[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

will my roof collapse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: WP_20170726_002.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170726_002.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
I'm trying to remove a few of the angled roof supports on both sides with the goal of having an 8 ft. wide floor space to lay down plywood. It's balloon style framing not truss so roof joists are 2x6 and secured at peak and outside wall header. Was thinking I'd support it with similar bracing, just lower down towards outer wall with runners and vertical kick boards attach to ceiling joists. Like 4 ft on each side of peak if you're following my description. no snow load or anything.
>>
>>1216351
Call contractor, not /diy/
>>
>>1216353
Nah. I got dis.
>>
>>1216356
If you have to ask a Mongolian horse breeding prayer group whether something is load bearing, that's a good sign you should call a contractor.
>>
>>1216364
I didn't ask -if- my roof was load bearing numb nuts. I described my planned reinforcement before I removed the existing reinforcement - and if that would be good enough. Structurally speaking I don't think it'd fall if I removed every single one of those braces. For it to fall with my planned bracing in place itd have to crush a lot of wood.

My OP was pretty short and clearly worded and you didn't even read it, is this the attention span of Gen Z? I guess I should've known better than to think anyone on this board has a better answer than what I already know will work. RIP \diy\ Mod will you kindly delete my op and give me a courtesy ban?
>>
>>1216369
>Structurally speaking I don't think it'd fall if I removed every single one of those braces.
Doesn't look like it to me either. Joists look like they are rated for fucking snow.
>>
>>1216371

that isn't snow. It's liquid nails they used to bond the framing together; it's a pre-built truss they just pick up with a crane and snap it into place, since nobody knows how to build anything anymore.
>>
why are you doing all this work to something thats perfectly fine the way it is?
making a grow room or something?
it wont be a pleasant living space.
>>
>>1216373
>it wont be a pleasant living space.

Maybe his wife is going to have kids and OP wants to have a nice room for them.
>>
>>1216372
>liquid nails
Just tear them down and do what you want it will probably be twenty times better
>>
>>1216371
I agree. The roof joists are solidly secured at peak and wall headers. Just being overly cautious.
>>
>>1216351
Make a drawing of what it would look like.
>>
File: ar12885557390794.jpg (59KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
ar12885557390794.jpg
59KB, 500x324px
>>1216377

those are rafters pal. Hire a contractor. Or at least livestream it.
>>
>>1216372
Those trusses have square spike boards they frame with, that's insulation.
>>1216373
Attic storage obviously, its wasted space wasted and unused when I could put storage boxes there. Also, you sound like a degenerate pothead.
>>
>>1216351
I would shore it before modifying it as it's ballon/bubble style construction.

To be clear the members are being supported by nails and are not blocked up. A few spikes will hold alot but I wouldn't take chances.
>>
>>1216380
The collar tie in that pic resists the downward flattening force, just like a vertical kick brace would as described in op.
>>
I would be careful op, over time your roof will begin to bow without those supports, and will ruin the value of your home unless you hire someone to re-roof your place.

Chances are it will be fine, but after a few years it may begin to show.

I would suggest replacing the purlins with a knee wall, it's pretty simple.
>>
>>1216387
*replace the purlin bracing, I know some autist will correct me on that
>>
>>1216383

>Attic storage obviously, its wasted space wasted and unused when I could put storage boxes there.

>wasted space wasted

>degenerate pothead

just put some tubs full of shit up there and stop doing unnecessary work.
>>
>>1216393
I don't want to break a leg or fall through ceiling thus a plywood floor (not the entire attic). Those perlin braces block everything.
>>
>>1216394
have you considered the possibility that maybe you have too much stuff?
perhaps its not more storage space that you need, but less garbage cluttering your home.
>>
>>1216387
Yes a knee wall is what I was trying to describe, like how an upstairs bedroom would be framed, except with a horizontal runner board and 3 or 4 knee studs to block it up, then remove those purlin braces.
>>
>>1216351
How much roof sag would you like to have?
>>
>>1216395
I'm not a packrat, I hate packrats. Only practical storage. Like heaters during summer, fishing rods, Christmas decorations Halloween etc, winter jackets, and stuff like that
>>
>>1216396
I see nothing wrong that that, this is a pretty common thing people do to their homes, best of luck op!
>>
>>1216401
None. That's why I'm bracing. Just trying to get 8ft wide space.
>>
>>1216369
Krikey you're dramatic. You got one response from one person and damn the whole board for being useless. And if you are only looking for positive reinforcement that your plan will work and not criticism, why even post?
>>
>>1216405
You're right. I feel bad now, lots of helpful responses here and I even learned they're called purlin braces. I hope you'll forgive my saltiness.
>>
>>1216408
You 8 the b8 m8. Troll posts still bump your thread to get more attention so you may as well.
>>
File: IMG_6741.jpg (50KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6741.jpg
50KB, 1280x960px
It's not that fucking hard you retards. You'll be fine OP.
>>
>>1216411

Not enough height for that design. Look at OP's pic again; he'd have to crawl. He's fine with just the side parts, and doesn't really need more than the taller verticals since his house is pretty small.
>>
>>1216351
You're fine OP. My house was built in the 50's, has 2x6's for rafters, and my roof isn't sagging. I would tentatively say that you can take the ties out and lose nothing structurally. I will say that I rarely get more than 6" of snow at a time, that could be a major difference.
>>
>>1216418
>My house was built in the 50's,

OP's house looks a lot newer than yours; 50s wood was still old-growth, while his is likely constructed from the modern crap that they harvest before it has developed any strength.
>>
>>1216351
I would suggest rather than moving it lower down, a better solution would be to change the angle. Instead of a 45 degree, do a reinforced 20 degree and attach to the same spot on the roof joist. Vertical if you don't even have room for that.
You're also probably going to want to reinforce with horizontal boards to strengthen the peak. Do a google search for storage truss and pick a layout that works for you to change it to.
Other concerns: depending on what you are putting up there you may need to reinforce the attic floor joists. Airflow is also a concern, you might suddenly develop a moisture/mold problem because the new "room" will block air from flowing through the attic and evaporating the tiny amount of water leaking in during heavy rains.
It also won't be cooling it so the sun on the roof doesn't boil the house during summer.
>>
>>1216402
Ok, fair enough. But in that case you absolutely don't really need to remove the trusses, just put down plywood on each side of the center beam and notch around the truss. You'll have to step over the trusses to get st everything, but just leave a foot on each side free of clutter and you'll be able to get to each of the storage "aisles" pretty easily.
>>
>>1216428
It has good top vents, but this is a plywood floor only, no walls or living space. The current braces attach to the interior wall headers, not the joists, its the main load bearing wall through center of house. Those floor\ceiling joists are doing basically nothing except giving lateral support to the interior walls. Weight wise nothing heavy will be stored up there beyond say 200 psf max.
>>
>>1216351
>Was thinking I'd support it with similar bracing, just lower down towards outer wall

You need to know what sort of structure there is below the ceiling to take up the load of the shorter bracing. Angled bracing will produce both vertical as well as horizontal load where it meets the ceiling. Horizontal can be handled by adding some joists between opposite braces. Vertical will need a beam or load bearing wall below.
>>
File: WP_20170726_003.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170726_003.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>1216435
Can't accept having those braces in the way, I'm already doing a coal miners walk. It'll really help when doing the rewiring I plan. Fabric sheathed wire is scary, like the old school attic fan has in pic related.
>>
>>1216394
Or build around the existing support?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.