[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to diy a guitar?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Guitar_samopal.jpg (14KB, 600x151px) Image search: [Google]
Guitar_samopal.jpg
14KB, 600x151px
Long story short I have no money to buy an average-quality guitar but I do have some wood and getting all the strings is not a problem
>>
>>1210882
Try google, maybe try a slide guitar would be easier
>>
>>1210882
Topkek. If you can't afford an average-quality guitar, you sure can't afford the tools and machinery you'll need to build one. Buy some cheap chink shit now and upgrade pups and electronics as you need and afford it.
>>
>>1210882

How much of "guitar" do you want to make? Like "it has some strings and a resonator" type guitar or like a genuine article?

There's no formal guide for the former, but look up the deluge of information on the net on "cigar box guitar" building for a good set of general advice. Most get away with a simpler build by making it fretless (spacing, laying in, and filing down frets is a massive pain in the ass), reducing the number of strings (essentially either making it a baritone uke or a fifths-tuned strumstick), and/or bringing down the scale length (combined with fewer strings, this obviates the need for tension-relief in the form of a truss rod, greatly simplifying both the build and the maintenence of the resulting instrument).

As for the latter, it all depends on how much spit-polish you want to put on it. It's not going to be as cheap as you think, though. "Real" guitars need a fair amount of specialty parts and tools to make that are tricky to DIY. It's almost always cheaper in the grand scheme of things to just buy a cheap, dependable beater and upgrade the parts that bother you. If you just want the satisfaction of having built it, more power to you! But cheap guitars are made in chinese factories, not home workshops.

One last thing: DIY guitar kits do exist, if you're interested - they're a little cheaper than what the equivalent guitar would be, and you still get the satisfaction of having put it together yourself through a decent amount of work. You can also leave them unlacquered if you're the sort of person that likes that fresh-from-the-shop look (I am).
>>
>>1210900
Yeah this is true, I started making guitars cuz I thought it would be fun and cheap. It ain't cheap. Check local goodwills for broken guitars and repair them, THATs cheap, if you can solder its almost always an easy electrical fix.
Another thing I used to do was buy 2 shitty broken guitars and use parts from one to make the other playable, then like the other dude said, upgrade the pickups because even if you get a better guitar you can always swap in the good pickups.
Also dont forget about Craigslist or your local alternative
>>
>>1210882
Cigar box guitar
>>
>>1210882
https://youtu.be/hnsQRpgYmaE
>>
piezo disc + string + stick
>>
I bought a secondhand Indian made Telecaster copy for 25 bucks. You can too. Then you have all the hardware and electronics. You also have a guitar for 25 bucks.
>>
>>1210882
People have made electric guitars out of shovels, it's not impossible or even hard to do really. Now if you want it acoustic that gets fair bit more tricky.
>>
Speaker from a pair of headphones is another idea for a pickup. Works both ways like a microphone (not an optimal tone choice)... Enjoy the feedback!
>>
>>1210882
Google: diddley bow
>>
>>1210882
Start with a canjo/cigar box guitar, work your way up to nicer instruments once you start to understand how materials resonate and how to manipulate them into the shape you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQXH8Ds6Sz0

something like this
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.