[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tools General thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10

File: Jeff-Crompton-built-pouches.jpg (50KB, 768x574px) Image search: [Google]
Jeff-Crompton-built-pouches.jpg
50KB, 768x574px
Tool belt edition

Anything related to tools goes, What do you guys use daily?
>>
>>1214214
I put a tool belt on once every blue moon. That said, I got a complete Occidental tool belt for $25 from a ReStore so that is what I use when I have to. It was nearly new and came with suspenders. I hear they got for a lot of money.
>>
File: 41F+4C-7zFL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (12KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
41F+4C-7zFL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
12KB, 350x350px
I've got your average setup in my toolbelt for working commercial construction. The past few months I've been putting up steel walls in a luxury timeshare resort high rise and I've been harming my wrist and defying OSHA by using one of these extremely satisfying bastards all day.
>>
>A hammer
>Fencing staples
>Pencil
>Logging tape
>Fencing pliers
Pretty much all thats in my belt, dont know why you thought this would be interesting OP.
>>
File: 20170402_194440-min.jpg (1MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170402_194440-min.jpg
1MB, 5312x2988px
>>1214214
Anyone in the concrete trade here, preferably industrial/heavy commercial? I've tried a lot of tool belts but none seem to have enough bags/dividers for the tons of fasteners and form clips concrete requires, any ideas on carry around form clips, symon forms and tons of shit like that?
>>
>>1214887
symon form pins*
>>
>>1214214
That's pretty much exactly what I carry minus the planer. Also a lot of cigarette butts.

I do window replacement.
>>
Chippy here might post a photo later on

Tape
pencil/permanent marker
Combo square
Estwing 20oz hammer
2 chisels one for bashing one sharp for finer work
stanley knife
3 nail punches
Iv'e been known to carry a 4 fold rule but normally in place of my sliding square

Im confused by your choice of tools what kind of work are you doing?

Why do you need a block plane while doing work that requires you to be carrying a cats paw/ knips I have a tool bag I generally bring onto a job site which carries all of my lesser used tools eg roofing square, block plane, cats paw, knips
>>
File: 1494599668632.gif (2MB, 212x199px) Image search: [Google]
1494599668632.gif
2MB, 212x199px
>>1214214
nice setsquare. do they come in men's sizes?
>>
File: 68c.png (292KB, 570x439px) Image search: [Google]
68c.png
292KB, 570x439px
>>1216292
You have never done any sort of serious construction work, and that's okay.
>>
File: $_1.jpg (15KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_1.jpg
15KB, 400x400px
Good old leather pouches I got from Lowe's or somewhere like 5 years ago, outlasted most of my coworkers nylon ones and made me a lifelong fan of leather tool belts.

Left side

Pencil
Marker
Utility knife
Scratch awl
Torpedo level
Cat paw/nail puller
Speed square
Small combination square
Strips of framing nails, another for screws, another for random assortment of fasteners

Right side

Tape measure
16 oz Estwing hammer
Tajima chalk line, also same pouch as a handful of different bits for my impact driver
Vice grip pliers
Small shitty putty knife
11-in-1 screwdriver
Small flat prybar
Shitty chisel
Flush cutters/End cutting pliers Not sure what they are called, but Channel lock sells them as "357" and they are probably one of my favorite hand tools to have with me at all times, pic related
3 Nail sets
Normally my impact driver or whatever nail gun I'm using at the time hangs on a leather hoop off the side of my pouch (It should be law that all nail guns are made with a hook on them)

That's mostly my everyday set up that always stays with me, other tools are added and most of my stuff for finish work and trim is kept in a bag that I carry room to room.
>>
File: bags.jpg (151KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bags.jpg
151KB, 1440x1080px
This is what I had in my belt today. Put down some composite decking, pine tongue+groove above, and some cedar clap.

Does anyone know who makes good custom belts? All I can find online is mcrose and diamondback but I want to explore all the options.
>>
>Milwaukee 18v impact driver and cordless drill
>5 in 1
>pry bar
>hammers
>Milwaukee ratcheting screwdriver
>channel locks
>few assorted wrenches
>vice grips
>measuring tape + pencil

Depending on what job I'm doing I might carry more or I might carry less. Usually I'll carry some wirenuts and a drywall saw too if that's on today's agenda. Plumber's putty and thread compound sometimes, though those are usually left on my cart.
>>
>>1214887
There is a set of bags from Occidental that are huge, you can damn near fit a skill saw in the pouch, something like that might have enough space to hold form clips and snap ties without them falling around, not sure what other form systems you use tho
>>
>>1216292
why the fuck would I need a bigass square when all I need it for is making sure forms are square and for making quick cuts?
>>
>>1217411
Occidental seems to be the popular option if you have the cash.
>>
>>1218019
They don't do custom orders, and their setup doesn't work for me. I would definitely get a set if they did.
>>
File: handbags for men.jpg (115KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
handbags for men.jpg
115KB, 850x850px
>>1214887
this, plus your regular belt should see you through
>>
File: blacklader combo.png (488KB, 985x682px) Image search: [Google]
blacklader combo.png
488KB, 985x682px
>>1214214
Usually these pants got me covered, the bodywarmer also has quite some room(though not very usefull for screwdrivers/pliers, but great for screws.

Other than that I have a really cheapo toolbelt that I only use when I wear sweatpants/jeans instead of workpants. Think it was like 10 bucks but it's plenty for my diy jobs at home, although a bit bulky. Might cut some of it off.
>>
>>1214214
Does anybody else refer to the entire tool belt as a 'pouch' or is that just a midwestern thing?
>>
enlighten me on these toolbelt thingies, is that an american only thing? i always thought they look fucking ridiculous. i see them often in american tv shows and movies and i always have to cringe.

people don't wear such things in europe. unless there are exceptions i'm not aware of.

all that shit fits into your pockets, for the hammers we have leather holsters or chains and sometimes, some professions like roofers wear pouches for nails, that's it. why would you need such a belt?
>>
>>1218488
Because it's cheaper than buying 5 pairs of specialized pants.
>>
>>1218434

I had no idea that was only a Midwestern thing, I work in St. Louis and hear everyone call them "pouches", almost never hear "tool belt" from people that work in trades.
>>
>>1218488
I don't think it's a US vs Europe thing as much as you maybe don't personally observe much actual construction work. Having a tool belt with a base set of tools that are always in the same place for quick access and familiarity makes you efficient when working with a crew on a large project. There are tools certain workers use every single day and will never know quite when they need them and it would be retarded to transfer them from one pair of pants to another every single day. It wastes time to not have a measuring tape, speed square, chalk line, hammer, cats paw, chisel, level, set of bits, a pencil and marker and then on top of that a bunch of the same sort of screws or other fastening bits you're running that particular week in the pouches on you at all times. Because on top of that shit you're gonna need a handful of specific tools for whatever job you're doing and a place to quickly access and secure them while you're propped up on a ladder trying to give a hand to a guy who's also up a ladder or hanging off a truss and needs a quick measurement or for you to check is somethings square or [literally a thousand things].

Tool belts aren't cringey, they're essential for serious construction workers and I'm thinking a few other trades. Or maybe in Europe there's no such thing as deadlines and efficiency (I know this is untrue, it's just you).
>>
>>1218488
Toolbelts make sense and are used in europe...

I work at a danish carpentry firm and its half half as to who uses belts and who uses the saddlebacks on the pants.
>>
Estwing 20s
Square
Chaulk line
Small flat prybar
Pencils
Stanley knife

I am currently looking for a new toolbelt where the pouches are not attached to the belt.
>>
>>1218434
In the northwest most dudes just refer to them as "bags"
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.