[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ReUsing old laptop harddrives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

I don't know the name of the pieces I'm looking for, let alone where to find them.
I opened up an external hard drive in order to use the connector for several old drives, and I'm looking to find where to buy this circuit board, cable, and also casing, rather than switch it around every few minutes. Anyone have a clue? I'm guessing a company like Jameco or Mouser would have this.
>>
>>1215889
>and also casing
you just want a single 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure?
>>
>>1215891
Just to be sure, since I don't know the specific language, I'm speaking of plastic enclosures.

These pieces are sold together, I take it?

And 2-4 would be better.
>>
>>1215895
I bought several years ago. They come as a kit, with case, connector ribbon, circuit board with integrated cable socket and cable and anything else you need. Bought mine off Amazon. Search for enclosure like the other anon mentioned.
>>
>>1215895
yes you buy a plastic enclosure for it and it will come with the circuit board (sata to usb) and cable (usb micro-b 3.0 to usb a 3.0 usually).
i doubt you will find an enclosure without the circuit and cables. i say plastic, some might be metal depends on the manufacturer.

if you want an enclosure to hold a few drives at once its more of a file server type thing and its more expensive.

if you aren't carrying them around you can look for docks, which is just the connector and the drive sits bare on your desk or something. these can connect with eSATA which might be faster?
>>
>>1215897
Hmmm.
More expensive than I would have thought, but I think that has something to do with the fact that I'm not buying it from an electronics supplier like Jameco.
>>
if the case is not that important, you can get one of these for $5-$10.
>>
>>1215889
You are looking for these https://www.amazon.com/ORICO-Enclosure-Transparent-SuperSpeed-2139U3/dp/B01M4LPQZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501021420&sr=8-1&keywords=internal+hdd+case.

>Keywords
>>hdd enclosure
>>internal hdd enclosure

Things To Keep In Mind
>There are a number of connectors used, but in the modern age pretty much every HDD sold these days is a SATA connector. You may also have a PATA use info like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive_interface to identify your connectors.
>>
The terminology you are looking for is "hard drive enclosure" as has been mentioned. Or a hot swappable hard drive adapter if you want quick swaps without putting drives in enclosures. You can also get good hot swap devices relatively cheaply (£40 in UK) that have a very reliable controller and multiple ports for use with IDE and old laptop IDE drives with integrated power if you expect to be using them.

Some extra advice from what's already been mentioned. Not all enclosures are created equal and if you go for the absolute cheapest thing you find it slightly increases the chance you will lose or corrupt your data. So of you will be using these things regularly or for very important data then its worth not getting something that costs 5$. Also make sure you get USB3 enclosures.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.