[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ship modeling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 11

File: EndeavourLongboat.jpg (57KB, 650x489px) Image search: [Google]
EndeavourLongboat.jpg
57KB, 650x489px
Hello, newfriend here, coming from /r9k/. Just ordered this:
http://victoryshipmodels.com/ship-model-endeavour-longboat-wooden-static-kit-artesania-latina-cook-boat.html

I've never done any ship modeling. What to expect? I'm kinda new to /diy/ in general.
Vehicle modeling thread I guess
>>
>>1210756
Monitoring, I want to get into small scale wooden models as well. I'm trying to find a realistic way to prototype furniture and a small living space.
>>
I've always have doubts about tiny woodworking, I'd assume that you can only use tight-grained wood like boxwood, right?
>>
File: IMAG0210.jpg (708KB, 2592x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0210.jpg
708KB, 2592x1952px
>>1210756

Aquire VERY sharp craft/hobby knives, a decent steerlruler your mesurements are going to need to be exact, quality PVA white or yellow (yellow is beter they say)pegs and maybe elastic bands for clamping and sewing pins come in handy too, a few grades of fine/very-fine sand/aluminium-oxide paper, you may end up maybe making a few tools of your own also etc
Also a fine-tooth hacksaw or moddler saw

Expect the instructions to tell you what to do but not how to do it.
A little woodworking knowlege will go a long was but it's not essential

Expect to passively brush up on you ship/riging terminology

Be as exact as you can with your measurements/cutting/trueness ESPECIALLY when you first start the hull, the begging of the hull are the foundation for your entire model, A wonky badly build hull = a bad build later on

Expect to read up moddling tips on forums

Expect to soak wood in water overnight, clamp the to the hull (rubber bands/pegs/pins)to keep its shape overnight as it dries and then glue and reclamp, i'm looking a those two dark bits of wood on the Hull going from bow to stern, take your time with them they can be a pain.

Don't rush, expect to do only one thing per day and put the model aside as glue dries BE PATIENT

Work on only when you feel like

Think ahead, dont affix somethign that may get in your way that you can attach easilly at a later time in the build

They're not hard if you're patient and understand what you need to do, pic related was/is my first build, still not finished, rigging etc etc, I scrapped many parts and built my own and own variations such as with redesigned cabin-hatch with little door (original was a die cast one and looked bad) the rear decoration of the boat, lots of little bits I made my own versions of, as I said the supplied ones were die-cast and had bad moldings etc, basically they just looked shit.

Still lots of rigging/sails to do

Dumping a few pics of poor camera quality
>>
File: IMAG0211.jpg (757KB, 2592x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0211.jpg
757KB, 2592x1952px
Oh yeah, expect to have to take some of your measurments from a main plan/blueprint of the ship with your ruler, my plans mostly didn't give you any so had to use transcribe them from a 1:1 plan/blueprint
>>
File: IMAG0212.jpg (734KB, 2592x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0212.jpg
734KB, 2592x1952px
>>
File: IMAG0213.jpg (938KB, 1952x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0213.jpg
938KB, 1952x2592px
>>
File: IMAG0214.jpg (883KB, 1952x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0214.jpg
883KB, 1952x2592px
The cargo-hatch looks wonky in this pic but it wasn't fixed down at that point
>>
File: IMAG0266.jpg (1MB, 1952x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0266.jpg
1MB, 1952x2592px
>>
File: IMAG0267.jpg (1MB, 2592x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0267.jpg
1MB, 2592x1952px
>>
File: IMAG0268.jpg (1MB, 2592x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0268.jpg
1MB, 2592x1952px
>>
File: IMAG0269.jpg (1MB, 2592x1952px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0269.jpg
1MB, 2592x1952px
>>
>>1210892
>I'd assume that you can only use tight-grained wood like boxwood, right?

You can use many types of wood, Lime, Beech, Walnut, Mahogany, Cherry, Oak etc etc

But yeah tight grained woods, though some have different application such as Beech which is VERY flexible, soak a 5mm strip of that in a glass of warm water and it'll literally bend into a U-shape uner it's own weight, you can get that shit to curl like a pigs tail if ned be
>>
>>1211276
what kits would you recommend?
>>
File: Corel Ranger.jpg (40KB, 423x578px) Image search: [Google]
Corel Ranger.jpg
40KB, 423x578px
>>1211679
>what kits would you recommend?

I couldn't really say 2bh that's all down to what you want in a ship and difficulty; you cant really go wrong with any of the bigger manufacturers really Amati, Caldercraft, Corel, Mantua, Mamoli etc etc

You may want to check out

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/static_display_models.html

They have their prices in £'s $'s and Euros and sometimes show a difficult rating with each boat if you click on its picture.

You may want to look at something like the Corel Ranger if you want a fully rigged ship which is involved and beginner friendly, again I don't know your tastes and how much you're willing to spend, you may even want a simplw rowboat, I dunno.
>>
>>1211719
thanks for the advice m8, looking for a ship that isn't to expensive and doesnt have a super difficult rigging, but i think i have found what i am looking for
>>
>>1211940
>>1210756

One other thing you should bear in mind with the kits is, they're not overly generous with the materials, the quality is great but they give you just enough to complete the model, keep wastage to a bare minimum.

you can allways buy more wood etc, it's not hard or expensive to do so, it's just a pain having to.

So yeah, save your scraps and offcuts and don't cut into a new piece of wood when you have an offcut/scrap that will do thinking there will be plenty of surplus at the end of the build, there won't be.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.