[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would you remove the bomber?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

File: DEsPq5Y.jpg (2MB, 4912x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DEsPq5Y.jpg
2MB, 4912x3264px
Hello DIY

Located at Eilieson AFB alaska just south of Fairbanks this bomber has been siting in a lake since 1955 and has an amazing history and rightfully deserves a restoration and probably even belongs in a museum but its stuck in a lake unfortunately.

Short in simple this plane discovered that the soviets had the bomb in 1949 and it pretty much is an artifact from the very start of the cold war

Ive heard past attempts to move the bomber have failed the wheels seem to be stuck in the mud any thoughts?

I was thinking either disassemble the bomber in the lake with waterproof tools and then just take it our piece by piece or just dig out the wheels and get a crawler/bulldozer to pull the thing out. Ive also heard ideas of draining the lake but I also heard that doing so would cost a shit ton in environmental fees.

What do DIY?
>>
Put air bags under it then inflate. Sit back and wait till it pulls out of the mud.
>>
Ever played New Vegas, anon?
>>
>>1212196
You're not going to get it out without draining the lake it's in and digging it out. You can't dig it out with the water still there, it will just sink lower and if you try to pull it out as is, you'll just tear it apart.

>disassemble it
Pretty much impossible, all the fasteners that aren't thousands of rivets have rusted to shit and will round off if a socket so much as enters its zipcode.
>>
>>1212202
OP here this is most likely the unfortunate truth

Any idea how to drain the lake cheaply? I heard somewhere for a quote but that was like 200K

figure if someone got a couple pumps and some PVC they could just drain the lake into one of the nearby lakes
Pic related
>>
>>1212217
I know there have been a couple of congressional attempts to remove the plane but the results are always the same
>cant/dont want to spend Citizens tax dollars on some dumb corroded plane

was also thinking what if they dam up the area around the plane and just drain that, without having to drain the entire lake?
>>
>>1212196
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE9j-W_8USw
>>
>>1212221
RIP kriege
>>
>>1212221
I wish I could get Kee Bird, problem is it woud cost some $700K just to get her remains, and then comes the part where you would have to convince Boeing to help fix her which restoration wise would be in the millions

They could probably do it they have all the tooling from doc why not give it a go?
>>
>>1212196
who parked it there?
>>
>>1212217
>figure if someone got a couple pumps and some PVC they could just drain the lake into one of the nearby lakes
>what is the surrounding water table
It'll just seep back in.
>>
Maybe I'm alone here but I think a plane in a lake is cooler than a plane not in a lake.
>>
>>1212196
your plane have a name?
>>
>>1212217
maybe a septic company could pump it into another lake, but yeah probably seep back in unless you do it while ground is cold in winter?
>>
>>1212318
I think you truly underestimate just how cold it gets in the winter there. Had a relative in the service stationed there. Maybe OP is braver than me, but from what I've heard, trying that in winter is a no.
>>
>>1212322
from south east so maybe a bit disillusioned but i figure maybe do it right as the seasons change
>>
>>1212322
Thats Alaska for you anon. its cold up north

I honestly think this plane belongs in the lake its earned a reputation and has become kind of a local landmark
>>
>>1212201
>this
>>
>>1212221
The 1st and only time I wanted to smash my tv to smithereens when I saw how that ended.
>>
The crash into the lake is just as much part of its history as all the other things you listed. Let it be preserved in its final resting place, add a plaque to the nearby road and add a turnoff for it.

Alaska has so few reasons to visit besides oil and gorgeous untouched landscapes, let them have this. And if it's really on an air base property, they can run a weekly tour on top of a once a week history tour if they want to share with the public.
>>
clear a path, tow it out with like 10 ford f250 owner volunteers.
>>
>>1212392
never crashed, was put in the lake on purpose, but the lake grew to big around it
>>1212386
This times a million the rage and fire still burns in my heart anon
>>
>>1212196
So I Googled this shit. Before they pushed it into to lake to use as a water emergency trainer, she was a hanger queen that got cannibalized for parts? So even if you can get it out, it's going to be missing a shit ton of parts? Sorry OP. She may deserve a restoration, she's supposedly the last remaining WB-29, but unless you're independently wealthy it's not going to happen. It might even be cheaper to build a new one than to restore this one.
>>
>>1212301
I'm in agreement, anon.

It'd cost fucking millions to get it out. Leave it there, it's a nice point of interest.
>>
>>1212200
/thread
>>
File: boomers.jpg (97KB, 678x542px) Image search: [Google]
boomers.jpg
97KB, 678x542px
>>1212200
I wonder who could be behind this post....
>>
>>1212200
Double dubs for truth. Grab a few of pic related, then use the vehicles you have pumping exhaust into the bag jacks to tow the floating plane onto a lowboy flatbed.
>>
>>1212221
How to break a man
>>
>>1212200
Thos anon. But underwater since 55?

Cheaper to build a new one.
>>
File: dagobah-X-wing.jpg (31KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
dagobah-X-wing.jpg
31KB, 400x300px
>>1212196
>>
>>1212492
Criminally underrated
>>
>>1212498
>Cheaper to build a new one.

...b-but muh history...
>>
>>1212633
Use it to bomb the Norks and make history.
>>
Use the baloons/buoyancy method.
Just make sure to secure the most rugged joints of the plane, othrwise you'll end pulling pieces of plane out of the water.

Also, I'm not sure if it needs "restoration" I think that just a good clean with a powerwasher should be enough, and that would look pretty cool in a museum, to demonstrate the decay
>>
>>1212386
It seemed to me that these guys were trying to prove something by flying it out.

I would have pulled it out of the lake, stripped it (engines and everything heavy that could come off) and hired a Skycrane or Mi-10 to haul it to a nice warm hangar for rebuild.
>>
>>1212196
Use the force.
>>
>>1212196
Leave it alone. Even if you extracted it there's nothing left to restore.

It's a fools game.
>>
Look for the little green man that lives in a hut nearby, he'll teach you how.
>>
>>1212196

Person with expertise in object recovery here,
*(However this is usually with boats in salt water)

Pretty much the most basic way to get this out of there would be an entire crew of *(And I'm lowballing here) thirty to forty people.

Team would have to include;
- Welders
- Mechanics
- Environmental Testers
- Divers
- Crane Operator
- Engineers
- Welders

It's cheaper to just get one custom made and/or purchase from other collectors who have thes sort of things sitting around. *(Russia would be a good place to start)
>>
>>1213437
I guarantee there are way more than thirty to forty people who are doing nothing most of the day at Eilieson AFB.
>>
>>1212196
So what's it like on Dagobah?
>>
>>1213620
>I guarantee there are way more than thirty to forty people who are doing nothing most of the day at Eilieson AFB.

Nah, only two or three are actually doing nothing. All the rest are supervising or assisting those two or three so while nothing is actually being done in a real world sense, the military operates under a different reality.
>>
>>1213714
You made my sides hurt.
>>
There are books and websites about recovering and restoring old warbirds. Many are in far worse shape than this, and far more difficult to remove.
First, get lots of money. Either be rich, or convince rich guy to back you.

Divers will go down and examine and evaluate wreck.

These planes are built out of sub-assemblies. Get a manual. Learn how to remove subassemblies. Pick them up with a crane, or float them to the shore.

Load on truck, or rent helicopter.

Rent or own large building.

Assemble team of mechanics and engineers. See what can be saved, and what has to be replaced. Sometimes another wreck can be a donor plane, or you can have parts built ($$$).

After you've spent a boatload of money, maybe you can sell it to a collector or museum.
>>
>>1212196
There's nothing to restore, it's literally an empty shell.
>>
It's junk, but high pressure water hoses could free it from the suction of the mud and if the crash recovery crane at the base is available that could remove sections.

OP can't afford it and the entire crew would need to be pretty skilled and well equipped.

When it was stripped as a trainer it was VERY stripped. Missing right wing section means the left is similar for towing convenience. It's not a WB-29, it's just junk. They even removed the transparencies...

To restore, find and remove builders tag if not destroyed. Build new aircraft from drawings and existing parts. Reattach restored builders tag.
>>
No one wants to restore this shit are you high
>>
>get come-along
>attach to tree and plane
>start cranking
>>
>>1212196
isn't tampering with shit like this illegal? The plane is historical patrimony.. And It'll rot faster once you take it out if you don't care for it
>>
>>1214726
Depends. It's on an AFB, which means it's still Air Force property. With their permission, it can be recovered. Planes have been recovered from bases in the past. If it is overseas, it's usually the property of the country's government, and permits, bribes and such are required.
It is not illegal.
If properly recovered, it is not left to rot, it is carefully restored and displayed, or more rarely, returned to flight status.

B-29s aren't particulary rare, though only ywo are flying. Some are very rare, especially Japanese models.
Even if the plane isn't restored, it can donate parts to better examples.
>>
>>1214744
yeah I know. Here where I live people take historical things like that seriously so you can't just go and "wow, lets dig this shit". And my mom is a historian with an archeologist background, from what I learned from her the decay "really" starts when you unearth the piece.
>>
File: p-61.jpg (589KB, 900x595px) Image search: [Google]
p-61.jpg
589KB, 900x595px
pic related crashed during WW2 in Indonesia, and was recovered and is being restored.
>>
>>1214748
It's a P-61 Black Widow, a night fighter. There are only 4 examples left.
Here is the resoration website:
http://www.maam.org/p61/p61_rest.htm
>>
>>1214678
Like you.
>>
>>1212217
So your talking about destroying an entire eco system so you can pat yourself on the back and say "good job"?
I understand it has deep roots in american history, but still...
>>
>>1214744

Once military equipment leaves the country and is abandoned or sold to another government, you can't bring it back without approval from congress.

The Museum of American Armor ran into this when trying to bring back a sherman hull and turret from germany and their M48A5 that was donated from Isreal's surplus.
>>
>>1214846
Nigga the lake already has a plane in it. The ecology was "destroyed" years ago and guess what, Alaska shrugged it off. Draining a fucking mudhole in bumfuck nowhere isn't going to matter one goddamned little bit. Give it a year and the hole would fill back up and the planet wouldn't give a fuck.
>>
>>1212200
fpbp
>>
>>1212217
>Any idea how to drain the lake cheaply? I heard somewhere for a quote but that was like 200K
that is cheap
>>
>>1212301
This. Just leave it.
>>
>>1212201
Exactly what I had been thinking
>>
>>1214748
That's a black widow. There's an active restoration of one near where I live. It's a beautiful plane. And I believe they are restoring it to flightworthy condition. It's at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum located in Reading PA. Y'all should check it out sometime they have awesome ww2 reenactment encampments and airships there during the summer. I used to go there a lot with my dad.
>>
>>1212201
Lol seriously
/thread
>>
>>1214767
so edgy XD
>>
I'm lucky, I have the Canadian Heritage Warplane museum about a 45 minute drive from my house.

We have one of two Lancaster bombers that still fly. you can rent it out for a flight for around 400$ a person
>>
>>1212196
drain the lake, build the museum around the plane
>>
>>1215785
>Lol seriously
>/thread

Well not if I've never played it.

And as for those morons who burned up the B-29. How the fuck can you be competent enough to get that thing running but leave a container of fuel so that it can spill onto an ignition source? You could anticipate disaster from the beginning when the wheels were sinking into the ground and also when the flaps failed; it's like "hey, we're not going to stop until something dies or we succeed". Lucky for them it was the plane.

My guess is that they were too exhausted to think clearly, and they were running out of money and time so they rushed the testing and burned their shit to the ground.
>>
>>1214846
>So your talking about destroying an entire eco system

Yes. Do you know how many classic cars were destroyed for 'the environment'? It's time for some payback.
>>
>>1217732
>Do you know how many classic cars were destroyed for 'the environment'?
No, how many?
>>
>>1212196
Train on a foreign planet with some high little green guy until you can use the force to get it out
>>
>>1217855
not enough
>>
File: 2012-03-09-distant-planet[1].png (73KB, 945x505px) Image search: [Google]
2012-03-09-distant-planet[1].png
73KB, 945x505px
>>1217937
>foreign planet
>>
>>1212392
>fishing
>mining
>highest mountain in north america
>land of the midnight sun
>land of the noonday dark
>auroa borealis
>iditarod

sure, no other reasons to visit.
>>
>>1212196
Leave it there.
>>
At this point, given that Black Widow that's being restored, plus all the other stories etc., just go into the lake, cut off some part of the plane, ANY part, take it to a hanger and start fitting pieces of a B-29 around it. It'll probably be cheaper than anything involving taking the whole thing out of the lake, the results will be as good, and the AFB will still have their plane in a lake.
>>
File: p-61 2.png (272KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
p-61 2.png
272KB, 500x375px
>>1215133
That's the same plane. The museum was started specifically for this project, as it looked better having an "official" organization for Indonesian permits.
These guys are legit, though. It cost them about $250,000 and several years just to recover the plane and ship it to the US. When finished, as they are restoring it to flying condition, it will be worth a couple of million.

pic related is the plane nearly finished.
>>
>>1212221

>worked the chief engineer to death and wouldn't let him get medical assistance because you want the money
>finally burn the thing down out of retardedness

Good thing it burned when taxiing because no way it would have made it off that "runway". That guy should have been shot.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.