[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

8' Desk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

I have a 100" stretch of wall space in my bedroom where I would like to fit a desk. A 8' desk would work great as it would only leave a 2" gap on each side. Standard desks seem to all top out at 5'. Work benches are available in 8' and are reasonably priced (pic related for $250) but the depth is only 24'. I'd like 30' of depth to avoid sitting too close to the screen.

What are my options? I thought about joining three 2"x10"x8' boards on top of workbench legs, but I don't have a planer so I would have to use brackets and I'm worried about unevenness/warping. I thought about getting two IKEA tabletops (Gerton) and cutting one down to 3' but then the spacing of the legs would be shitty.

I'd really like to stick with a 8' desk because the idea is to set up my computer/screens on one side and have a work area on the other while being able to move seamlessly between the two. I could get two 4' desks and have them side by side, but then the legs would be in the way. That and the 4' desks generally seem pretty shitty to begin with.
>>
you dont need a planer. glue them together and sand them flush
>>
>>1214863
Nah anon, he just needs a hand plane. 13 bucks at home depot.
>>
14 inch Jack plane or router sled
>>
At that length you may want to find a friend with a joiner.
>>
Ikea do a 120cm table top, the Linnmon is particleboard and the Klimpen is particleboard with a 10mm solid wood top. You could make a bracket for the front to join the two and have legs at each corner and the centre back for moderate stability.
>>
>>1216095
A solid metal frame would be better for stability than a bunch of legs screwed into particleboard
>>
File: DoorDesk.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DoorDesk.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
If you're in the USA, go to your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Buy a solid core door for ~15 bucks. Then go to an Ikea and buy 4 OLOV legs, for 15 bucks each.

You've now made yourself a bench for 75 dollars.

This is my desk that I built yesterday.
>>
>>1216841

>those hinge holes in the front

should have cut the edge of the door off to get rid of the hinge holes. wouldnt have affected your usable space to lose that 1/4 inch of wood
>>
>>1214860
If you use 3 2x10's you'll only have about 27" of width. I'd think about using a sheet of 3/4" plywood, the good stuff (furniture grade). Cut it at 30", take your 18" wide piece and glue/screw it underneath to make the part you'll see 1 1/2". Add legs, round over the edge, and you're good to go.
>>
>>1217846
TWISI, Those hinge holes are mounting points for gaymen peripherals. Was considering putting a headphone hook on one, might build a mount for a HOTAS next, since I play a lot of Elite:Dangerous.
What drew me to the idea of a doorbench is the fact that the only tools I needed were a screwdriver and a cordless drill. Once I start worrying about trimming and aesthetics, I might as well just buy an actual slab of wood, dig?
>>
>>1218438
>>1218438
>Once I start worrying about trimming and aesthetics, I might as well just buy an actual slab of wood,

well, if you already HAVE a circular saw, it takes no additional MONEY to trim that 1/4 inch off the edge. and im sure you got that door alot cheaper than you would have gotten a decent piece of wood the same size.

people always justifying something as an excuse to be lazy
>>
>>1218782
The fuck are you, Mattias Wendel? It's a cheapass desk, not an art installation. Calm your 'tism.
>>
File: kissmyass.jpg (105KB, 957x439px) Image search: [Google]
kissmyass.jpg
105KB, 957x439px
>>1218799
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.