[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

car air conditioning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170722_204121.jpg (672KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_204121.jpg
672KB, 1500x1125px
Anyone know what this is? I'm replacing the compressor in my car and can't get this part off of the old one to put onto the new compressor which did not come with it. It's attached to the connections for one of the a/c lines, I believe it is the discharge line. I can't find any reference to it online and can't find it for sale anywhere, and it seems to me to not do anything other than make it easier to connect one of the air conditioning lines to the compressor.

Does anyone know what this part is / if my air conditioning will work without it? Vehicle is a 2005 Toyota Rav4.

Pics from different angles will follow.
>>
File: IMG_20170722_204115.jpg (734KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_204115.jpg
734KB, 1500x1125px
>>
File: IMG_20170722_204105.jpg (754KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170722_204105.jpg
754KB, 1500x1125px
>>
>>1214182
>it seems to me to not do anything
I'm sure the factory designed and installed this do-nothing part on these vehicles just because they wanted to spend more money on them.

It's an 8mm (5/16) bolt. Find a socket that fits properly (tight) and take them out so you can move it to the new compressor.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (178KB, 1600x1202px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
178KB, 1600x1202px
>>1214182
>the new compressor which did not come with it
Next time, buy the correct part.
>>
>>1214191
It's held on with two 5.5mm bolts that are very corroded and rounding off even with the correct size socket. I've tried penetrating oil, heat, etc and can not get them to turn at all. I'm here to find out what it is so I can buy a new one instead of fiddling with the old one.
>>1214192
I did, most brand new compressors don't come with it, the one in your photo has obviously been pulled off a car.
>>
>>1214192
he did, you transfer the fittings

OP needs to get it off to attach the lines - they're all a specific length and angle for that car

you can use a torch to heat up the bolt heads and get them off, not too much though that would destroy the orings
>>
>>1214182
>Anyone know what this is?
It's a line adapter. If you don't transfer it to the new compressor, the line on your vehicle will be twisted and strained to reach the compressor without it.
If you can make the line reach and attach it, expect early failure of the line due to stress.
>>
>>1214195
>not too much though that would destroy the orings
heat it up - o-rings are replaceable.
>>
>>1214206
i agree plus theyre cheap as shit and heat will probably damage them anyway if it is as bad as OP says. would rather spend $2 then risk HVAC problems
>>
OP will be much happier if he goes to Toyota forums. This is not a Toyota forum. There are many Toyota forums.

The first thing to learn about /diy/ is it's a last resort when quality resources are exhausted.
>>
>>1214328
I searched on rav4 forum before coming here and any post relating to air conditioning was "DONT TOUCH IT YOURSELF YOU CANT GET THE R134 WITHOUT A LICENSE DONT RELEASE THE R134 INTO THE AIR ONLY THE DEALERSHIP KNOWS HOW TO USE A VACUUM PUMP YOU CAN NOT DO AIR CONDITIONING YOURSELF". I found little to no actual information about it there.
>>
>>1214182
Huh? that part is on your new compressor.
>>
>>1214378
Drill the bolt heads out if you're rounding them off. Replace with some identical threaded ones from a hardware store. Might have to tap new holes if they're that busted up. Could also check junkyards and pull the piece by itself, or hell, the whole assembly.
>>
>>1214193
>the one in your photo has obviously been pulled off a car.
>still has the factory hole plugs in the fittings, those big red things

yeah im gonna say you are just a retard....
>>
>>1214378

bullshit you can buy refrigerant in any auto parts store even walmart. you do not need a license or else they wouldnt sell it in a fucking walmart. to recharge it, you will need a vacuum pump and guages tho.
>>
>>1214378
Yeah, that's the common problem: A simple question about everyday mechanical stuff is met with being lambasted over how impossible and illegal it would be to dare think of doing it on your own.
>>
>>1214191
I mean some shit is not necessary. You can replace your cat converters with a welded straight pipe and never have to deal with the bitches fucking up
>>
>>1214446
>check junkyards and pull the piece by itself, or hell, the whole assembly.
That's not a bad idea, might look into that. I think the nearest junk yard that actually lets you touch things yourself is like an hour away though. I only have a hand drill and couldn't get into them with that. Not sure if it was the drill not having enough power or the bit being junk. I'm gonna try more heat today and try turning it with a chisel and if that fails I might just use this as an excuse to buy a drill press and some nice bits. Luckily the actual part isn't threaded as far as I can tell (seems like they thread into the compressor underneath it) so as long as I can get the bolts out of it I can just find new ones the same size.
>>1214460
I think you need a certificate or something to buy a larger tank of it. I'm taking it to a shop to get it filled because it's about the same price as buying a decent vacuum pump and gauge set (and a cylinder of gas I hopefully will never use again) so I want to make sure I get things hooked up correctly the first time so I don't have to pay them to fill it again. My family has experience with home a/c systems but got rid of their equipment years ago, kinda sucks. There's actually a cylinder of R12 sitting in their shed I have no idea how old it is.

Thanks for the insight anons, I'll keep you updated if I manage to get the damn bolts out.
>>
>>1214591
Hacksaw the bolt heads off before you go buy a drillpress...
>>
>>1214666
One of them is recessed so I couldn't do that with it. Finally got them off with the chisel and got it put in the car now though !
>>
>>1214182
you shouldn't have to swap that part over. before you go nuts, make sure the connector is the same on the new one as the old one. could be the wrong part altogether and getting the right one could solve all your problems. that all being said, i've swapped that piece over before AND cut/soldered connectors due to unavailability or time restrictions. drill the head off the 5.5mm bolts and pull it off. get new bolts from the store and put it on. really though, you probably got the wrong one. parts guys fuck up all the time.
>>
shit wrote all this >>1214803 before >>1214796 posted this. well, good luck anyway
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.