[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Repeater as a wifi card?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: router-config.png (49KB, 774x316px) Image search: [Google]
router-config.png
49KB, 774x316px
Hi, I got mi this Everest router - ewr-523n2, and I was wondering, if it's possible to set it up in the configuration I just draw in this picture.

It has LAN and WAN/LAN ports, so I was thinking I could connect it with a cable to the PC instead of having to install a wifi card on it.

I'm not a complete noob, have been building my PC's for 20 years, I just don't know too much about networks.

If it's possible, just tell me, I'll google for solution.
Thanks in advance.
>>
1: This is more of a /g/ thing
2: Can't see why it shouldn't be possible, most likely just a matter of settings
3: Install Gentoo on it
>>
>Googled model number
>bunch polish and Lithuanian sites

Jesus christ.

In any case, since I can't be bothered to find spec sheets in English and on my phone, it will probably work that way, but those wall-plug repeaters have terrible reception from my experience. You'll need to connect the repeater to your wireless through whatever wizardry it requires, then connect the pc.

Also, this belongs in either QTDDTOT or /g/
>>
>>1215155
>>1215153
Ok, thank you guys.
>>
>>1215150
depends what the firmware supports
openwrt/dd-wrt both have options for this if you can flash one
look in the settings for something about bridge mode

if you'd have gotten one of the asus routers or a wrt54g you'd be better off

>>1215155
it belongs in /g/ for sure
>>
>>1215158
Why always /g. All they talk about is Ubuntu.. Over and over again. Their like the IT version of uncle ruckus. And this has nothing to do with computers.

Ddwrt/openwrt /tomato/gargoyle

Everest should work just match the model on the compatibility pages and follow the instructions. Don't fuck up or it can brick.

Start reading op.
>>
>>1215286
>Ddwrt/openwrt
Thanks.
Even if I fail, I'll finally learn something about networks.
That shit should be thought in elementary school to everyone now...
>>
>>1215289

Bwahahaha

No. It's not for the masses. And it's just gonna get harder with ipv6.

Just be happy Cisco guys wrote this homebrew on their off time to help out the diyers.
>>
>>1215295
Well, then at least some network basics should... I entered the internets in the times of dialup, It feels extremely complicated now, but maybe cause Im an old fuck.
>>
>>1215303
It has nothing to do with age. It has to do with the business. Unless you need it you won't learn about it.

Try the firmwares and fuck with it. The wikis help and you'll learn alot. But you'll only need 1%.

Trust me unless it's all you wanna do all day it's not worth learning in great detail. Just understand what the building blocks are meant to do.
>>
>>1215305
I guess you're right. It's not that Im a control freak, but it's good to know how shit works, otherwise we'll be on our way into becoming those savages that can only press buttons on the machines, like all those science-fiction writers warned us about.
>>
>>1215309
Wanna really learn shit start using wireshark.

I'm telling ya it's like the food industry. You don't wanna see how they do it...
>>
>>1215155
>bunch polish and Lithuanian sites
We need a treaty that requires any product that is exported from/to anywhere to have all documentation available first in english and only then in whatever bird speak your local communist party uses.
>>
>>1215328
>Poland & Lithuania
>communist

You got something mixed up, friend. It's the western Europe (and Canada... And Australia...) that is ruled by communists, not the post-soviet states.
>>
if the repeater has an ethernet port, it almost certainly can be connected that way. you'll have to look in the manual to see what settings you need to adjust. i have a Tenda Crystalview A5 which does that but the manual is completely useless. fortunately, a guy on youtube made a video to explain it.

another option is to get 2 powerline ethernet adapters. and a third option is to run cable. that's always the best option.
>>
>>1215338
He wants to use an ap as a wifi nic not a repeater.
>>
File: ewr-523n2.png (70KB, 352x263px) Image search: [Google]
ewr-523n2.png
70KB, 352x263px
>He wants to use an ap as a wifi nic not a repeater.

but if a repeater is set up to repeat the packets thru the ETH port instead of out the antenna, then it behaves just like a wifi receiver.

there's a youtube video that probably explains all this but it's in Martian, so i cant say for sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48xtMsPb83A
>>
>>1215532
Sure man, if his fw let's him.
>>
>>1215150
Why not just get a power-line adapter?
>>
>>1215562
I wanted to suggest this but id just get called a buyfag.

Even if those things are awesome.
>>
File: i-KQn7vfw-L.jpg (70KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-KQn7vfw-L.jpg
70KB, 800x451px
>all these janky-ass solutions to fix shitty wifi

Buy yourself a rack (4-6U is plenty), patch-panel or two, box of cable, mud rings, wall plates, connectors.

DIY yourself a cable or four in all the rooms, couple in the attic, couple in the garage.
Buy some APs, mount to the ceiling, connect to cable, patch to switch in rack.

Buyfag or not, the shit I have in my house actually works all over the house.
Sounds like a typical "pay someone to install structured cabling in your house" install would be $1500-2000. Entire job took me about 2mos of casually working on it.
>>
>>1215150
what is the model of the device you have labeled as router in this picture? you may be able to install ddwrt on that device instead, then do the wifi repeating from that device to connect to this janky everest device you have, and then just defaut gateway in the correct direction. thats a whole lot of maybes and sounds like shit but its a start.
>>
>>1215616
I do this professionally and I can't justify it. I only have two ethernet stations, my TV and my PC. I have a synology box in my closet with my router and modem and wires.

I have a 66 block for my phones, but I can't even justify finishing that because why the fuck would I actually use my phones? I need to extend the wires from the bedroom so they can finish their runs into the closet, and run a new cat5e or 6 maybe to the phone nid. Maybe someday they will offer bonded vdsl for a reasonable price and I can kick cable for once in 15 years.
>>
File: i-tZFqpK6-L.jpg (65KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-tZFqpK6-L.jpg
65KB, 799x450px
>>1215676
I figured "do it once and put in more than I'll need".
Or, "If I'm pulling one cable, it's not that much more work to pull four".

Bedroom panels are 2x C5E, 1x Tel, 1x RG6U.
There's two of those panels in each bedroom.

Living room got a 2x C5E, 2x RG6U, 1x Tel, 1x HDMI, and surround connections on either side. C5E/RF/Tel go to the rack, HDMI/Surr go between the two panels.

C5E/Tel where the old telephone jack was in the kitchen.

Two 2xC5E's and one 2xRG6U in the attic. Use those to patch cameras and OTA antenna. House AP's are hidden in closets.

One 3x C5E to the garage. AP, camera, and a spare. >Pic related.

TV's and shit are all wired.
Cameras, visitor WLAN, appliances/IoT each on their own VLAN.
A bit excessive for home use, but I haven't had to fuck with it other than "Apply Update" when new versions are pushed.

Biggest regert is not doing it 8 years ago.
>>
>>1215334
>not the post-soviet states.
Those are more like cleptocracies run by oligarchs.
>>
>>1215753
>run by oligarchs.
The Western Countries? Yes, they are.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.