[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC Airflow

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: airflow feasibility1.jpg (141KB, 967x573px) Image search: [Google]
airflow feasibility1.jpg
141KB, 967x573px
Sup /wsr/! I just bought this mid tower case with a rear stock fan. It is my only ventilation so far. Im planning to buy additional fans sometime this week. (See pic related)

Im familiar with airflow concepts. (Cold air goes in from the front/bottom. Warm air goes at the rear/top.)

My question is, is it worth having 2x120mm fans at the top of the psu shroud?
Will it improve/disrupt airflow?
Will it potentially improve dust build up? Should I use a high airflow fan or a static pressure fan?
Should I consider going for negative pressure or positive pressure?

Case: DeepCool D-Shield
Cpu: Pentium g4560
Board: Asus h110m-k
Ram: 1x8gb HyperX Fury DDR4
Psu: Seasonic S12ii Bronze 80+
Gpu: Palit StormX 1050 Ti 4gb DDR5

Ambient Room Temps: Around 28-30C in the morning and goes to about 32-33C from Noon till before 1800h.
I use my rig for casual gaming mainly on open world games like Fallout4 and Mobas.
I play about 8-15 hrs a day.

CPU and GPU temps at idle: 40C and 32C respectively.

CPU and GPU temps at load (gaming): 60C and 45C respectively.

I live just 13 degrees above the Equator so it's quite hot in here especially summer.
>>
Positive/negative airflow is a myth, just put your fans on the places marked in that pic. I have the same setup and it works great.
>>
>>1212306
>>1212314
This is a slow board. No need for bumps that frequently. You'll probably not get an answer for a while, as in check back tomorrow or in a few hours.
>>
>>1212287
Unless you are trying to cool a nuclear reactor, two fans at the top/rear should be all you need.

If the ambient temperature is too high for 2 fans to keep your system cool, then what you need to do is upgrade the heatsinks and fans on the CPU and GPU. Adding more airflow to the case won't mean diddly doodly until after those are upgraded.

Adding one to the PSU might help extend it's lifespan though, not a bad idea there.
>>
learn photoshop...paint gave me a seizure
>>
>>1212339
Made with Sai. No ragrets.
>>
>>1212316
nope. I can attest to positive airflow with filters on the fans being awesome because your components get much less dirty.
>>
>>1212367
Agreed. Based on online forums, statistically, positive airflow lets dust the least.
>>
>>1212332
>Adding one to the PSU might help extend it's lifespan though, not a bad idea there.

I will consider going that route. My only concern is dust. Maybe I'll just buy dust filters.
>>
>>1212287
Isnt the fan on the PSU shroud gonna steal some air from the PSU? Or the PSUs air flow will be isolated? Im very curious as to where the direction of the air will go.
Is there an app that can simulate chassis air flow?
>>
File: temps with new fans.png (22KB, 638x634px) Image search: [Google]
temps with new fans.png
22KB, 638x634px
OP Here

UPDATE: I just installed the fans (the $2 China made fans from ebay) in accordance with pic, seems like nothing happened at all. The decrease in temp lvl are very incremental. Is there something wrong? Should I invest on aftermarket CPU coolers?
>>
>>1212508
>PSUs air flow will be isolated?

Your typical PSU pulls air in the bottom, and pushes it out of the back. So yes, the PSU is literally pulling cold air from outside of the bottom of the case and pushing it out of the back isolated from the interior air.
If it were a top mounted PSU case, it would pull hot air from inside the case and push it out of the back. Its why bottom mount cases are the norm now.
>>
>>1213568
>The decrease in temp lvl are very incremental

Welcome to the world of PC cooling.
Also with ambient temps at 30-33, idle temps at 40c are acceptable

The idea behind the proper airflow is to allow your CPU and GPU cooler to properly dissipate heat to its fullest capacity.
Your airflow with the single fan was probably acceptable for your stock CPU cooler, so giving it better airflow will not make it dissipate heat better.

Now say you get a nice big CPU heatsink, there is the potential the airflow would not have been enough to actually dissipate heat properly. You could have potentially thrown it in and gotten identical temps because you are not allowing the heatsink to work to its max.
Thats where you would see a huge difference in temps when you are allowing the heatsink to work to its potential.

I think there could be some improvement in your temps by adding a decent CPU cooler, but you are never going to get it near your ambient temps like your GPU is.

I have consistent 30c CPU temps, but for context my ambient room temps never exceed 22c. If I crank up 10c ambient temps, my CPU would too
>>
>>1213568
>115C mobo temp
I assume that's gotta be your CPU voltage regulator but what the fuck. Maybe you have a bunch of wires sitting on top of it? Or your mobo is so cheap it doesn't have any heat sinks to speak of on the regulators?
>>
File: hp-pavilion-p6330f-inside-case.jpg (122KB, 550x500px) Image search: [Google]
hp-pavilion-p6330f-inside-case.jpg
122KB, 550x500px
my power supply is on top
> cold air in the fronttop and side(above HDD)
> bottomright case and gpu has 2 exhaust
i should flip the psu fan so it exhausts instead on blowing into my case :(
>>
>>1213608
I've got a pretty decent entry level board. (I think.)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132735

I am aware of cable management. I put my wires at the back of the case.

I think maybe HW Monitor is having problems taking the right readings. It's only 28-ish in the bios. I'll look further into this later.

And no, I don't have an AVR. I only use a surge protector.
>>
>>1213600
So basically, aftermarket cpu cooler + proper airflow = better temps.

I'm thinking of buying Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. What are your thoughts about it? I read in some forum it reduces temperatures up to 20c. And it has pretty good reviews for its price.

I'm kinda ocd about these temps because this is my first pc build.
>>
>>1213797
I just finished my server build and I tested a few fan configs, cheap AIO water cooling and lastly settled on the 212. The 212 was 10 degrees colder than both stock and (cheap)water cooling. Go for it for sure. I have no GPU and 2 fans on top so I faced my 212 upwards but you should point it jn the direction of primary airflow.
>>
>>1212287
you actually want a bit of chaos inside your pc's airflow so that dust does not collect on corners of things but for the most part more is not necessarily better, and more heatsinks are more useful than more fans

also if dust is your main worry rather than heat, just have good computer hygeine. keep it away from sources of filth, and just open her up every so often and vaccuum or compressed-air blast it out
>>
File: dishonored 2 with hyper 212.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
dishonored 2 with hyper 212.png
1MB, 1280x720px
OP Here!

Update: It works!! I just installed CM Hyper 212 and it reduced my temps at about 15 - 20 C down.
Thanks.
>>
>>1212287
Your best bet would be to invest in an aftermarket cooler maybe evo 212 or aio liquid cooler also change the chink fans with something that works also normally after the first 3 case fans the temp decrease is minor in a mid atx case. Lastly get a fan for exhaust the best setup I've come up with after numerous test is 2 intakes (in front) and 1exhaust (behind heatsink) it seems to work the best for my rig.
>>
>>1215229
I just installed hyper 212 led!. >>1215198

I also have 2 exhausts and 2 intake fans.
Also I removed the 2 fans at the PSU shroud coz it's getting a bit noisy.
45C cpu temp on a 30C room temp. So far so good.
>>
>>1212287
Why not go water cooled?
>>
>>1216739
Water cooling seems a bit op for my g4560. And Im not into overclocking. Also, I'm a bit paranoid on water getting into my system.
Also, budget issues.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.