[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

induction furnace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1450343308233.jpg (1MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1450343308233.jpg
1MB, 2560x1600px
I want to melt a substantial volume of aluminum, like something like 40 kilos or 8 gallons. Definitely on the far end of doing at home, since it would need some sort of special connection to the electric supply that could deliver the 30-50kW I think it would need.

The real question in my mind, though, is what frequency to switch at? It looks like "moderate" frequencies have become popular, but I don't know what that means. I've seen people going for hundreds of kilohertz, and seen people going for less. Does anyone know what frequencies commercial units switch at, or anything?

It'd probably be easiest to just use propane and propane accessories, but I'm worried about the cost and getting enough gas to make it work. Any thoughts appreciated.
>>
>>1214339
melting all at once?
>>
>Pay a scrap foundry $20
Problem solved
>>
>>1214339
Whynot build a refractive cement cage, use a thermoelement made from regular ass steel,
and put a lid on it?

Easy kicks mate,
>>
>>1214345
fuckin brilliant

>>1214350
>regular ass steel,
my understanding is that this stuff is soluble in the aluminum, or at best short-lived due to heat
>>
>>1214356
>fuckin brilliant
except there are no scrap foundries in the US
>>
>>1214339
. 5 kHz to 50 kHz

The frequency determines the skin depth, and how deeply it's heating the metal. Too low and the metal becomes turbulent. Too high and ur reducing the heat. It's also dependent on the working coil parameters and what you wanna do. Wiki is your friend and there's a FUCK TON of brochures out there's explaining this shit.

Tbh if you can afford an electric 50kw melter you can afford a second hand generator sized for the application.
>>
>>1214350
This guy comes to mind

https://youtu.be/6fvBzlrlKl0
>>
>Electric furnace
Why? Just use gas. It's cheaper in almost every way.

Induction furnaces are cool and all but you need a special High Frecuency rectifier and such, plus thwy are used for more specific uses (like purifiying aluminum). Just get gas
>>
What about arc?
>>
>>1215148
>What about arc?

Fine idea. I can see you researched your question and used OPs desired melting parameters. Good job, Ace. You solved the problem and only had to blurt out

>What about arc?
>>
>>1214345
Yeah, if its a 1 off casting just ram your sand mold in the larking lot and pay them to pour.

Take it from me anon. Dont melt mass quantities unless you are making money doing it. It honestly sucks a lot of ass.

Source: i built a trailer mounted foundry and cut it up after the 5th heat. Saving for a nonferrous electric or ill never melt aluminum again.
>>
>>1214389
Wat???

Every scrap yard ships aluminum a few miles to a foundry. Wtf
>>
>>1215181
We closed them all and now we ship all scrap to China. I think it was Carter
>>
>>1215184
Also. Goes. To. Québec.
>>
>>1214339
My waste oil burner outputs easily several tens of kilowatts. When I up the fuel the whole contraption glows red. It has the added benefit of being able to melt aluminium in a bucket that the exhaust blows into. Or just keep your Al in a bucket in front of the exhaust for pre-heating before going in the crucible.

But easily doable. 40kg isn't that much. 2,7kg/l, 13l?
>>
>>1215181
>Every scrap yard ships aluminum a few miles to a foundry. Wtf

Not in the US. The Clean Air Act closed a lot of small foundries which were marginal anyway because sand casting is largely obsolete except for art and hobbyists. It's easier to recycle aluminum scrap on a large industrial scale so that's how it's done.
>>
>>1215184
Maybe the big ones vut in a 30 miles radious are half a dozen junk yards. Far as i know all aluminum and vrass goes to the local foundry. Not sure on steel
>>
>>1217073
Well shit... there go my hopes and dreams. Fuckit. I can run hobby scale with an llc right? Would uncle same let me do it in a shop with like 3 rmployees or nah?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.