[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Homeowner general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 4L_Zkrzu6Uv.jpg (200KB, 871x917px) Image search: [Google]
4L_Zkrzu6Uv.jpg
200KB, 871x917px
What projects are you working on? What's your long term goal for the house (besides selling it)?

>be me
>neighbors built fence along their property 20 years ago
>I bought my house 8 years ago
>looking at records and satellite data, their fence is 10 feet over my property line, eating up around 500 sq ft of back yard.
>do I hire a lawyer? Is it worth it? They'll fucking hate me if I make this a legal thing
>should I just let bygones be bygones?

Halp
>>
You're asking us if you should be a man and grow a pair? Of course I'm not letting a fucking neighbor take 500 sq ft of property I pay taxes on.
>>
>>1211429
Repainting, deciding on a new front door, waiting for some custom interior shutters to arrive, slowly replacing all the wire shelves with wood ones, trying to develop some more coherence in decor.

I don't actually own the house, but long term goal is to inherit it after it's upgraded mostly on someone else's dime. Well on track.
>>
>>1211481
>slowly replacing all the wire shelves with wood ones

painters will love you. closets suck. wire shelves suck. all shelves suck, but if they are wood and you can lift them up and remove them then you can paint the fucking closet.

t.shot
>>
>>1211429
Ask.. if it's not that important to you tell the city and have it re-platted. At least then you aren't paying property tax on something you down own.
There are all sorts of legal technicalities depending on where you live... Is the land worth the lawyer.
>>
>>1211429
Always hire someone to do a survey of the property to mark the boundaries. Then move the fence.
>>
>>1211488
I've seen more removable wire shelves than I have removable wood ones
>>
>>1211521
Yeah, I'm screwing mine to the wall. Removable, but it'll be kind of a pain.

I do all the painting anyway, so I'm just adding an extra step sometime down the road.
>>
>>1211429

>when your crew roastin you and you wanna kys but you got GFCI outlets
>>
>>1211429

How did this not get caught when you bought the house? This is one of the main things you pay a title company to do.
>>
>>1211586
This. OP needs to complain.
>>
>>1211429

>satellite data
there is likely a disclaimer or something saying that it's not a legal map

10ft is a bit over the line, contact the city/planning office
>>
>always lived in houses with basements
>recently bought small house that has no basement just a crawlspace
>AC was whining, cleaned out and replaced all the foundation vents, AC is now breathing much better blowing more air, no noise

Problem is, now I can smell literally everything that is going on outside.
Someone is burning leaves?
Someone mowing the grass?
Someone using a charcoal grill?
I could smell people blowing off fireworks 2 doors down.
It blows right through my vents into my house
Is there anything I can do, or do I just have to live with it?
>>
>>1211627
This guy is right, for us to assist further we need to know exactly how yo0u went about determining how you determined you're getting fucked.
>>
File: i-6DhRVCK-L-1.jpg (40KB, 338x600px) Image search: [Google]
i-6DhRVCK-L-1.jpg
40KB, 338x600px
Past week or so has been cutting out the carpet, cutting/mortaring/screwing cement board, tilesetting, and grout/sealant.

Last night I finished up the entryway - reinstalled the air register, reinstalled the threshold, removed the front door and trimmed about 1/8" off the bottom so it'd fit with the threshold on tile instead of carpet... removed the lockset/deadbolt and repainted inside/outside.

Need to shop for and order kitchen cabinets/counters.
>>
>>1211429
Helping them build a new fence would probably be cheaper than hiring a lawyer, and you could make it look nice on your side too. But 8 years ago? You what mate? Are you sure about these property lines?
>>
>>1211768
what are you gonna put in the area with the chopped out carpet
>>
>>1211429
If its on your property, you can take it down how you see fit.

Douse it in Kerosene and light it on fire.

Or just bill them for using your property.
>>
>>1211429
In some areas (at least in the US), if a fence is over the line longer than a few years - far fewer than 20 - the property becomes the neighbor's land. This would have kicked in before you even bought the house.

Talk to a lawyer, not to sue or even contact the neighbors yet, but to see if you actually have a legal leg to stand on. If you don't, get it replatted so you're not paying taxes on the other people's land.

Or try to bluff 'em into moving the fence.
>>
>>1211763
Try a HEPA filter for your AC system. It should catch all of that. If you already have one, look for leaks in the intake duct that are letting the stinks out before the air gets to the filter.
>>
>>1211789
All of the carpet's coming out and getting replaced.
>>
>>1211516
/thread
>>
>>1211834
>>>1211516
>/thread

I can understand the part about removing it from my property, but when you put it on their property you become liable for whatever they want to bitch about. I'd say just remove it from your property and man up and offer to give it to them to do with as they please.

I'd also make sure that the surveyor or a lawyer can confirm that the land is still mine; that guy up there was correct that in some places if you are wrong long enough you become right, meaning if I build a house that is partly on your land, you can't come back 50 years later and make me fix it, but you can within a certain time period.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.