fall off if you touch wet cement so I don't blame you for being cautious. but in reality worst case scenario is really dry skin and maybe some sores
>>
>>1216422
>I know I can't do anything at this point to help
e45 cream, or basically any moisturiser. i broke a pointing trowel (don't ask) and ended up mashing in half a bucket by hand. hands were constantly itchy, cracked, flaky, dry etc for about 24 hours before i got some e45 cream went away immediately.

force moisture back in, water is too pussy

you would know at least by now if you were fucked, you would have known pretty much as soon as you washed your hands there would have been a big hole.
>>
15 minutes with some thin set really isnt that bad, I almost always have little globs of mortar on me every time I set cement board or tile and it isnt too bad. Pouring a slab or foundation and having that shit get into your boots and sit there for a couple hours worth of pouring concrete will get you some nice burns. If you get to it quick enough just rinse it off with some vinegar and use a good moisturizing lotion for the next couple days, or if its bad enough just treat the blisters.
>>
to my knowledge cement burns are caused by the basic calcium hydroxide which (although weaker than sodium hydroxide (drain cleaner)) attacks your skin, turning the cell membrane essentially into soap. it shouldn't get worse after removed. your skin is however weakened until it regenerates.
>>
>>1216737
this

it's a chemical reaction bases and acids
best remedy is household vinegar or lemon juice, apply it to the effected area for 5 mins it will reverse the affects.
>>
>>1216768
It might give better results than water if you apply it immediately, but I doubt it does any good if you use it after the symptoms appear.
>>
Vasoline always helped me out
>>
Moisturizer works.

If you do this every day, start using Eczema soap such as Oilatum.
>>
What will happen if i snort the stuff like cocaine
>>
>>1216422
Concrete finisher here, concrete is caustic so it burns like ammonia; squeeze you're hands, if you feel any tingling you need to scour and wash. I use that mechanic soap the shit that comes in the orange bottle. Or if I'm too far from the truck masonry sand as grit and water.
>>
>>1216447
>look at it too close
HELP MY EYES ARE CEMENTED TO THE SIDEWALK
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.