[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rust removal on WWII artifacts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: s-l1600 (5).jpg (293KB, 1600x1313px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (5).jpg
293KB, 1600x1313px
Hello all, I recently purchased a very rusty but still very sold WWII German M40 helmet. As you can see from the pictures it was painted white for winter warfare. The paint has turned into more of a sandy yellow as time as pasted. I want to find a way to remove the surface rust while still keeping the paint intact. Can anyone help me with this?
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (422KB, 1600x1207px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
422KB, 1600x1207px
Here are some more pictures of the item.
>>
>>1211467
>Can anyone help me with this?
Yeah, don't ruin a WWII artifact.
>>
File: s-l1600 (6).jpg (396KB, 1600x1313px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (6).jpg
396KB, 1600x1313px
>>
File: s-l1600 (9).jpg (432KB, 1600x1297px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (9).jpg
432KB, 1600x1297px
As you can see the rust is only mostly on the surface of the helmet and the steel is still very much intact.
>>
CLR and fine steel wool.
>>
>>1211469
there are museum storages full of these things in much better state. It's hardly an artifact.
>>
>>1211469
I figure if I leave it be the rust will just eventually erode the helmet until its nothing but a pile of rust. I would like to keep this helmet for my lifetime in not longer.
>>
>>1211473
Yes you are right, however it is my artifact and I would like to restore it myself.
>>
File: s-l1600 (7).jpg (376KB, 1600x1191px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (7).jpg
376KB, 1600x1191px
>>
>>1211467
Angle grinder.
>>
>>1211478
>>1211472
Wouldn't both of these things take of the paint on the helmet?
>>
File: s-l1600 (8).jpg (385KB, 1600x1368px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600 (8).jpg
385KB, 1600x1368px
>>
>>1211475
that I didn't mean to question. But you shouldn't have any bad feelings about "destroying an artifact".

As to restoration- I would go about it as any other steel rusted thing. either >>1211472
or electrolysis.
>>
>>1211489
I've been reading about people using Oxalic Acid to remove rust does that have any down sides?
>>
>>1211480
Yes.

OP if you insist on keeping the paint but not the rust (which isn't what I would want) you should try white vinegar and a cloth. Soak the helmet in white vinegar, and after about 12-24 hours take it out and wipe it down with the cloth. Repeat as necessary until all of the rust is removed. You may need to use an old toothbrush to get into any small crevices as well.
>>
Does anyone have any suggestions for sealing the helmet after rust removal? I really don't want the rust coming back.
>>
>>1211480
CLR won't harm paint neither will steel wool.
>>
>>1211506
1:1 ratio of linseed oil and paint thinner.
Apply with a paint brush.

>>1211495
It's safe as a mild acid can be.
Kills rust easily and won't harm solid paint.
>>
>>1211467
It's worth more if you leave the wear on it.
>>
>>1211467
This thing is so far ruined, I'd be surprised if there was paint under all that grime.

Worthless project, find a better candidate.
>>
>>1211522
Would it be worth more if I did not remove the rust? btw the helmet is in really good shape other than the holes and big dent. The metal itself is intact with the rust being only on the surface.
>>
>>1211544
At this point it's just a stamped piece of steel made and worn by dead germans. It's not in good condition, and it's not obvious what the damage came from, there's no story to it. The only person who knows the story of that helmet is long dead. So don't restore it, just put it on the shelf and wonder.
>>
>>1211474

Just oil it and rub it with a cloth.

The other option is there is a product Safest Rust Remover, google it. Shit is paint safe and will just attack rust.

That said, just a little oil and it won't spread.
>>
>>1211663
make up a story, fabricate some evidence, sell it to someone on /pol
>>
>>1211475
ah sentimental/ family value

As much as id like to say sandblast the fuck out of it that would probably mulch it to bits.

CLR is gonna be your freind on this one , Id think if OP wanted it would be nice to get rid of the dent and once the rust is gone re-apply some paint, try using a brush of some sort Grill brush?
>>
>>1211467
Wd-40 and steel wool.

Scrub duck out of.

Get wd-40 off.

Use same brand quality rust inhibiting primer and then your choic of paint. Let dry 30 days and clear if u want.

They also sell matte and flat color and flat clear coat. It looks shiny when u spray but no worries. It dries flat.

I did this exact method to flay black some rims on my ford ranger and they lasted over 3 uears before rock chios and rust came back. Probably last forever in doors
>>
Molasses rust removal or electrolysis. Don't bother with mechanical rust removal it's tedious and you will remove paint with it.
>>
>>1212596
>electrolysis.

This
>>
>>1211467
Best to get the thing put back into shape, sandblasted and re-painted with a recreation of what they used back in ww2.
>>
>>1211469
>artifact
those "artifacts" are sold for 10$ a piece in brand new condition on the local junk shop
>>
>>1211467
I used to collect beer cans and used oxalic acid to remove rust from old steel cans. As previous poster said, if the paint is solid it works pretty well.
>>
>>1214035
Those are Chinese repros. Real like-new M35 helmets can cost upwards of a thousand dollars based on the markings, if, again, they're even real.
>>
>>1215843
anon's look like m36, and those literally cost 10$ here
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.