[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hanging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: DemGimpSkillz.png (22KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DemGimpSkillz.png
22KB, 1024x1024px
Okay so I have a ~1.10 meters long concrete overhang over part of my balcony from which I would like to hang my gymnastic rings.

I would like for a solution that allows me to change the width between the rings fairly quickly/easily.

Most ready made solutions are quite expensive.

For now I have thought of the designs in pic related but I would like your input.

I'm from France BTW, so some hardware may not be as readily available here than in the US.
>>
and you have permission to do this?
>>
File: noose.jpg (153KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
noose.jpg
153KB, 667x1000px
>>1215033
>1.10m = middle of major metropolitan area
>french
>gymnastic rings on balcony
May I suggest this solution
>>
>>1215043
Do I really require permission for this ? I doubt I will cause any damage other than the drilling and it can easily be filled when I move.

>>1215044
Well, to be honest it is not in the middle of a metropolitan area, more of suburb in a smallish town. I made a mistake, it is 1.1m in width, more like 4m long.

>french
Can't argue with that.

>gymnastic rings on balcony
I don't really see the issue. But that may be because I'm french.
>>
>>1215033
I think the top will distribute weumight better but probably requires more drilling. Do you have any idea how you are going to get holes into the concrete? It's probably best if they pass all the way through and we're countersunk on the top with just the nuts on bottom.
>>
>>1215049
Try this website too. http://www.endurancehardware.com/
>>
>>1215049
I prefer top too, but like you said it's probably gonna be more work.
I won't be able to drill through, it must be like 20+cm thick.
I was thinking of drilling pilot holes and putting anchor bolts.

>>1215054
Thanks, but I doubt they ship to France.
>>
>>1215048
>Do I really require permission for this ? I doubt I will cause any damage other than the drilling and it can easily be filled when I move.

that depends on what it says in the rental agreement
>>
>>1215058
Will have to look into it, thanks for reminding my. But I think french are usually less butthurt than burgers on these kinds of things.
>>
>>1215048
>doubt I will cause any damage
of course, drilling into a structural member and adding load it was never designed for, sounds tres bon!
>>
>>1215061
>Be french landlord
>Some shithead drilled HOLES in my fucking building
>Sacre bleu!
>>
>>1215358
Well, to be fair I would not consider this part of the building "structural".
Also, I have already hung from it, both on its edge (part of my balcony is uncovered) and by hanging my rings to a nylon strap wrapped around it (there is a ~20cm hole in it used to pass a gutter pipe through).
So unless a few anchor bolts wrecks its structural integrity, I sincerely doubt it.

Also, the strap solution was fine for quite some time but because of my movement the edges of the overhang ended up chewing through it. So I was looking for a more durable solution.

I see lots of people hanging their rings from two ceiling studs and they're fine, I would have thoughts a +20cm thick concrete overhang would be fine you know.

>>1215360
But, plaster, or whatever you call what is used to fill drill holes, exists.
>>
>>1215033
Depends on the material of the balcony. Find it out and go to your local hardware store and buy appropriate anchors. Make them with a ridiculous safety factor. If you want added safety (for example because old balcony made out of dodgy concrete) bold some kind of beam with more anchors, like four. Add rings to said beam by bolting trough. Inspect regularly.
>>
>>1215709
Thanks for the input.

How do I identify what type of concrete it is made of ? The building is 3 years old BTW.
Wouldn't the top solution in my drawing kind of act like a beam ?

Obviously I am gonna inspect it each time I work out.
>>
>>1215712
>The building is 3 years old BTW
Remind me to never rent anything to a Frenchman
>>
File: FD8Edsn[1].jpg (26KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
FD8Edsn[1].jpg
26KB, 640x360px
putting bolts in balconies, watertight seal where possible, and definitely if you were filling them again afterwards, silcone rather than quick cement. Problem is not so much couple of bolt holes inducing structural weakness, as your disturbing the balconies damp seal and water getting in. You can also be evicted for drilling random holes in structural elements of other peoples apartments (its aboves balcony) without permission, this not entirely unreasonably, but, if you gonna do it?, least do it properly.
>>
>rings on balcony

And, the dismoooooooouuuuuunnnnnnnnn.......!
>>
>>1215033
https://www.amazon.fr/Rawlplug-R-DCA-10-40-RAWLPLUG-r-dca-10-40-M10-Wedge-50-pi%C3%A8ces/dp/B009ZCY0BY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500990819&sr=8-1&keywords=wedge+anchor

get something like those. get some steel U channel with holes. here its called unistrut but im sure they have a local equivalent. use some long bolts with washers to screw it into the anchors. done
>>
>>1215741
Okay, that's interesting. So I will have to make sure that no water gets in, noted. Also, no apartment above mine so that is one less of a worry.

>>1215760
Lol, don't have the clearance to do dismounts anyway.

>>1215784
Yeah, that was pretty much what I was thinking about.
>>
File: images(2).jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images(2).jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>>1215712
A three years old is probably pic related. Don't know what it is called in French nor English.

Continued below
>>
File: images.jpg (3KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 300x168px
>>1215712
>>1215871

Your ceiling might give some hints, also the balcony ceiling.

Look for this structure. It's the seams between the concrete thingies mentioned earlier. It might be so that they are extended trough the wall out to serve as a balcony.
But I'd say that if it is concrete the ceiling, it most definitely will hold in a new building. Concrete is certainly structurally sound enough. If it indeed is built out of pic related you should drill in the cavity, not in between. It will hold anyway and then you don't risk cutting the pre-tensioned steel cables inside. But even if you do miraculously manage to cut one it doesn't matter as it's okay to lose a few cables.

I just bought 24 of these concrete floor pieces and installed them for the house I'm building so that's why I have recently read on the subject quite a lot.
>>
>>1215705
>not consider structural
>concrete
okie-dokie! but if you already have your structural engineering degree why are you asking on here?

>So unless a few anchor bolts wrecks its structural integrity, I sincerely doubt it.
absolutely it could. absolutely.

ceiling 'studs' (joists?) supported at both end is a different kettle of fish to a cantilever beam.

what if its pre-stressed reinforced? i wouldn't be going anywhere fucking near it.
>>
>>1215705
>But, plaster, or whatever you call what is used to fill drill holes, exists.

>rent a car
>drill holes in it
>its cool man, bondo exists
>>
>>1215906
I don't see why you're making a big deal about it. The car's three years old.
>>
>>1215893
I understand what you are saying.
I just thought that the overhang being that massive and looking that sturdy I would have no structural problem but you're right, I see how it could be bad now. I guess it depends on its nature.
Also, other apartments have the same kind of overhang (at least from what I could see), but which are used as the floor for the above balcony (don't know if I am clear), and to which guardrails are bolted, that also gave me confidence that I could bolt something to it.

>>1215871
>>1215875
I am not at home right now so I will have to check later but I am pretty sure there are no seams, will have to make sure. Only noteworthy thing I recall is that all the way, maybe 5cm from the edge, there is like a soft ~2cm groove. I could take pictures.

>>1215906
>>1216035
Well, if it doesn't cause any structural harm and aesthetics are restored afterwards, I really don't see a problem.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.