[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>ITT tools you wish you never bought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 259
Thread images: 69

File: 14528430487512948.jpg (437KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
14528430487512948.jpg
437KB, 1600x1067px
>ITT
tools you wish you never bought
>>
>>1211547
Bench grinder. A belt sander is infinitely more versatile, doesn't need to be trued up to stay flat and square, and doesn't put a concave surface on everything.
>>
>>1211551
They're useful for finish work if you put a buffing wheel on one side and a wire brush on the other. Great for cleaning up burrs and such if you're machining. I've never used the grinding wheels that came with the thing.

My biggest tool regrets would probably be 90% of the things I've purchased at Harbor Freight.
>>
>>1211580
Oh yeah, and a Ryobi reciprocating saw that broke on first use. I also just fucking hate neon green tools.

I'm looking at you too, Rockwell.
>>
>>1211551
a big linisher is amazing and versatile in being about to change belts so easily however Bench grinders are fantastic for a heap of stuff that isn't practical on a linisher. you'll have a much better time if you learn to dress your wheel, invest in the appropriate wheel for the material you're grinding. the Bond is really important soft wheels will cut great but need frequent dressing and hard wheels cut like shit and glaze over like a bitch.
>>
Central dust collector. So much work running pipes to everything and still have to sweep constantly.
>>
>>1211585
>Bench grinders are fantastic for a heap of stuff that isn't practical on a linisher.
Like what?
>>
>>1211620
grinding tooling for the lathe/shaper/mill I occasionally rough out a large radius or clearance on a belt but always finish on the grinder.
>>
>>1211622
I've had no problems sharpening lathe bits on the belt sander. If anything, the slightly convex surface that results can take more abuse than the hollow grind typical of a bench grinder, since there's more meat behind the cutting edge.
>>
>>1211622
whew, looks like you might not be square left/right on the head there, that groove looks deeper on the left.

makin' an aluminum sledge-hammer?
>>
File: IMG_20170718_202108428-L.jpg (84KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170718_202108428-L.jpg
84KB, 799x450px
>>1211547
>wish you never bought
Battery-powered dremel. It's a gutless pile of shit.
Might get one or two cuts out of it before it either overheats or the battery dies.
>Pic fucking related.
Ended up buying a real plug-in one. I should sell that battery one.

Another regret is cheaping out on snap-ring pliers. Either the harbor-freight or cheap auto-parts-store ones. They've got "replaceable" tips for inside- or outside-snap rings. Neither one stays in place. Fingers are shit, bend all over the place.
Put up with it for too many years before I bought a decent set. Pretty sure I threw the cheap ones away out of sheer anger.
>>
File: 71FzXjY-fyL._SL1500_[1].jpg (97KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
71FzXjY-fyL._SL1500_[1].jpg
97KB, 1500x1125px
>>1211673
somewhat related, you really want to regret something? - get one of these tiny evil bastards - read a warning somewhere they were loud, but Holy Christ.. palm size, but sounds like two scrapyards fighting, comfortably drown out a roomfull of Hiltis running full-tilt - literally unusable in your average domestic (and probably most industrial) settings, complete POS.
>>
>>1211727
are you trying to use it in your living room?
>>
>>1211673
>Battery-powered dremel. It's a gutless pile of shit.

I bought one with the sole purpose of grinding my dogs nails down.
I was paying the pet store to do it, after I realized they literally were using a battery powered dremel, I went out and bought one myself.

I would never use it on anything else though, its pretty weak.
>>
>>1211656
its intentional, the head is trammed but the part was tilted at an angle to create two arcs. the setup is just so it sits in the same position when its flipped.

>>1211638
hahaha you absolute heretic, to be fair as long as you have the correct clearances and rake angles it'll always cut but the grinding of finishing tools is really finicky
>>
>>1211732
you cant use it fucking anywhere, not without PE n shit. And def. not if your living room has neighbors within a few mile radius.
>>
>>1211673
>buying battery-powered anything

Brother had the bright idea of buying the entire house Black+Decker battery powered tools because he "liked the convenience" of a battery and was too much of a pussy to learn how to use gas powered yard tools.

First tool was a weedwhacker. Didn't even last 15 minutes and you'd have to clear the motor head on it since it would get gunked up like mad.

Second tool was a drill. For some reason the retards who made it thought that it was a good idea to have a screw-off sleeve for a chuck instead of a normal one. Ended up breaking while I was drilling through drywall. Harvested the batteries for the weedwhacker so I could swap one out, use it for another 15 minutes, then wait an hour for the other battery to recharge.

Third, and finally, was the leaf blower. I have never in my life encountered such an anemic motor in any tool until Black+Decker. Could hardly clear out a suburban front yard within its battery life, as long as you turned it off to prevent it from overheating despite the intake being designed to cool the motor during use.

I ended up trashing them all, bought a corded drill and gas powered leaf blower+weedwhacker. Never had a single problem since.
>>
File: slot2.jpg (75KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
slot2.jpg
75KB, 620x465px
>>1211547
The only tool I can actually think of that I regret was buying a cheap Table Saw
Skil 3410.

I bought it because it has an extendable table which all of the other $100-200 cheap saws didnt.
It served its purpose and I liked it initially

Later down the line when I said "lets get deeper into woodworking, I already have the saw" is where things got bad.
Just every single thing about it is inaccurate. The flatness of the table and insert, the trunnion system moves back and forth from a bent rod, the arbor has runout which adds blade deflection, the fence is extremely frail and cant hold tight.I figured these all out while trying for 3 weeks every night trying everything I can to square stuff up. The aluminum top is actually bent on both sides of the insert, wear from use so itll physically never be flat. You square the blade to one side of the table, itll be off on the other side.

Aside from the accuracy issues, the miter slots are not standard size or depth and they have fucking notches in them. Its loud as a jet plane, it vibrates hard as shit. The worst thing of all the finish on the top. Its rough and wood doesnt actually slide on it well at all. You have to FORCE you wood across it which is a huge safety problem. Especially when you have your blade binding because you cant square it well.

I bought a Diablo blade thinking that I had a bad blade because I had to sort of force the wood. No, the Diablo blade was binding up badly too. Thank god I had the riving knife on it, I had no clue what I was doing but im sure it saved me from many kickbacks. I was burning the edge of every piece of wood I cut.

Im sure every other $100 table saw special is just as bad.
When I finally got a decent table saw, I quickly started to realize how bad that one is.

You can kind of see the hammered paint finish that causes friction and the really bad slots.
>>
>>1211745
I paid $50 for an old Craftsman with a "1 HP" motor on CL. No plastic on it anywhere. Cast iron top, cast iron extensions, runs like a top, very little vibration. Weighs about as much as a Volkswagon Beetle yet is somehow the 'portable' saw they sold back in the day. The fence is so-so but everything else is great. The motor claims 1 HP but it is a lot more powerful than any other 1 HP motor I have ever used. Quiet too. Cuts very well but can only handle a 10-inch blade.
>>
>>1211750
Thats what I did, I bought an older craftsman cast iron top on craigslist for $75
There are a ton of them for sale, absolutely shits all over the skil saw in every single way.

I hate craigslist, but I hated my table saw more and wasnt about to spend 500+ dollars at a hardware store for one.
>>
>>1211736
I use aircraft shears. They work better than anything else I've tried and not as stressful as the dremel.
>>
>>1211771
>not as stressful as the dremel.

Eh, my cheap 20 battery powered dremel has almost no noise at all on the low setting and it eats the nails really quickly. There is no stress or danger, the battery dremels are not like real dremels
>>
>>1211740
>the entire house Black+Decker

this. anything black and decker ever. When they bought dewalt I figured they'd ruin it too, but not yet.

My favorite B&D story: Hot glue gun. The glue stick will eventually jam a bit if you do enough gluing. Something snaps and the trigger is broken. I open it up and part of the trigger mechanism was this tiny piece of sphaghetti guaranteed to snap if it ever jammed.

So I go buy the same exact thing except another brand. First thing I do is open it up. Trigger mechanism cannot be broken unless you are the Hulk.
>>
Anything cordless that isnt a drill or impact driver. Fuck batteries.
>>
>>1211547
I bought an electric hand-held planer. I'd have rather just used my old hand planer or use my larger planer. Complete waste of my money.
>>
>>1211547
My John Deer X734 4-Wheel Steer riding lawnmower/mini tractor.
In a gated SoCal community, have 3 acres of land, buy my JD, drought shows up, will shut off my water and fine my ass for watering, HOA makes it a 1k fine if your lawn gets green. A fucking waste.
>>
>>1211620
not the guy you're asking that to but
I put a buffing and mdf wheel on a grinder I wasn't using and it's great to buff/ hone stuff
at least it makes it useful again
>>
>>1211878
>a grinder I wasn't using

I'm surprised that so many in this thread don't find bench grinders useful. Maybe I need to buy one of those belt sander things to see what I'm doing wrong.

I use my bench grinder frequently. Mostly to clean up the edge after I've hack sawed something, or to change the shape of a metal part that doesn't fit quite well.
>>
I bought the master set of power probe. It's got a sweet fault finder that blinks a directional led showing where the grounding issue is. But everything I work on, there's about 1000 wires so I never get to use it. The other part is pretty much a jumper wire with a fuse.
>>
>>1211882
Theyre both useful, its just you dont really need the grinding function if you have a belt sander and a grinder. I still use my grinder, its better and quicker and wire wheels are fucking awesome for cleaning threads and other small shit.
Its apples and oranges, kinda like why have a sanding table if you can just put your belt sander in the vise. Sure its better, but its something you can live without if you have other shit.
>>
>>1211547
so if this is the worst tool thread what is the BEST tool thread?

considering buying a dewault cordless drill after working in a home depot for a while
>>
>>1211547

My plasma cutter.

Not because I don't use it or like having it, it's just that it started a long chain of bullshit and spending on related items (my air compressor was nowhere near fit to run it) that gouged my wallet deep and sucked up way more time than I would have liked.

It's mostly my fault, since the whole tale is a prime example of "stepping over dollars to save pennies", but still...really should have just dealt with the extreme shittiness of cutting sheet metal with a jigsaw for a bit longer.
>>
>>1211547
Anything by powerfist
>snapped wrenches, blew up the drill after 3 screws and all other tools were unusable out of the package or broke fast.

Meters
>I'll never buy used again or deviate from fluke (except for one meter by Mastercraft which has never failed me since I was a youngfag). Multiple instances of live components when the meter didn't even register, or it gave funky readings, or just failed to work.

Factory special tools
>triumph is the worst for this. Lots of hokey pokey shit that easily substituted with common shit like the clutch alignment tool.

Bosch conveyor special tools
>900 dollars for the rail bender. Only bends one one way. Extra 500 bux for the attachment to bend the other way.

Anything from sears craftsman after 1995
>obvious fail is obvious

King Tools
>I've had to change the starting caps and starter boxes for every fucking large tool I've ever had the displeasure of purchasing from this company. Always within 3 weeks of operation out of the box it fails electrically one way or another. After the repair its typically reliable. I've gone through a dozen already and it always the same fuckin story.

Walmart power washers for 200 bux
>impossibile to rebuild the pump now I have a 6hp engine to scrap. Shoulda blew 4 bills + and got something with rebuild kits available. Now I have to scrap the fuckin perfectly good but useless engine.

Propriatery serial cables
>I can't immagine how many thousands I would of saved with the fuckin pinout available. Hurr durr we swapped around some pins and charged you 200 bux suckah

Tools from the display truck on tour
>company gets a visit from dip shit tool fag who parks his wares mid site and does a show and tell for electrical test tools
>someone always buys something off the truck.
>always fails in a few days then it's 3 months to Rma
>>
bought this cheap shitty miter saw from horrible freight with one of those coupons, jesus christ was this thing embarrassing, the fence had a curve to it so i could never get square cuts, the slide was super stiff, the blade had NO power, and the miter angles were horribly off.
Bought it to build a shed in my backyard so i can make quick miter cuts and shorten boards with, after a few dozens cuts i just busted out my shitty wireless ryobi circ saw, and while it didn't last for shit, at least my cuts were infinitely more accurate
>>
>>1211547
>>ITT
>tools you wish you never bought
Every tool that claimed to make pet care easier. Every expensive item I've bought turns out unless compared to the cheapest option for things like: nail trimming, litter box care, and hair brushing.
>>
harbor freight nuclear reactor
>>
>>1211551
Bench grinders are fucking awesome, fuck being without one.
>>
>>1211547
All of my shit with nickle battery.

My $800 in troy built wead eater, push mower, and attachments that didbt last 1 summer
>>
File: fuckingbullshit.jpg (32KB, 325x450px) Image search: [Google]
fuckingbullshit.jpg
32KB, 325x450px
This fucking thing. Bought it for my cats and they were terrified of it. I'd shoot a treat at them and all they would do was cower in fear. Worst two bucks i ever spent.
>>
>>1211673

Anon that dremel is the single best model i have found for etching plexiglass. I have half a mind to buy it from you and try and change the battery. How much u want for it?
>>
>>1211727
Thats the same one we have in our shop, seemed just as loud as the rest of em to me.
>>
>>1211750
It's probably rated as 1 hp average output vs the more modern peak hp rating
>>
File: DeWalt-DWHT51138-hammer.jpg (19KB, 970x584px) Image search: [Google]
DeWalt-DWHT51138-hammer.jpg
19KB, 970x584px
this thing, bought it when i got into framming. Nothing was really wrong with it but i decided i didn't like the hatchet handle. at 80$ canadian, i just should have bought a cheap estwing for temporary use or ponied up enough for a stilleto.
>>
>>1211727
There's a really neat invention, called hearing protection. It's not shameful to wear hearing protection while operating power tools, unless you want hearing aids later on.
>>
>>1212418
>harbor freight nuclear reactor

waddya mean a meltdown isn't covered by the warranty?

Anyway, only tools I regret are a couple things I cheaped out on and learned valuable lesson that you should not cheap out on these things (too much):
>two cheap shitty glue guns that barely got the glue hot enough to melt. About 5 second working time before it got too hard to stick to anything.
>cheap low wattage soldering iron which is self explanatory
>>
>>1211737
noice
>>
>>1212333
>Anything from sears craftsman after 1995

Wrong. I've had my C3 cordless drill for years now and it's a freaking champ. Charges quick and the Ion battery last pretty long. Twisted my wrist a few times, that thing has some bite. Like most cordless drills it does have some trouble gripping a 1/16 bit, but for weekend warrior stuff a 5/64 works just as well.

>protip: buy the C3 model that does 465 in/lbs torque and not 250 In-lbs torque. You get what you pay for.
>>
File: C3 Drill.jpg (401KB, 1600x1508px) Image search: [Google]
C3 Drill.jpg
401KB, 1600x1508px
>>1213006
pic related
>>
>>1212616
bout tree fiddy
>>
>>1211656
Doesn't recognise Mjolnir. Pleb!
>>
>>1211580
The thing about harbor freight is that you can buy a tool there to see if you use it a lot, and if you do just buy a better quality one literally anywhere else.
>>
>>1211843
Offhand, I can think of a few handy things to have cordless...

My flashlight, work light, grinder, and cordless sawzall are all damned useful. Obviously some things are stupid to have cordless, like a router, sander, buffer, or anything you have to set up a station for, unless you're on a building site without power.

Say you're on top of a roof and you need to cut the edge off a fascia board, or trim a piece of sheathing/siding/etc. to fit... You're really going to like being able to do that without stringing 100ft of extension cord out to your generator or dragging a sheet of plywood up and down a ladder repeatedly.

Doing demo with a cordless sawzall is a goddamn revelation. Hell, that's what prompted me to buy one in the first place. I was cutting old rotten iron pipe out of one of my rental units with a corded sawzall. Standing in a puddle on a concrete floor with a live wire in my hand, while a broken pipe was dumping water on the tool, I decided that sometimes it's better to go cordless.

Rebuttal aside, my worst tool purchase ever was probably that damned oscillating saw... Sure, it's a decent trim saw, and handy when you need to make a flush cut, but can't they make it so they don't shear the teeth off the blade every time you use it?
>>
>>1212598
>tool
>>
>>1211740
Dad uses the same thing, shitty battery powered weed whacker and leaf blower. Its nice your brother had the initiative to buy your household tools, even if they weren't up to snuff
>>
>>1213008
Jeesus tits anon they were $70 new on the shelf a decade ago.
>>
>>1212985
>harbor frieght nuclear reactor.

Well, at least with the 25% off coupon it was only 6 bucks
>>
>>1212964
Anon is right kids. At 31 i have horrible tinitus from open headers on hotrods and running equipment with straight pipes.

Words cannot describe how fucking gay it is.

The thing that will drive me to insanity is being locked in a quiet room with nothing but the ringing in my ears for company
>>
>>1213292
Marpac Dohm in your bedroom
You are welcome
>>
>>1213006
Depends where you live.

Theres a reason sears is going belly up. They sold the craftsman line to just keep the lights on a few years ago, which now makes that tool obsolete.

Enjoy it while you can.
>>
File: 1490811962950.png (552KB, 758x600px) Image search: [Google]
1490811962950.png
552KB, 758x600px
>>1211745
>>
File: 1494680882323.gif (1MB, 250x183px) Image search: [Google]
1494680882323.gif
1MB, 250x183px
>>1211814
>>
File: 1495226076861.gif (2MB, 640x346px) Image search: [Google]
1495226076861.gif
2MB, 640x346px
>>1211871
>>
File: 1493733690359.gif (888KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
1493733690359.gif
888KB, 220x220px
>>1211900
lol
>>
File: 2376225656768592634.jpg (121KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2376225656768592634.jpg
121KB, 500x375px
>>1212324
you should make one
i'll be there
>>
File: 1492442541108.jpg (95KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1492442541108.jpg
95KB, 640x640px
>>1212598
>>
File: 1494232254339.gif (2MB, 303x227px) Image search: [Google]
1494232254339.gif
2MB, 303x227px
>>1213292
i will pray for you dude. i will pray.
>>
>The non brand name version.

Thread was shit and it always let go.
>>
File: imag1400.jpg (805KB, 2592x1552px) Image search: [Google]
imag1400.jpg
805KB, 2592x1552px
>>1213007
I'm still running their pre-lithium model as a backup. Whole kit - drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw ... Hand-me-down from pops.

>>1211547
Honestly a lathe. Picked up a Jet 9x20 fully decked out at a yard sale for $600. Had dreamed I could use it in so many ways, but it has just sat in the corner for 3 years. Prolly going to flip it on CL and ???
>>
>>1211740
>Shitty battery powered weed wacker

I disagree I have a 40V weed wacker and I can do my entire lawn on one charge. It's pretty good.

I used to use gas, but they'd always last 3 or 4 years before something would get gummed up and not work correctly anymore, and no amount of carb cleaner would fix it.

Battery weed wacker I just do the job and throw the shit in the shed.
>>
>>1213764
>Had dreamed I could use it in so many ways, but it has just sat in the corner for 3 years.

You must not work on mechanical things if you have never needed a tool or a part that you could make on that lathe. I have the Harbor Freight 7 x 10 which can actually handle parts that are about 3 x 6, and I have made a number of cool alignment tools or adapters. I'd love to have yours, as the length of mine quite often is the limiting factor.

I recently rebuilt an old starter motor. The commutator was fucked up so I cleaned it up, and removing and pressing the two bushings in needed 4 different tools. You can buy a rebuilt starter for about 3 x the cost of the rebuild kit, so it's not like I saved a ton of money, it's just fun to do shit.

Have you not even bought some aluminum stock just to do a bit of turning? At least play with a wood dowel. Turning metal, plastic, wood, whatever, on a lathe is fun if the bit is sharp and is the right one. Making new bits or resharpening old ones is fun too when the new one cuts metal like butter.
>>
File: Nylon-Rod_large.jpg (19KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Nylon-Rod_large.jpg
19KB, 500x500px
>>1213769
I don't do too much mechanical, and anything I do play with has replacement parts available. Really the most I've done is taken nylon rounds and turn it into suppressor baffles for my air rifle (yes, that's legal) and containers for geocaches.

I'm really not the type that focus on small details. I much rather play with big projects and slap stuff together. My miter saw and welder get much more use. It's a nice tool to have in your tool box, but lately I'd much rather have $1k than it sit in the corner and I use it 2-3x a year.
>>
>>1212333
>proprietary anything
literally deserves death penalty. This is the worst crime a person can commit to anyone
>>
File: IMG_20160604_125523.jpg (112KB, 1227x920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160604_125523.jpg
112KB, 1227x920px
>>1213779
Should have used this pic. I do like playing with the nylon, certainly cuts like butter and seems safer than working with harder materials.
>>
File: IMG_20160605_110722.jpg (132KB, 690x920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160605_110722.jpg
132KB, 690x920px
>>1213779
>>1213787
I'm getting a little off track here, but dug up these pics and by-god I'm posting them.
>>
File: IMG_20160605_155247.jpg (248KB, 690x920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160605_155247.jpg
248KB, 690x920px
>>1213779
>>1213787
>>1213789
Last one. Despite the pride in this project and good geocache reviews, just don't use the lathe too much.

Maybe I just need to find more uses for it.
>>
File: 78840.jpg (74KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
78840.jpg
74KB, 800x800px
>>
>>1213787
aren't there like smaller, cheaper and better lathes for that kind of stuff?
>>
Fell for the multitool/edc meme and carried this thing around for a year. It was most often taken out of my pocket to play with rather than use, a fidget spinner basically.
>>
>>1213808
Probably. The spindle diameter is only 3/4". Getting anything centered in the jaws and having it remain true has been a battle I've yet to win.
>>
>>1213862
Why do multitools even exist?

>20 shitty useless tools in one bulky as fuck package
>>
>>1213862
what do you use the square thing in the bottom for? Third thin from bottom up. The square thing with square patterns
>>
File: IMG_0089.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0089.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1213007
>>1213007
I've been beating on mine for the last 5 years and they just refuse to die. I'd like them to do I can go buy something with more power, but they just keep going.

Wierdest part is that I found them in a dumpster behind a sears when a crazy ex through my keys inside and ran away.
>>
>>1213889
that's a file.
>>
File: 1500733513105.jpg (281KB, 1800x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1500733513105.jpg
281KB, 1800x1600px
>>1213935
>that's a file.

It looks like a file in that medium resolution picture, but I have one and it's a cheese grater.

pic related is more clear.

The other day my wife and I had the boss and his wife over for dinner, and when it came time to grate the cheese, nobody remembered to bring one. LeatherMan saved the day, once again.
>>
>>1213862
>not a Leatherman
That's where you went wrong, anon.
>>
File: indexable end mill.gif (126KB, 840x520px) Image search: [Google]
indexable end mill.gif
126KB, 840x520px
I thought my shitty bridgeport is manly enough for this thing
>>
>>1211673
>Battery-powered dremel.
that's engraver, you dip
>>
>>1212949
>80$ for a hammer
think about killing yourself
>>
>>1213990
Why would buying a lower quality tool make you use it more?
>>
>>1214016
>hurr durr i love cheap chink garbage

Anons mistake was that he paid $80 for cheap chink garbage
>>
>>1214036
yeah but it's like a hammer. An increase in price will increase the quality of what?
>>
>>1212949
that hammer is awesome and you're a faggot for not linking it.
>>
File: stiletto.jpg (209KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
stiletto.jpg
209KB, 2000x2000px
>>1214038
With Anons DeWalt thing, I can't tell you. But with an expensive framing hammer you're generally paying for titanium, handle quality(0 flaws in the wood) and general build quality. If you're not framing on a jobsite every day I don't think there's a reason to buy one though.

Buy once, cry once. If you have to swing a hammer to make a living you might as well have something lightweight, durable and powerful. You only have one wrist, elbow and shoulder on your swinging arm, no reason to wear them out on an unwieldy piece of shit.
>>
>>1214038
>An increase in price will increase the quality of what?

Another anon here
The forging and the steel itself.
Its a matter of diminishing returns though. A full metal estwing or a wooden Vaughn for $25 are well worth the 10-15 extra dollars over a cheap chinese hammer.

I wont try to defend an $80 steel hammer though. Titanium has its place at that price, but not a steel hammer.

I have a stanley fiberglass hammer with its face caved in from moderate use. Its unacceptable
>>
File: Luuup-expanded.jpg (16KB, 474x635px) Image search: [Google]
Luuup-expanded.jpg
16KB, 474x635px
>>1212393
The luuup litter box is pretty nice for cats.
I backed the kickstarter as a gamble because it seemed like a clever design. It happily paid off.

Only drawback it that you really should pull the waste out every two days. Maybe not as often if you only have a single cat, but I have two, and those bastards will soak one specific corner into a muddy fucking mess if I wait any longer than that.
But just thinking of the convenience makes me think I should buy another.
>>
>>1214101
I really love that idea, but too expensive for me.
I would have considered it at like $30, but 50 plus shipping is a lot. And no im not going to buy two get one free to get down to the $30 price point
>>
File: 56769.jpg (74KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
56769.jpg
74KB, 800x800px
I don't know if this will be in the same vain as the rest of you guys, but I am 27 years old and only ever had 1 girlfriend. Basically, I love DIY and am pretty autistic about collecting tools of various types and even things I don't use, like signs, helmets, accessory belts etc.

After like 3 months of dating her it was her birthday. I wanted to impress her with a gift but really could only think in my own terms and interests so I bought her a CO2 fire extinguisher. I thought it might be romantic as she was a bit of an environmentalist and was worried about climate change from CO2 being trapped in the atmosphere. I wrote a card that said 'Maybe tonight we can finally use the sexual greenhouse effect to trap heat in my bed ;)' because we hadn't had loving at that point.

She pretty much broke up with me straight away and said our relationship was a mistake on her part.
I don't have the extinguisher anymore either, I set a bunch of fires on purpose to use it up.
>>
>>1214125
if i was a woman i'd have fucked you anon. i don't know if that helps you any.
if you wanted to get her something a woman would appreciate how about a fire blanket for the kitchen?
but seriously i think fire safety is important. if she doesn't understand that you are better off with her gone.
>>
File: 1471325775911.jpg (17KB, 338x395px) Image search: [Google]
1471325775911.jpg
17KB, 338x395px
>>1214125
oof
>>
>>1213764
Same lathe, different name and paint job (Enco, but all the 9x19 or 20's are the same design, and AFAIK, factory). It's pretty shit though. Spindle stalls out pretty easily (the clutch may be worn). Really still too light to be very good or rigid. Should have just saved up for a bigger machine. It came with ALL the HSS and even some random carbide though. I'll never run out of HSS in my life time.
>>
>>1212598
why cant you just throw the fucking treat?
having to load that thing would soak up any "convenience" of not having to toss it.

What kind of a lazy fat shit tosses a treat to his cat and thinks "there must be an easier way"
>>
>>1213769
>I'd love to have yours, as the length of mine quite often is the limiting factor.
thats what SHE said
>>
>>1214125
>a CO2 fire extinguisher as a birthday present to impress
I'm a little worried your tool collection is all shit you bought at walmart
>>
File: worried laughter.gif (3MB, 540x300px) Image search: [Google]
worried laughter.gif
3MB, 540x300px
>>1214125
>>
>>1211547
My wife.
>>
>>1214260
it gets you hands dirty
>>
>>1211551
Angle grinders are far more versatile than bench grinders and can also be used as very portable bench grinders by clamping in a vise. (BTW you can use angle grinder accessories like flap discs on your bench grinder if it has the same thread or you adapt non-threaded discs with suitable nuts and washers.)

I have nice Wissota and (old) US-made Milwaukee bench grinders I rarely use. My Metabo 6" and other angle grinders are used all the fucking time.
>>
>>1213292
Anon is right, kids.

Career jet maintainer who still has hearing because foamies all the time and dual earpro as needed. I wear foamies when mowing my lawn and on long motorcycle rides because wind noise.
>>
>>1213887
Because many people need a tool when they aren't at home or at their shop, or happen to be working where getting a preferred tool is inconvenient. I have ample equipment but I still wear out Leathermans. (Love and use their warranty!)
>>
>>1213995
It is. Choose speed and feed accordingly.

Muh professional machinistbro has BPs and clone knee mills and constantly uses insert cutters. Even my ancient round ram Bridgeport makes good use of them.
>>
File: 2000.jpg (72KB, 697x765px) Image search: [Google]
2000.jpg
72KB, 697x765px
Might as well ask here, will I regret buying a miter saw that can supposedly cold cut steel priced at ~$250? It's rated 2100W at 3000rpm. I mainly need it for aluminum, but I'd want to cut steel too.
>>
>>1213938
wow neat
>>
>>1214397
My uncle has one. Its cool as Shit. Makes cutting angles in square tube easy as pie.
>>
>>1212964
not wearing a condom on ears causes hearing aids?
scary as fuck
>>
>>1214038
>>1214016
most of the time you have to pay more to get a wireless tool
>>
>>1213938
you got a cheese grater on your leatherman?
that's speshul
>>
>>1214125
Dear lord have mercy.
>>
>>1214397
Any miter saw will cut steel with the right blade going at the right speed. That's the key, wrong blade going to fast or slow? Fucks up your shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I bought this square earlier for $1. I'm regretting it now because I noticed the jackass removed the patina w/ steel wool or something. I'm going to throw it away tomorrow.
>>
File: 1475786594845.jpg (12KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
1475786594845.jpg
12KB, 250x201px
>>1214802
>throwing away a nice square
>because the """patina""" is gone
what the fuck
>>
File: ew.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
ew.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1214807
Look how bad the finish is now though. Its way to shiny. Steel should be gray with scale.
>>
>>1214811
just use it for a year you mongoloid
>>
>>1214814
No, it's ruined. Its been bothering me ever since I got home with it. How am I supposed to hang that on my pegboard? It's disgusting.
>>
>>1214816
i've been baited all along
well done
>>
>>1214817
How did I give away my ruse?
>>
>>1211547
I bought a broken router at an estate sale because I thought it wasn't broken.
>>
>>1214823
>No, it's ruined.
>my pegboard
>>
File: 14233.jpg (108KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
14233.jpg
108KB, 800x800px
I know it's such a little thing but I work in hotel maintenance so I use them quite a bit, never a day goes by that I don't regret buying these, should have got a proper T or L handle set.
>>
>>1214825
I bought an old drill thinking the same thing. It would hum when I pulled the trigger but not spin. Completely frozen. I pulled it apart and found a bearing that had failed. I replaced the bearing and it spins like a top. Do you know what exactly the issue is?
>>
>>1214837
It's a plunge router and it is all jammed up. I will try taking it apart sometime but I bought 3 routers. They were all like $20.
>>
>>1211547
buyers remorse much, faggot?
>>
>>1214966
Yeah, thats the purpose of the thread
Not every tool you buy can be a winner.
>>
>>1212598
its for shooting skittles into your mouth
>>
>>1214140
M maybe.. i can drive?
>>
>>1214397
3000 rpm is WAY too high for cutting steel. You can probably get away with it for thin angle or bar, but cold saw bade speeds are very low, on order of a few tens of rpm to a few hundreds (depends on blade size).
>>
File: 2316552637426.jpg (110KB, 1320x1184px) Image search: [Google]
2316552637426.jpg
110KB, 1320x1184px
>>1214291
>>
>>1215035
I like this image.
>>
File: 1386851328376.jpg (63KB, 540x476px) Image search: [Google]
1386851328376.jpg
63KB, 540x476px
>>1215037
>>
>>1215042
Resolution is a little too high on this one but it is still very nice.
>>
I bought a framing square that's too fucking big for what I need to work on because it was the only actually-square square I could find with both inch and metric. All the hardware stores near me only had squares that were either not-square, over $40, or don't have both SAE and metric.
>>
>>1215151

90 degree angles in SAE and metric are the same for all intents and purposes unless you are doing some precise scientific work, so it's probably ok.
>>
>>1215163
I was unfortunately trying to combine my needs of 3 tools into 1 purchase due to being nowhere near a pro yet. It works but it's awkward as hell and I wish I had just ordered a smaller one online.
>>
>>1215163
>unless you are doing some precise scientific work,
Retard detected, degrees are the EXACT same in SAE and metric.
>>
>>1214802
Is that one of those spinners?
>>
>>1214397
wow. doesn't even have a clamp to hold stock?
you can keep it.
>>
>>1213057
I've got a a cordless circular saw. It's no skilsaw, but anytime I need something small, light, and not attached to 100' of extension cord to get into a shitty place (ie, trimming plywood sheathing around a window while 12' off the ground) it's a Godsend.

On topic, I bought a Craftsman impact gun with a gift card I got from a Sear's auto center I ended up in involuntarily. It's rated for 200 ft-lbs in reverse, but won't remove the lug nuts on my '97 Civic.
>>
>>1215582
The only battery powered tool worth owning are drills and reciprocating saws.

Also, for auto work, the only kind of impact tool you should buy is pneumatic.
>>
>>1213887
Having been in this situation several summers in a row, multitools are great for laborers, landscapers, and other guys who usually don't need hand tools. Right up until they do. I fixed pull cords, sawed off dead branches, trimmed weedwacker cord, and did similar bullshit odd jobs that nobody else had tools for. Best Christmas gift ever.

Also it was good to have in my dorm room when something needed screws tightened.
>>
>>1215589
The Craftsman gun was pneumatic...
>>
>>1213938
Oh, you're the retard from that other thread. Post this again, I bet it will become funny eventually.
>>
File: 1481381831648.jpg (248KB, 964x964px) Image search: [Google]
1481381831648.jpg
248KB, 964x964px
>>1216295
you're not a nice person.
>>
File: 1479108436290.png (40KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
1479108436290.png
40KB, 700x400px
>>1213764
she is of much beautiful
>>
I think the only tool I regret buying was pic related, a 185 piece toolset by Husky. The tools themselves are great, and 150 wasn't a bad price for the amount that you get. I use these tools almost everyday sometimes and they have more than paid for themselves.

The problem, though, is that it's got too much of one thing and not enough of another. The allen keys are pretty piss poor, and there's a lot of duplicate sockets (6 point and 12 point, 1/4" and 3/8" drive 4 sockets same size) it skips a few sizes here and there, and the wrenches are pretty high quality but they also skip sizes and the selection isn't much. I go to the junkyard a lot and this thing weighs a lot when you're having to drag it around all day when it's 100+ degrees out, especially when you're not even using half of the damn tools, and you gotta bring other sets because this set is missing them.

What I should have done is used that money to buy a set of wrenches, a set of sockets, a set of extensions and adapters and swivel sockets, a good driver set, just pieced everything together. Something I've been doing for a while actually. If you're only using them here and there, and all you have as far as tools is a drill or some screw drivers, then it's a fantastic set and you'll almost always have the socket/wrench you'll need for the job in this set. Otherwise you're better off buying high quality sets of different tools and building a collection, or getting a smaller mechanic's set, one that could fit in a toolbag or one of those worksite backpacks.
>>
>>1216358
forgot pic
>>
>>1216358
So make your own case and put the extra sizes of sockets and wrenches in?

You can 3D print/fabricate holders for the sockets and wrenches, find a cheap/free case which used to have cheap sockets and put your more expensive ones in there, or if you don't care that much, put thread all the sockets onto a shoelace and put the wrenches/ratchets in a generic tool roll.
>>
File: 1492014525921.jpg (64KB, 600x347px) Image search: [Google]
1492014525921.jpg
64KB, 600x347px
>>1216439
that 2nd idea is very good
>>
>>1213792

BLASPHEMY IN THIS YEAR OF OUR LORD 2017?!

It's okay for a little while, but it did make my squeaky door jam make me want to kill myself less.
>>
>>1215582
Make sure your air compressor isn't set to "light breeze"...
>>
>>1214101
Interesting box design. I wonder how it would do with silicon crystal liters. They allow the pee to flow to the bottom when a single area is over used and not stirred every other day.
>>
>>1213760
Similarly, I bought multiple packs of swivel pad locking c clamps from tractor supply for $13 to clamp fiberglass body panels together after gluing and they've saved me 100's on clamps. Wouldn't use them for actual welding clamps on metal but for the purpose...
>>
>>1217434
And just to clarify, each $13 set came with an 11", 18" and 24". One of my coworkers spent over $600 on his clamps and I got mine for about $100. For body shop work they can't be beat.
>>
>>1213760
Let it go, let it go
>>
>>1216341
;-;
>>1216295
anon why are you such a bully?
>>
>>1214397
By an evolution saw. Exactly the same as that saw except for the gearbox, 1800 rpm. Cuts steel fast but is extremely loud and you get hot chips all over
>>
File: genius oh no.jpg (155KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
genius oh no.jpg
155KB, 640x720px
>regret
Buying the cheapest option of any tool. Pic related.

If you want to buy low priced tools you can save a lot of time by simply breaking whatever you were working on and throwing your money into a bottomless pit.
>>
>>1214054
Essential Craftsman?
>>
>>1211547
Door skin fixing kit from harbor freight. As cheap as it was, I think it only made everything worse even when using a heat gun.
>>
>>1217741
Idk I think it's okay to buy the cheap version of a tool to start with - that way if you never need it again, it's not very regretful.

If it breaks later, buy the better version - you clearly need it more often.

This is what Ive come to learn after moving my tools every year. I just give away the cheap stuff I never use to prevent hoarding.
>>
File: Picture4.jpg (23KB, 627x407px) Image search: [Google]
Picture4.jpg
23KB, 627x407px
This piece of fucking shit.

It has terrible peripheral view (tunnel vision), fits poorly over my face and fucks up the bridge of my nose where my eyes meet.

Spent 20+tax on it, very much regret buying it--because my welding helmet does the job a million times better when I set it on "grind" for shade 5
>>
>>1211547
>guy is holding hot iron with his hand and not tongs
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1217876
but tool hoarding is fun
>>
TONS of name-brand tools I bought from the flea market.

Turns out the reason I got them for such relatively good prices is because mexicans around here don't buy name brand tools.

I had a garage sale one weekend and the only shit I sold was Harbor Freight junk that I charged MSRP for . Everything was used for a while before replacing it with good stuff.
>>
>>1218586
Why do you wish you never bought them?

Why do mexicans only buy harbor freight?
>>
>>1218596
Because I have bins of extra tools that I bought expecting to flip to make a couple of dollars.

Mexicans are dumb? I honestly don't know.
>>
File: 1500240100552.jpg (52KB, 635x635px) Image search: [Google]
1500240100552.jpg
52KB, 635x635px
>>1212964
>>
File: 1379598099609.gif (499KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
1379598099609.gif
499KB, 480x228px
>>1214125
holy shit this is gold
>>
>>1212327
what brand?
>>
>>1212377
shit indeed. Had one. Fence way out of alignment out of the box. Even with the fence fixed you couldn't lock it because it would go drift a few degrees as you tightened it. Someone used it but didn't fasten it down on all the corners and ended up bending the base; so it rocked a little bit when unfastened.

Traded it away and it didn't even last a week riding around. Poor casting: it snapped apart just under the slide.
>>
>>1218560
Seconding this. Bought it on sale with my welder. Ended up with a racoon burned face. Was worth it because of a hilarious look for a week.
>>
>>1211871
>can't drive his disability tractor over his tiny yard forest every week because it wastes more water than growing actual crops

I feel your pain
>>
>>1211871
>hoa
>3 acres
Wtf am I reading
>>
>>1219717
Those are not for welding.
>>
>>1212327
don't worry about it, when the aliens come you can dismember them with ease
>>
>>1211547

Phillips head screwdriver. Can't find a real-life application for one.
>>
>>1211727
The one I have is form Harbor Freight Tools (item #46099) just sounds slightly louder than an electric razor when turned on and not touching anything. When using it on an object, it isn't too much louder, but that depends on the object and if you have it in your hand or on something else. If I place an object on my desk and try to engrave it, the desk makes it super loud. Placing a towel under the object stops that problem.

You should still wear eye & hearing protecting with these (and hearing protection with your electric razor if it is loud).
>>
>>1211745
Yeah, cheap table saws are more for ripping and cutting 2x4s for framing walls than for anything else. You need to buy one that is in the $5k+ range for doing good fine work. It is amazing what a $10k sliding table saw can do day in and day out without the need for sanding (NO SANDING!) They are literally night and day when compared to what everyone else uses. However, they are useless for most people since they are intended for businesses/contractors who do cabinetry and such every day. If you need precision, for a small job once in a while, use hand tools instead. I only know this because I worked at such a shop with amazingly expensive equipment. It was like driving a high end sports car instead of a rusty station wagon.

I think my own table saw cost $25 at a yard sale. I don't even know the brand name. I only using it for rough work. I have a couple thousand in hand tools though; mostly antiques.
>>
File: 1488765747718.png (31KB, 240x243px) Image search: [Google]
1488765747718.png
31KB, 240x243px
>>1212598
>>
>>1211871
>HOA

Tell them to fuck off. I did and they fucked off since I owned the property and it wasn't in the city where they could complain and lobby to strong arm me.
>>
File: BRUTAL HAMMER TO THE HEAD.gif (388KB, 499x207px) Image search: [Google]
BRUTAL HAMMER TO THE HEAD.gif
388KB, 499x207px
>>1214125
>woman
>environmentalist

That's just virtue signally to feel good. All women want expensive gifts (even when they say they dont!!!) You really fucked up.
>>
>>1217741
>If you want to buy low priced tools you can save a lot of time by simply breaking whatever you were working on and throwing your money into a bottomless pit.

This so much.
>>
>>1219717
Those are for shit like brazing/torch/gas work, not welding with any form of arc. That is why they are correctly called "brazing goggles". Though, most shit stores have no clue and sell them as "welding goggles".
>>
>>1213862
I did a bunch of industrial events a few years back, and multi-tools were a common speaker gift. I gathered a fine collection ranging from top-shelf Leathermans to harbor freight-tier units.

Don't think I've ever used even one of them once. I'm either working on something & have a real kit handy, or I'm sitting at a desk typing & just don't need a quarter-inch pair of scissors. Maybe if I was a handyman I might carry one around for those times I'm too lazy to walk back to my truck, but otherwise I don't get it.

Dumped the whole collection off at a re-use center last weekend. Maybe they'll find good homes.
>>
>>1211547
every soldering iron ive ever bought broke within a couple days of use, and none ever got hot enough to actually melt the 1mm solder i have

>>1214125
lol put me in the screencap
>>
>>1211871
holy fuck lol america
>buy your own house
>3 fucking acres
>still have to report to your suburban overlords any time you want to do anything
>>
>>1221981
>every soldering iron ive ever bought broke within a couple days of use, and none ever got hot enough to actually melt the 1mm solder
That's because you kept buying shit irons and your solder was shit too
>>
>>1221991
everyone always tells me that you only need a $20 iron for basic big electronics work like fixing headphones or splicing wire or fitting components into a board or what-have-you

none of them were ever good enough

now i just use a dollar store pressurized lighter. it actually melts the solder. and everything else, but what are you gonna do
>>
>>1222001
Buy a chink $40 soldering station with temperature control and a few 900M type tips. The tips you use matter since you need thermal capacity as well to melt thicker solder, a very small tip isn't gonna have that (although the default one should be enough for 1mm solder). 63/37 solder melts at a lower temperature, might be that your solder is a mix with a higher melting point.
https://www.banggood.com/YIHUA-908D-220V-LED-Digital-Display-Soldering-Station-Soldering-Iron-Kit-p-1059873.html
https://www.banggood.com/110V-220V-967-Electric-Rework-Soldering-Station-Iron-LCD-Display-Desoldering-SMD-Tool-p-1163329.html
>>
>>1211581
Greenlee is neon green and their tools are great.
>>
>>1211740
Where he went wrong was buying B+D anything.

I don't know about yard tools, but cordless has become the default for most tools, even reciprocating saws. The only things I won't even consider going cordless on are hammer drill, grinder, circular saw, and chipping hammer. Although Dewalt has been killing it with their cordless tools lately. As long as you're not trying to use a tiny battery for drilling into concrete or something.
>>
>>1213792
>>1216712
>mng people not reading the instructions
its literali writen on the can
for long time use a lubricant and not a WD
>>
>>1213995

then you need to lrn2mill, friendo.
>>
>>1222290
Greenlee used to be great, not so much anymore now that the name died and was outsourced to chinese tools
>>
>>1214835
the person who invented allen-keys is an asshole and I hate him
>>
>>1222423
>The only things I won't even consider going cordless on are hammer drill, grinder, circular saw, and chipping hammer.
Those tools are too hard on batteries for long term use. I do industrial maintenance, I have all you listed except the chipping hammer.
>All wreck batteries
>All are worth every red cent.
>>
Anyone have a good recommendation for a wireless hammer?
>>
File: 1491927238337-diy.jpg (35KB, 610x406px) Image search: [Google]
1491927238337-diy.jpg
35KB, 610x406px
>>1222719
Don't bother if want to knock in more than 3 nails at a time.
>>
>>1214125
Holy shit dude... plz be under 18. This is blunder-year grade autism
>>
>>1214125
This is just too autistic not to be real.

Include me in the 'cap.
>>
Soldering iron from China.

Bloody thing wouldn't even get hot enough to burn me. Little bastard chinamen.
>>
>>1223253
>Soldering iron from China.
>Bloody thing wouldn't even get hot enough to burn me. Little bastard chinamen.

did u pluge it in
>>
>>1223258
Yessum
>>
File: 1427025657305.jpg (337KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1427025657305.jpg
337KB, 1600x1200px
>>1223262

well fuck. maybe is grabage.
>>
>>1211547

Atika bandsaw. Total piece of shit. Mitre guide didn't fit the slot. Threads on the screw to tilt the upper wheel for guidance sheared off. Never got the blade to track with more than minimal blade tension. Too pissed off with the POS to try to fix it.
>>
>>1212333

>Meters
Make sure you select AC.
>>
File: 149529197192.png (100KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
149529197192.png
100KB, 375x375px
>>1214125
>>
>>1221990
you choose to live in an HOA yuropoor, nobody forces you.
>>
>>1214125
/egg/ here.
If she doesn't love your tools she doesn't love you, praise CLANG.
>>
>>1214054
as a concrete worker, I would not spend that much on a hammer, I go through Vaughn 32oz hammers like water. Cracked about 3 heads on the hammers and shitloads of hammers. Its just a rough trade on hammers, I know a titanium would likely last significantly longer, but probably not enough to justify that price
>>
File: YC129.jpg (59KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
YC129.jpg
59KB, 600x600px
>>1223900
shitloads of handles***

I also don't think anyone makes a 32oz titanium hammer. I would consider it if I saw one, but if I got one of the lighter ones I would have to carry a 4lb sledge around in my belt as well as the hammer to be able to pound stakes in
>>
>>1211737

Why not use steel?
>>
File: images (7).jpg (6KB, 293x172px) Image search: [Google]
images (7).jpg
6KB, 293x172px
Absolutely terrible
>>
>>1211871
Get a towable sprayer for your deer... paint lawn green... tell hoa to fuck off
>>
>>1217752
top lel.
Why would a 55 year old who probably can't figure out facebook be doing on an 80's diesel Mercedes discussion forum.
>>
>>1211871
>lawnmower
>SoCal
You aren't the brightest, are you
>>
>>1214811
Im guessing the joke is its worth alot of money because its vintage, but im pretty sure they sell for like 25$
>>
File: PYR-S3550SFJ-A.jpg (222KB, 1950x1950px) Image search: [Google]
PYR-S3550SFJ-A.jpg
222KB, 1950x1950px
>>1218560
I bought a 5$ pair of brazing glasses, ive had them for 5 years and use them almost every day at work. pic related.
our dillon torch came with those, they didnt fit me at all, i think they went right into the garbage.
>>
File: IMG_1394.jpg (32KB, 248x189px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1394.jpg
32KB, 248x189px
>>1214125
>>
>>1220178
>>1221967
I knew it at my core, but I can admit I had a brain fart, combined with my cheapness lead to a stupid decision.
>>
Every cordless tool I've ever owned that wasn't Rockwell or Dewalt.
>>
>>1211745
Oh man, I thought I was the only sucker on earth that actually bought one of those turds. Holy shit, it's like they deliberately fucked this thing from the factory
>>
File: dre.jpg (8KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
dre.jpg
8KB, 420x420px
>>1211727
>buying (((Dremel))) kike talmudist shit
>ever

I fucked up too, its alright

>60 kiwi pounds for a (((Dremel))) diamond wheel that still needs a $20 attachment

Gas, gas, gas im gonna step on the gas
>>
File: 390044.gif (3MB, 595x461px) Image search: [Google]
390044.gif
3MB, 595x461px
>>1214125
>>
>>1217741
literally my dad, he keeps buying only the cheapest stuff, just to break them right away, and doesnt listen to any logic. instead tries to repair them himself, buying instruments more expensive than the broken tool itself and failing 99% of times
>>
anything Ryobi.

Craftsman power tools.

Fiberglass/plastic handle ax or maul. Sure they never break, but they are spongy when they hit and don't put the force into the wood. Buy wood handle, check the grain direction, and learn how to use it so you hit what you aim for.
>>
>>1221951
I'd say my Bosch GTS 10J is mighty fine with the Freud 48T blade - cuts pretty goddamn clean, and was like 500 dollars + another 40 for the blade.

What is shyte is the toy mitre gauge, and the slots are non-standard 16mm T shapes, so sled making is a bit of a chore.
>>
>>1217517
I went and bought the Evo 255, shit was 350 eurobucks in my country, but Screwfix was selling it for 177 shipped from the UK. It's neat, reasonably solid for a consumer tool, cuts aluminum well, which is what I wanted most.
>>
>>1224406
Aww man, the savings I've made on the post-Brexit pound:

Bosch GCM 8 SJL Mitre saw: 489 euros here, 309 euros from Axminster

Bosch GTS 10J Table saw: 900 euros here, 417 euros from Axminster

Bosch GEX 125-1 Random Orbit Sander: 160 euros here, 102 euros from Axminster

Makita DJV180Z 18V Cordless Jigsaw: 220 euros here, 149 euros from Axminster

Total: 977 from Axminster (+90 for two shipments), would have been 1769 here.
>>
>>1223919
higher melting point, harder to cast
>>
My regret is dropping $130 on a dewalt oscillating multi tool kit that rarely gets used.

>>1212324
If you want to go full tilt overkill and possibly snap a wrist on your first use, try a 20v dcd995 kit. Otherwise you should be fine with a Dcf895 kit.
>>
>>1224146
mnfg when i spend 3-4 € for local meme brand(with holder and 5 disc) - and i was like "fcking expensive"
>>
>>1224406
I like mine besides the noise and the chips, but I didn't want to spend 500 bucks on a bandsaw with a 6 inch capacity
>>
>>1224530
One of those is an impact driver, buddy. Though I am all for impact drivers.
>>
>>1224530
Consider yourself lucky...I bought a Fein oscillating tool about 15-20 years ago, and I remember paying something like $700 and tax...so useful I bought another Fein 8-10 years ago but it was only $400...
>>
File: 172_FS210LS1_1214772850[1].jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
172_FS210LS1_1214772850[1].jpg
40KB, 500x500px
>>1211745
>The only tool I can actually think of that I regret was buying a cheap Table Saw

Bruh.

BRUH.

I bought pic related a long time ago...maybe nearly a decade? Christ, I can't be that old. Anyway, my experience pretty much echoed yours perfectly. It just didn't do the one thing a table saw is supposed to be good for: Making a straight cut.

The fence would never, ever sit square on its own, and you had to fiddle with it in a half-locked position to get it square. Then, somehow, the saw still would cut a slight curve in everything no matter how well you held stock against the fence. It screamed like a banshee, and I know you could clearly hear it from the other end of the block with the garage door closed because I checked. I would later figure out this was because the blade was driven by a cheap, high-revving universal motor though a gear reduction, and the thin aluminum table wasn't helping. The built-in ruler was off, the angle gauge was off, the stamped-steel table extensions sagged slightly under their own weight. Its own fucking purpose-built miter gauge didn't fit the slot properly.

I ended up chucking everything but the steel extensions (they make good trays/shelves), the motor (although it's so fucking loud and needs such high airflow to keep cool I'm not sure I'll ever actually use it for anything), and the frame (into the scrap steel bin it goes).

It was just...goddamn, it was just SO bad. I have knowingly bought BROKEN tools that did their job better than that piece of shit. I wasn't expecting much, since I bought it specifically because it was compact and I am a poor, but I at least assumed it would be better than a circular saw bolted to the underside of a box.
>>
>>1219572

One of the Amico/Drico green things on eBay. It's not bad at all, but, long story short, I have concerns about sourcing consumables. Still, being able to zip through 18-gauge like it isn't even there is sweet as fuck, after being stuck with an angle grinder and (god help me) a jigsaw.

>>1221473

I should play through those again...that fucking eye machine freaked me out, though.
>>
>>1213862
I always have my leatherman kick on me. It comes in real handy as an electrician. I carry strippers and angle dykes, the leatherman gets things the other two can't.
>>
>>1225005
>>1211745
i consideret to buy one too was hooked by YT but the mostly used the cabinet or brand saws so i did shop research (was in like 10+ stores and looked around)
but yeah the cheapo meme brands are not wort wasting the money if you want good results
the construction is weak and mostly plastic, motor gona blow probably afther stronger use, tops are mostly sheet metal and slots are some times unusable
probably best investing more in a proper brand with good references - probably gona save up for a devalt/makita/bosh or anything good brand, or german - lol
>>
File: 1443331886650.png (236KB, 449x499px) Image search: [Google]
1443331886650.png
236KB, 449x499px
>>1214125
>>
>>1223919
>>1224424
it was never cast and its a soft head hammer for belting seized components without damaging them steel would be a bad choice for its intended purpose.
>>
>>1213289
i meant 3.50
>>
File: 1502062953246.jpg (37KB, 526x445px) Image search: [Google]
1502062953246.jpg
37KB, 526x445px
I bought these fuses a few weeks back. I can highly recommend them.
>>
>>1225611
i love this meme
>>
File: mlt100_1.jpg (30KB, 485x485px) Image search: [Google]
mlt100_1.jpg
30KB, 485x485px
>>1211547
this lump of shit, i rushed in, got it cheap used, i can see why after owning it.
>>
>>1211547
Eastwood 20" metal break. Haven't used it yet. I could, I guess, if I needed to make custom joists or forms.
>>
File: IMG_0945.jpg (40KB, 220x221px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0945.jpg
40KB, 220x221px
>>1227550
Dat fence
>>
File: img_2104.jpg (4MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
img_2104.jpg
4MB, 2448x3264px
>>1211871
Plant a drought resistant clover lawn and tell the HOA to suck a fat chode
>>
>>1224383
Ryobi is just neon green Milwaukee
>>
>>1227651
>have HOA
>neighborhood still looks like shit
lel
>>
>>1214125
Artistic work of fiction and falsehood but well done.
Thread posts: 259
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.