[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY USB to 12v adapter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 7

Hey /diy/ long time lurker looking for feedback and discussion on battery powered junk, in particular my USB to 12v adapter that I made because from what I've read most on amazon overheat and stop working. Check out the penny heatsink and custom clamp.

I made it using only one USB input at first but the USB cable got pretty hot. Since the battery charger I'm powering (Nitcore i2) pulls 12 watts (1 amp 12 volts) I realized that means I'm pulling more than the USB cable was meant to supply (probably 1-2 amps 5 volts).

So now I have two USB cables which I can use either with my 21 watt USB solar panel or a multi port 110v>USB adapter (which is still preferable since the using 110v cable with the i2 directly creates dickloads of RF interference that locks up my laptops touchpad from feet away and causes a storm of false touches on my phones touchscreen when placed within 6 inches). I realize I could have used a thicker "supercharge" USB cable that does 25 watts by itself but I didn't have any broken ones laying around. Does this seem like a fire hazard or is it fine as is? The case will be vented.

Lets discuss other battery pack bullshit too. I just got a 26,800 mAh Anker powerbank for $40 bucks on prime day. Now I want to hook two together and add a 19 volt adapter (for my laptop) and an inverter. Can I rewire the batteries in each pack as 4S2P for 14.8 volt output for the inverter while leaving them also wired up as 2S4P 7.4v output for the USB circuit already on it? I'm having trouble figuring out if it'll cause problems. I appreciate any input and hope other people will share their ideas.
>>
>>1214750
>>
Would have been easier to just use an old laptop charger with a DC-DC stepdown (Assuming laptop output vdc > 12)
>>
>>1214826
Not sure I follow. The main point of this is to be able to plug in my universal battery charger (Nitecore i2 which requires 12v input) into my solar panel or USB battery bank (both have 5v USB output). Sorry if I was unclear. Using a laptop charger stepped down to 12v would be the same as using the original 110v input (maybe without the RF problem).
>>
>>1214836

Use a dc-dc step up with appropriate cables.
>>
File: Cyntur-Jumper-Pack-Mini-590x393.jpg (65KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
Cyntur-Jumper-Pack-Mini-590x393.jpg
65KB, 1000x666px
>>1214750
Bumping with pic related, it's a fucking beast. Can jump start a V8 with 400 amps peak 250 continuous. American made so hopefully it won't explode like cheap ones on amazon do. Unfortunately the only models that include 19v output (for laptops) are cheap chinese firebomb trash. The amazon reviews literally have pictures of them on fire. Luckily there exists a 12 cigarette lighter plug adapter for this type of jumper pack so that I can wire up a boost converter to power my laptop. Or maybe even plug in an inverter. It's only 12,000mAh but that's not bad considering it's utility.
>>
>>1214845
It is a DC-DC step-up. 5vDC to 12vDC. What do you mean proper cables, 25W supercharge USB? Two cables seems to work fine. The commercial 5vDC (USB) to 12vDC adapters seem to firehazard trash.
>>
File: cyntur.png (63KB, 694x434px) Image search: [Google]
cyntur.png
63KB, 694x434px
>>1214847
>Can jump start a V8 with 400 amps peak 250 continuous.
>>
>>1214877
Yeah, I know, I got the new cables. All they do is shut the battery off after the engine starts. You were supposed to disconnect them as soon as the engine starts but the main problem arises when people forgot and were surprised when it melted. If you're making the point that I shouldn't try to pull 250 amps from it continuously, trust me, I won't. I will probably just run my 90 watt laptop off it.
>>
File: 51qkBGW8F2L._SL1001_.jpg (36KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
51qkBGW8F2L._SL1001_.jpg
36KB, 1001x1001px
>>1214847
Heres the 12 plug adapter. Obviously doesn't have a protection circuit but it shouldn't need it just to power a 12v laptop charger or a 12v fan or something.
>>
>>1214995
>All they do is shut the battery off after the engine starts
The lump in the red wire is a board with multiple diodes to keep any power source from feeding back into the battery pack.
The failure was people cranked for too long which shorted the diode(s) making it into just a wire.
When the car started it fed back into the pack because of the failed diodes.
Sometimes just the cranking too long overheated the battery pack which went into a runaway condition and burst into flames.
Sometimes it was the alternator feeding back into the battery pack with the shorted diodes causing the runaway condition.

Even with the new cable don't crank for more than a few seconds.

>>1215003
>doesn't have a protection circuit
They aren't expecting the socket to be connected to a source of power.
>>
>>1215110
>>1215110
Yeah I read the thing by cyntur. Even though their original protection circuit failed, I trust their new one more than Chinese junk. I've tested it and it shuts off as soon as the car starts. The new one contains more than just diodes.
I learned long ago not to crank for too long even with normal jumper cables. Made my mom's Camry smell like burnt plastic...

>They aren't expecting the socket to be connected to a source of power
True but that's not the only thing it protects from. It also shuts off if it's shorted out or draws too much power (the lipo cells should have their own individual protection but I read they suck and should be redundent)
>>
a penny as a heat sink, brilliant.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (63KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
63KB, 1280x720px
>>1215175
That's the real reason I made this thread, to hear that. lol.

Pic related is the 26800mAh powerbank I got, it has dual input so it can get a full charge in 6 hours. I'm thinking about wiring the batteries into 4 series 2 parallel at 14.8 volts and boosting that to 19.5 for my laptop. I know I could have just bought cells but this thing was $40 on prime day and contains eight 3,400mah panasonic 18650's.

A comparable external laptop battery cost ~$150 and most are Li-Po which are more dangerous and sketch me out after watching one burst in front of me. If I buck/boost the 14.8v to 12v I could even plug in my 150w inverter.
>>
File: 1500852318644.jpg (8KB, 258x190px) Image search: [Google]
1500852318644.jpg
8KB, 258x190px
>>1215175
Frank warm up the van, we got a partial.

>That's the real reason I made this thread, to hear that. lol.

That's why we chose not to mention it. The rest of us could read your thought patterns and chose not to pleasure your narcissism. Then some fuckwhit has to come along and ruin it for the rest of us.
>>
>>1215688
>That's why we chose not to mention it. The rest of us could read your thought patterns and chose not to pleasure your narcissism. Then some fuckwhit has to come along and ruin it for the rest of us.

But, I was clearly joking. I came here hoping to get feedback on my half assed adapter and talk about power banks. You can't even spell fuckwit right. And you're probably too stupid to contribute to this thread.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.