[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a fightstick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 41EYrgexcHL._SX355_.jpg (18KB, 355x221px) Image search: [Google]
41EYrgexcHL._SX355_.jpg
18KB, 355x221px
Hello /diy/, I was wonder if any of you gents have ever built one of these? I wanted to build one myself but have no idea where to start price range wise or parts wise.
>>
>>1211621
Some friendly suggestions for posting:
- First ask Google, then ask /diy/. Your question will probably be better received if you do so.
- List available resources (tools, materials, budget, time, etc.)
>>
>>1211628
I should've been a bit more specific. my apologies. While looking up google it does look easy to build but I'm more so stuck on a reliable place to get parts. A legit question I forgot to ask also, was whether a diy fightstick is as good as a 200$ fightstick.
Tool wise I'm good to go I'm sure, my budget is around 100$ or so. I don't want to dish out 200$ for a store bought fight stick.
>>
>>1211640
I mean, you're just building a custom case and doing your own simple wiring, the functional parts (buttons/switches/control board) are all premade.

That said, it's really better if you buy a premade one in the $100-$150 range, ideally used from someone who doesn't like SF5 and wants out. While it's nominally cheaper to assemble your own, if you're not already accomplished at cabinetry it will be a lot of work and quite possibly worse (irritating seams, poorly-placed or loose buttons and stick, etc.)
And while a single full set of stick/buttons/board are doable on the cheap, there's all sorts of actuation force/shape/gate type questions that if you go in blind may well put you further from your preferences than a premade, which tend to use fairly middle-of-the-road parts.

The good news is that stick in that price range can typically be customized with the new guts you want, once you know what they are.
>>
>>1211621

Make a wooden box. Print out a panel template, drill holes.

The electronic stuff either hack up a controller, buy a premade board ( lots out there for multi console) buy the buttons and stick you want.

You can get a kit from AliExpress for <$20 that has buttons joystick and control board. parts aren't going to be great but if you just wanna play some mame you probably don't care that much

There are thousands of resources for how to do this, but it is literally just making a box and drilling holes. A monkey can do the electronics aspect.

>>1211640

Well arcade grade buttons and sticks are kinda expensive. Ps4 control boards are expensive, but if you just want to play on PC that's cheap.

Sounds like you just want something okay. A kit from China will work fine and you can upgrade to sanwa buttons or whatever later on.
>>
>>1211669
Yeah I was going to use it for PC. Are sanwa parts pricey?
>>
>>1211678
Buttons are cheap, joysticks aren't too bad either. It'll last you a long time compared to what you get on aliexpress.
>>
File: yONJtkz.jpg (785KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
yONJtkz.jpg
785KB, 4032x3024px
A buddy and I built some for the Neo Geo, another for Master System, and currently working on prototyping a Turbografx encoder. The case is the tough part. We built ours with the use of a lasercutter. Pic related.

If it's just a personal stick I'd honestly just get some cheap one and modify the box to fit your buttons/stick. Try to cover up the mounting holes for the stick, because exposed screws suck. We use console5 and focusattack to purchase the components, and have been using Seimitsu parts since mounting the stick was significantly easier.
>>
>>1211621
Nope bit google MAME cabinets and the like. Should be tones of info
>>
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (212KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
212KB, 1280x720px
>>1211621
Making the steel for the injection molding machine was the hardest part.

Refining the resin for the plastic was easier than expected.

Springs are a bitch.
>>
File: IMAG0524.jpg (4MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0524.jpg
4MB, 3000x4000px
>>1211621
I had a PSP case laying about so I grabbed a drill, made some holes and stuffed it with Sanwa parts and a $10 encoder. The hardest part of the process is finding a suitable box. I'm down for answering more questions though
>>
www.slagcoin.com my man

www.paradisearcadeshop.com and www.focusattack.com for all your parts
>>
You're probably not going to build a fightstick as good as a commercial fightstick for $100. Sanwa parts + brook PCB + connectors and USB interface will probably cost you $100 shipped. Build a fightstick if you want to customize it and you want a fun project, not to save money. Hori RAP is $100 if you find it on sale.
>>
File: a4ZNVqZ_700b.jpg (30KB, 499x498px) Image search: [Google]
a4ZNVqZ_700b.jpg
30KB, 499x498px
>>1212594
>>
>>1213581

Of course you will with the exception of the box.

Parts will be the same quality, most likely cheaper. PCB will be better.

I just bought a brookpcb and a fanta stick because the te2 was fucking stupid and didn't include the touchpad, which shouldn't be a big deal but almost every fighting game uses the touchpad input for stuff like training mode (t7 is a huge pain in the ass)

Te2 was almost $300 at the time. Bought for convenience but a brookpcb is $40, 6 buttons would be around $30 ($5 each) other two buttons and start and select you can use cheaper stuff from China or ebay. So maybe $40 for buttons if you don't shop around at all.

$20 for the stick

$40 (PCB) ,$40(buttons),$20(stick)==$100

USB connector can be salvaged ($1 or less from ebay but you could cut up a old usb cable while you wait for China)

The box will be around $10 in wood. If you get creative that can be free. Way back before madkatz I built my stick box from old Ikea bookshelf shelfs I found.

If you're really lazy or don't have the ability /tools you can get a laser cut panel from acrylic. The rest of the box can be a plastic box. You can also buy the metal plate for te sticks but that's sorta expensive. Other way is buy a really cheap stick and use it for the box. (Check used stores and Amazon for Chinese garbage sticks - just make sure it's big enough and that the buttons aren't membrain pcb shit like hori used to do for their budget line.

All said and done you're at $150 tops for arcade quality parts. That's pretty damn good. Anything at that price range is going to be crapper parts and not arcade quality - and if that's fine you can get 2 sticks and 20 buttons for $20 from AliExpress.

I like the te2 because it's small and comfortable, but it was really fucking expensive and I'm dropping $40 on a Brook because they fucked up and didn't include a touchpad.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.