[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So bought a house, it has these paver blocks laid down on an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: paver.jpg (716KB, 1649x959px) Image search: [Google]
paver.jpg
716KB, 1649x959px
So bought a house, it has these paver blocks laid down on an inch of sand to make a small back patio.
I found the same ones at the hardware store, so I bought some new ones planning on paying them down extending it out about 4 feet both ways.
I was just going to dig out and lay the new bricks and sand down as a quick and dirty thing but am worried.

Its hard to see from the pictures, but the whole patio is dipped towards the house as it was built on a slight hill. About 8 feet going away from the house the slight incline becomes a decline and is a noticeable hill.

From a rain and water standpoint, is this a problem? The water is going to pool in the sand under the blocks and fall towards the foundation of the house right?
There is no basement.

I was thinking of removing the incline. pulling up all the existing pavers, moving the sand, and just chopping the hill off.. Just making the dirt a slight decline from the first bricks all the way to the actual small hill 8 feet away from the patio.

Would this huge amount of extra work be worth it? Or am I over thinking it?
>>
>>1214331
Just to be clear because I rambled.

Is having a slight hill (with a layer of leveling sand) going towards the house going to damage or hurt my foundation?
And would changing the hills direction so the water falls away from the house have any real benefits?
>>
bottom line: it should be graded away from the house

whether you consider the possible drainage issues enough to redo the whole thing the right way, is for you to decide

personally, I practically never try do a poor job on purpose, and tacking on a nice patio addition to a crappy one would just make the whole thing seem pointless
>>
Nigga make a tl:dr, some of us are 4 hours late for work.
>>
>>1214331
For such a non-hill it will only be an issue with surface water run off because water is already absorbed into the ground, and looking at your picture it seems the hill is already going down away from the house a bit further down so unless there is some noticeable stream of water running towards the house then it should not be a problem.
>>
My "Yeah, redo it" points would be if water tends to pond by the backdoor after rain - there's nothing worse than a puddle you have to step over/through to get into the house, and/or if there are signs of moss/algae growing on the pavers.

I'd aim the new finished level to be at that concrete sill, but I'd dig down enough so I could put some fine gravel down in addition to the sand.

We have something called 'crusher dust' here, which is a fine grade (8mm to dust) of roadbase gravel and it is a good paver base - drains well, but not as fine as sand so it's not as prone to washout.

From the looks of it, the ground should be pretty soft so it shouldn't be too hard to dig out to get room for 50mm of base and a 3% fall away from the foundations.
>>
File: 1500448965908.jpg (85KB, 797x748px) Image search: [Google]
1500448965908.jpg
85KB, 797x748px
>>1214353
>We have something called 'crusher dust' here, which is a fine grade (8mm to dust) of roadbase gravel and it is a good paver base
(Sorry, had to)
Do you think this guy gets PTSD when he hears the word gravel?
>>
They probably also have something called "3/4 minus" which is 3/4 inch stone and everything smaller than that, makes a great base for pavers. Do a 4" layer of that over landscape fabric, 2" of sand, some screed pipes, rent a plate compactor for a day or two and do it right. Find a video of someone setting a paver patio for directions, I'm pretty sure This Old House has a good one on Youtube that shows a pretty standard method for laying the bases and setting pavers level.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.