[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY TUNNEL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 4611513649.jpg (150KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
4611513649.jpg
150KB, 800x600px
Hey guys, I live and own property in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I have been thinking about digging a tunnel/mineshaft to use as a fire safe storage, WW3, and nuke fallout shelter. My property is in a remote and rugged area so most of the work would be done by hand, old school style. Anyone know of any good information resources on mine construction? Pic for effect only
>>
Just wing it
>>
>>1214023
Well I can be crafty, but I like to start with with some baseline
>>
Sierra Nevada? Have fun digging through solid granite with your old style hand tools.
>>
>>1214025
Yeah there is a ton of granite here, but I do have experience with explosives. I was a combat engineer in the army for 5 years.
>>
>>1214025
I'm mostly worried about designing supports to prevent caveins and what kind of air circulation would be needed
>>
>>1214031
befriend a miner
>>
>>1214037
Yeah I will have to find one in my area. Not too many anymore around here
>>
I did finally dig this up
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.idahogeology.org/PDF/Bulletins_(B)/B-21.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj0786Y753VAhVlyVQKHQk_D7IQFgghMAA&usg=AFQjCNEni3OJM-2lvxH9rhp_H87wc0LBhg
>>
>>1214087
I was looking for OP to find something like that, looks pretty cool

Also does anyone know what happened to that guy who was digging a tunnel in his back yard there in Virginia?
He stopped posting and his thread died.
>>
>>1214023
And go veeery slowly. Unless you wanna be warboy about it.
>>
>>1214110
Never heard of the guy in Virginia, I'll look into that. I'm going to study this pdf and round up my minions, should be able to get the ball rolling on this in a month or so. I will try to post updates as I progress.
>>
>>1214143
Oh it was just an Anon here on the board digging a hole inside of his shed into rock. Ill see if I can find it in the archives.
>>
>>1214151
https://warosu.org/diy/thread/S1101902
>>
>>1214087
nice find
>>
>>1214087
>dig
>>
>>1214151
Lol funny thread, thanks for finding that for me. I'm envisioning something a little more grand than that, but every bit helps.
>>
>>1214346
rip he died
>>
>>1214989
Nope, not dead, I haven't even stared digging yet. In the planning and logistics phase. Will post pics and shit in a couple of days when I can start.
>>
Rent an excavator, dig a big rectangle pit on the softest ground you can find as deep as you want. buy a used shipping crate (those big metal boxes used on cargo boats) Put it in the pit, bury it and make sure to add ventilation if you plan to stay in it for more than a couple hours. Make sure to think it through though, you don't want your shelter becoming a death trap.
>>
>>1215625
OP here, good advice, I'm thinking about starting that way. But I do want to expand beyond that someday.
>>
I read somewhere Romans used boiling and cold water to crack stone in this kind of work.
>>
>>1215918
>Romans used boiling and cold water to crack stone
you'd be better off just using the appropriate tools
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBMcMGBhUVk
>>
>>1215915
Not good idea, it will be crushed by the weight
>>
>>1215931
Put it inside another shipping container then, or a concrete drain pipe of proper size.
>>
>>1215625
> underrated post

i see what you did there..
>>
>>1215625
This is proper shitposting. Shipping containers can NOT be buried. They will be crushed. Look it up.
>>
OP is going to die in this venture.
>>
File: AngryMissileNoises.png (148KB, 843x517px) Image search: [Google]
AngryMissileNoises.png
148KB, 843x517px
>>1215625

stop it

Anyway, OP, if'n you decide you really do wanna dig yourself a cave, you need to determine how much bracing is necessary to keep it from collapsing and burying you alive. Figure that number and then put moar bracing than that.
>>
>>1215915
That post was a setup and why you shouldn't trust /diy/. Shipping containers aren't suited to burial.
>>
File: 1494604172105.png (446KB, 617x346px) Image search: [Google]
1494604172105.png
446KB, 617x346px
>>1214203
>>
>>1214031
I'm gonna be that guy that says you should have air vents with fans running to the surface in some pipes like in the movies
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.