[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turning off an old ADT security system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: wires.jpg (311KB, 861x865px) Image search: [Google]
wires.jpg
311KB, 861x865px
>be me
>buy a house with ADT Brinks system installed.
>not active, but the infernal thing won't stop beeping.
>call adt, they say I need to unplug it.
>can't find the damn plug. Wires everywhere in the walls and attic. No plug.
>open box (pic related), remove all the wires (I cut the house main power first)
>cover live wires with gorilla tape.
>control panel goes dead. no more beeping.

I achieved my goal, but how bad did I fuck up in the process?
>>
File: brinks.jpg (2MB, 2373x2573px) Image search: [Google]
brinks.jpg
2MB, 2373x2573px
Looked like this beforehand
>>
>>1212913
>unplug
it wouldn't be plugged in, that would be fucking stupid. it will be hard wired into your house electricity.
you only needed to remove the mains power in and the battery leads. external bellbox usually has a battery too so it rings if you disconnect it.

tape is pretty shitty, if you can find the mains wire in that picture your better eyesight than i have, but cut them back so there is no exposed conductor/copper/metal and cover with a suitable rated terminal block or shielded connector.

tape is sticky and leaves sticky messes. bad way to make friends using it on wiring.
>>
That's a 12 v battery and I don't see a transformer in that box.. it's probably got something like a doorbell transformer wired to a box somewhere in your house. Just my guess tho I don't work on alarm systems
>>
>>1212922
Thanks. I couldn't believe the guy on the phone was saying unplug. He kept saying, "Look in the laundry room. Look in the garage. Look in the attic. It's a normal plug."

Will the tape hold (i.e. not start a fire) for a few days until I can get the wire connectors?
>>
File: 41pcohWpLgL.jpg (23KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41pcohWpLgL.jpg
23KB, 500x500px
>>1212928
>guy on the phone was saying unplug
It is. It probably looks a lot like >pic related.
And it's probably in a crawlspace, tucked away in a closet, etc. Might also look on/around your furnace, for the thermostat transformer. The doorbell's usually wired to that, but they may have pulled power for the alarm system off that xfmr too.

There's no mains voltage in the box - everything in there is low-volt - either post-transformer or signal wiring.

And yes, unplugging (or disconnecting power from) the transformer and disconnecting the battery is all the power sources for it.
>>
>>1212913
Jamal how many times have we talked about this?
>>
>>1212920
Wow, what a horribly fucked install.
Little white baggie should have the schematic.

The power feed line was the left most on the bottom.
Who knows where that runs off to. But it sure isn't the way one of those are supposed to be wired.

Look on the board, get the model number, google it. grab the schematic. https://www.adt.com/help/faq/system-user-guides
>>
File: received_10105077974929401.jpg (54KB, 720x780px) Image search: [Google]
received_10105077974929401.jpg
54KB, 720x780px
All you had to do was remove the red and black wires. It's All low voltage so it won't shock you or start a fire or anything. Even if you never find the wallwart, it will all be fine.
>>
By the way anon.. Technically that junk still belongs to ADT. You don't buy those you just pay for the monitoring, that's why they say it's free.
If you want to get rid of it tell them to come take their shit out.
>>
File: phone.jpg (4KB, 295x132px) Image search: [Google]
phone.jpg
4KB, 295x132px
>>1212960
>you just pay for the monitoring
you mean it phones home?
>>
>>1213231
When the alarm goes off it will do yeah
Then they call you and ask for a password and whatever you say they say ok thanks and then send the police if you got it wrong or don't answer.
Except you unplugged it so it can't
>>
>>1212913
Hh
>>
File: ring ring.jpg (2MB, 2373x2573px) Image search: [Google]
ring ring.jpg
2MB, 2373x2573px
>>1213249
Yep.. Just plug a phone into the jack and see if it's still live.
>>
File: door bell transformer.jpg (107KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
door bell transformer.jpg
107KB, 1000x1000px
>>1212934
>your furnace, for the thermostat transformer. The doorbell's usually wired to that, but they may have pulled power for the alarm system off that xfmr too.

No, and no.

The furnace is 24vac and 40-75VA (watts)
The door bell is 16vac and 20-30VA and look similar to pic related
The alarm transformer will look similar to >>1212934
and may be 12vac or 16vac at ~40VA
>>
>>1212956
what this person says.
>>
>>1212913
You fucked up.

The correct method is to crack open the battery, take out the liquid, strain it, then boil it until it fumes white.

Then, with your crudely purified acid, pour it all over the circuitry.
>>
File: 20170722_100002.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170722_100002.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
>>1212913
I did this for my parents after a tenant had it installed. Pretty much the same piss poor install. You're looking to unplug a transformer that's plugged into an outlet (pic related, left). Disconnect the back-up battery (pic related, right) The terminal strip has the red and black low voltage tied in on the left (red jacketed wire going through your wall into the enclosure). Once the transformer and back-up battery are disconnected start removing all the other wires from the terminal strip. Remove keypad faceplates, remove wire, patch wall, ect.
>>
Set fire to your house, that thing will start beeping again one day. Then set fire to your neighbors cat, it's likely to set it off.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.