[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plumbing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: AMErlUUlfnc.png (668KB, 960x598px) Image search: [Google]
AMErlUUlfnc.png
668KB, 960x598px
So I'm helping my dad fix something with the plumbing, which requires removing a pipe and he wants to replace it with a PVC pipe. The pipe original pipe is copper? I'm guessing but really don't have a clue. Anyone know if this is safe or even recommend? I just feel that maybe replacing it with a copper pipe is better but I'm completely clueless to this and want to know the difference between the two. Also might it affects the winter months.
>>
File: 7-Quest-Pipe.jpg (51KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
7-Quest-Pipe.jpg
51KB, 300x225px
>>1214590

It is ok if he does it right, but they never use it in construction; it might even be illegal. Around here (NC) new construction uses PEX which can withstand freezing.

http://www.zurn.com/products/pex-cross-linked-polyethylene

It requires a special crimping tool that has to be dead on accurate to prevent leaks, but any moron plumber can do it so I'm sure your dad can too. Adapters are available to hook into other types of pipe.
>>
PEX
PEX
Repeat after me:
PEX

Go drop under 100 on the tool and you're good to go for any non-drain plumbing.
>>
>>1214590
replacing copper with plastic/pex is like giving yourself haemorrhoids.
replacing copper is simple enough but the tools are an investment.
>>
>>1214590
>fix something with the plumbing
woah, woah....not so many details

>>1215020
>the tools are an investment

wouldn't quite call it that, they're not that expensive
>>
>>1214590
if it is copper, then is a potable water pipe and you DO NOT use PVC.
PVC is for waste waters, rain and so.
there are other plastic materials you can use.
>>
>>1214998
>>1214594
I told him about getting PEX but he said we probably wouldn't need it since it has to expand to work? I'm not sure if that's true or not but it's what he said.
>>1215036
Well there's a leak in the pipe and he wants replace the current T-pipe with one that has a pipe going up to insert a machine that unclogs it. I don't know what it's called but it has a long wire that we use in pipes Evey once in a while. >>1215168
Well I think it's copper, I'm not sure but I will get a picture of it right quick
Would PEX be fine?
>>
>>1214590
Are you talking about a drain pipe or a supply pipe. Huge difference. Post pics, kid.
>>
>>1215262
http://imgur.com/a/5AO0S
Here's the pipes
>>
>>1215264
>>1215268
Here
>>
>>1215268
Hm, looks like 3" or 4" steel pipe. you'll have to check local code on redoing it in PVC, but you can't just hack off that cleanout tee and fernco a piece of PVC to it; the whole thing back to the house has to be redone. Why those fucking guys would bury a fucking clean out in the first place is veyond me.
>>
>>1215268
Looks like old clay waste pipe. Just replace it with PVC.
>>
>>1215290
>Hm, looks like 3" or 4" steel pipe.

Good god that's as bad as OP calling it copper, but at least he wasn't posing as a knowledgeable person.

>>1215314
>. Just replace it with PVC.

Exactly. They make rubber collars that adapt the old clay/terra cotta pipes to PVC. The old pipes are bad about letting tree roots in, and it's incredible how one tiny root over enough years can absolutely fill the pipe.
>>
>>1214998
what's up with drain plumbing?
>>
>>1215262
>insert a machine that unclogs it
a drain snake?

>I think it's copper
it's definitely not

>Would PEX be fine?
pex is for supply lines, that looks like a drain

PVC is the right pipe to use
if the problem is that is it getting clogged, the problem very well might be what >>1215345 said, in that case, a drain snake won't do anything against roots
>>
>>1215362
It's bigger.
>>
>>1215345
Clay waste lines? Bury a rubber adapter in the ground without batting an eyelash? What kind of nigger are you and what nigger state do you live in?
>>
>>1215390
Yes I think that's what is called

Sorry I don't know much about pipes

And it might be, that pipe there had a small cut on it but I'm sure if all of them have roots, but the location of that one had some.
>>
File: terra_cotta_roots.jpg (17KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
terra_cotta_roots.jpg
17KB, 259x194px
>>1215409
>Clay waste lines? Bury a rubber adapter in the ground without batting an eyelash?

I realize you are just trollin but anyway.

Here's what roots can do to "clay" or terra cotta pipes once they find that tiny opening. Some clay pipes are sealed with something like cement but they still crack after enough years, unlike pvc which can flex and if glued properly should not allow roots in.
>>
>>1215409
>Bury a rubber adapter in the ground without batting an eyelash?

Again, I'll humor you. This adapts the larger clay pipe to the 4" PVC. Where do you think it would go, if not in the ground?
>>
File: Tree-Roots2.jpg (677KB, 1360x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Tree-Roots2.jpg
677KB, 1360x1020px
>>1215706

The interesting thing about this is that normal sewage will flow through this, because toilet paper falls apart when wet. But as soon as someone flushes a paper towel or condoms or feminine hygiene products the line will stop flowing well.

Pipes that are 100% full of roots like this one can work for a long time if the occupants never flush anything except shit, water, and toilet paper.
>>
>>1215710
So the trees feed on our shit :thinking:
>>
File: 6390B7085.jpg (17KB, 190x400px) Image search: [Google]
6390B7085.jpg
17KB, 190x400px
I am >>1215168 again.
I don't know what material is that, it's not copper, nor steel, it doesn't look like PVC neither. maybe it's terracota as some people said here, but I didn't work with that material.
but looking at the pipes diameter it must be a waste pipe, so PVC would be right.
about gettin clogged with roots, look for something like the pic, and be FUCKIN CAREFUL, it has like 95-98% of sulfuric acid.
>>
>>1215707
this can be done with a blowtorch
>>
>>1215707
Yeah, I know what that is, but if you don't see an issue with burying a rubber adapter with regular old hose clamps on it under it, then I'm done talking with you.
>>
>>1215770
No, planting a tree up to a persons ass is not a viable sollution.
>>
>>1215829
Then what the fuck do they make them for genius? All those above ground sewer pipes? You must be legit retarded. They are rated for direct burial.
>>
>>1215168
Pvc I fine for cold water supply. Been spec for a long time. Yes dwv pipe is different from pressure pvc pipe. Cpvc is next step up, it's stable under moderate temps. Only difference is cpvc is chlorinated pvc. Won't break down easy under hot water. Point is, don't tell people shit you don't know.
>>
>>1216082
>Pvc I fine for cold water supply.
I said potable water.
>don't tell people shit you don't know.
ok
>>
>>1215262
>Well there's a leak in the pipe and he wants replace the current T-pipe with one that has a pipe going up to insert a machine that unclogs it. I don't know what it's called but it has a long wire that we use in pipes Evey once in a while.

Translation: He wants to add a clean-out so he can snake the line when it clogs.

It's fine to use a Fernco adapter and PVC sch40 to fix the problem.

As usual, your dad is right.
>>
>>1216245
Potable water is fine to run in pic that is rated for it. It's been used for 50+ years. Hell alot of smaller towns use it as public water supply.
Source, city engineer
>>
>>1215262
I didn't realise you were talking about a drain pipe, sorry. PEX is only supply.

My current hell: 5.20 inch inner diameter opening on a branch off from the main soil stack. Remodeling and knocked out the terrible toilet connection of weirdly adapted abs into the stack. Finally got a bigass service weight gasket so I have to clean the icky rust, jam the gasket in, lube up the ABS and j-j-j-jam her in. 5" service weight gasket allows 4" ABS inside, I have a 4 to 3 ring to adapt it. I think the previous owner, rather than cleaning out the pipe and using a 5" gasket, used a weird 4" gasket-like thing so they could use 3" ABS for the soil line. No wonder that literal shit was slow-leaking.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.