[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

eBike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: ThePlan.jpg (572KB, 1800x1012px) Image search: [Google]
ThePlan.jpg
572KB, 1800x1012px
So I've been scouring the internet for decent guides on how to create an electric bike. I have a good understanding of what it would take to build it regarding assembly, but I need recommendations for specific components to use for optimal power delivery and speed. While I do have soldering skills and a welder, I do cyber security professionally and have minimal experience with powerful electronics. The guides I have seen usually result in weak bikes that can hardly make it up a 5% grade. From what I was able to gather the basic building blocks are as follows:
>simple no-frills bicycle
>car battery
>electric motor
Some sort of throttle would be nice as well (using a resistor or something) to make speed control easier and the power consumption more efficient. I have access to a large workshop with every possible tool that will be necessary for the endeavor. Time and cost are not a huge factor as I get paid very well and have a metric fuck-ton of paid vacation days to spare. My only goal is to build something powerful and potentially very quiet. Let me know if this topic has been covered to death and give links to useful resources or a competent guide if possible. Thank you for your time /diy/

P.S. If anyone reading this happens to be in the Portland area of Oregon and would like to help with this in person lemme know!
>>
Don't use a car battery, they're way too heavy for an ebike. Use a bunch of 18650 lithium cells
>>
>>1214528
Already a very useful tip, thank you!
>>
Do you want it to be legal? Most places limit motor output.

Do you want pedal assist or electric motorcycle?

Do you want stealth? Hub motor is a lot less obvious than a mid motor.

Do you have a stout bike? Bikes are not meant to have a motor strapped to them and will often get destroyed due to the power.

Are you going to add aftermarket brakes? Try stopping a bike going 60mph with 200 pounds on it with stock brakes. Look at some beefy disk brakes.
>>
>>1214535
I'm glad you are asking these questions because I am pretty clueless about bikes as well. I'm completely unconcerned with legality, pedal assist is preferred, relative stealth is a must, bike is not a stout, and will DEFINITELY get some heavy-duty brakes. Thank you for the insight and thorough questioning! What kind of bike would you recommend for modification?
>>
File: _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
OP here, this is the bike I am planning to work with but I'm still very open to suggestions for a better one. Pics or Amazon links are appreciated.
>>
>>1214547
probably the batteries are worth more than the bike
>>
>>1214587
Definitely, the bike I got for free.
>>
>>1214547
>that chain gonna snap

Electric bikes consist of 3 parts. A motor, a controller (wires, throttle and energy conversions) and a battery, that's about it.

Lithium ion is generally what you want to get, don't skimp out on this unless you want a house fire, if you do skimp out on the battery, charge it in a fire pit. There are pretty slick batteries you can buy that are compact, light, and can be locked and unlocked from the bike, I would go with those.

There are 3 kinds of motors, front hub, rear hub and a mid drive. Front hub is shit but is easy to install, rear hub is stealthy and has better traction, and mid drives can make use of your gear system and are more efficient on hills, but are also harder to install +$$. You can get the motor direct from china like from qa or something, even the cheap ones seem fine, the quality of the rim and spokes, and the correctness of the spoke threading is more important due to all the torque.

wattage determines electric motor power. 750 watts is usually the legal limit and will make you go about 25 mph or so. To give you an idea, the average cyclist is going on about 150-200 watts under human power. Also, motors and batteries can peak, so its possible to have a bike with a 750w peak at 1500 or so for a few seconds accelerating and some controllers just do that for you. Oregon lets you have 1k watts which is plenty to climb hills and stuff. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

That being said, you can put 10,000w hub motors on a bike. It would rip yours apart in 21 nanoseconds. It wouldn't be insane to put some 1500w motor on, because police would never know anyways and the acceleration alone would be nice. But you would want to get a less shit bike before considering that, and if you have some sort of accident, it would suck if they found out.
>>
>>1215052
>cont

Be careful of cheap parts. There are tons of cheap conversion kits with spokes the blow out and controllers that cant deal with a bit of rain. I read a post by a guy super proud of himself for making some 250 dollar ebike with a 120 dollar kit and a sixty dollar battery and a year later he was talking about the whole wheel blowing off, spoke ripping etc.

In any case, plan to get good at bike repair with that shit bike.

Here are some links

tutorials on a store that serve as a nice intro: http://www.ebikes.ca/learn.html
reddit clusterfuck: https://www.reddit.com/r/ebikes/

As far as range goes, on throttle alone, 20 miles is the standard. You can pay for megahuge batteries to get a bit more, and using pedal assist usually triples your range, but everything varies due to rider weight, hills etc.

If you think it would help, I can link the kits and parts Ive been looking at.
>>
>>1214528
This 100% op. I have actually even bought 4 12ah sla batteries and they were still beyobd heavy and shit.

Build or buy a lithium pack.

National law is 750 watt max but u can buy some 1,000 watt kits with a switch for 750 watt on road use.

Mid drive is best i hear but an entire hub motor kit can be had for like $175 so its up to u.
>>
>>1214547
Tgis bike is fine. Luggage rack mount your batteries and get a rear wheel 1,000 watt kit. Done and done. No peddles even required most of the time
>>
>>1214604
Lol, a descent lithium pack is like $500. It will cost more than the rest of the entire build and be worth it.
>>
>>1214539
Most street legal bikes have two settings, street mode (limited power) and "off road" mode which is full power. This makes it "legal" as long as you don't flip that switch and go too fast :P
>>
>>1215192
It could be less if he buys used laptop batteries and rips out the cells, tests them all and assembles the good ones with a BM. Of course he'd need to either risk soldering every single cell without bursting them or build a spot welder out of a microwave transformer.
>>
>>1215206
Shitty batteries in china would be better than bulky repurposed laptop batteries. /diy/ batteries can be great if you're amazing at electronics and building cells, but most /diy/ batteries I see are complete dogshit and hardly compete on price. Plus the risk of setting his own house on fire.

http://www.sun-ebike.com/b-48v12ah-li-ion-battery-with-case-and-3a-charger_p0040.html
>>
>>1214514
I'll be in Portland until Friday this week and next Mon/Tues. Then heading back to California for Uni.
>>
File: 22369.jpg (36KB, 572x768px) Image search: [Google]
22369.jpg
36KB, 572x768px
>>1215976
Hell yeah my dude! Now how do we exchange contact info without doxxing ourselves to the etirety of 4Chan?
>>
>>1216089
We can meet somewhere downtown. That's where I'm staying. I have tomorrow off. It'd be better to meet before 5pm. If not I can do later if necessary.
>>
>>1216108
>>>1215192
I could do thursday, will be clear in Tigard tomorrow.
>>
>>1216124
I can do Thursday. If you like beer we meet at Beer O' clock or Bailey's which are downtown. If not somewhere for coffee downtown. You set the time.
>>
>>1216160
Ok dude, how about 10'oclock at Baileys?. I'll be in my blue fursuit (rainbow dash themed, but a fox version I invented with som bro's on /mlp/). It will be so fun to meet another channer, can't wait to meet you!
>>
>>1216180
I'm assuming you mean 10pm on Thursday correct? If so, sounds good
>>
>>1215976
>>1216089
>>1216108
>>1216124
>>1216160
>>1216180
>>1216193
We will be watching news
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.