[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My Secret Wood -rings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: Secret-Wood-Rings-FreshersMag-13.jpg (122KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Secret-Wood-Rings-FreshersMag-13.jpg
122KB, 1024x1024px
Anybody have some good pointers regarding making these? Mostly how to get those tiny details in.

I'm guessing that the snow in the pic provided is a separate concoction of clear resin and microbeads and the aurora borealis is a separate pigmented concoction added later and somehow mixed upwards
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhu9QIn94ME

everyone's so fucking guarded about this shit when i was looking into it. theres a couple shitty english videos that everyone refers to, but i came across this russian guy's one that covers the process pretty decently even without understanding him.
>>
>>1210540
We get this thread every few weeks, and no one seems to ever figure it out. Or at least, if they do, they certainly don't post their work here.

You might even get stuck trying to splinter wood in exactly that pattern.

You probably aren't going to get much help other than the basic vacuum chamber, heat gun business.

Since it seems like you have ideas already, just try them out and post results so we can record it for posterity
>>
>>1210545
Thank god for the russians, great vid, lots of good practices for making these.
>>1210557
I'll get this documented, unless it turns out to be too profitable /s
>>
>>1210545
I thought Peter Brown's was a worthy attempt:
https://youtu.be/poNzkmOAL4k
>>
>>1210545
Thank u anon. Been looking for help myself.
>>
A few secret wood generals ago there was someone who suggested food colouring for the effects. However if you can do it with tritium that would be orders of magnitude cooler than anything currently out there
>>
File: 20170717_085512.png (764KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170717_085512.png
764KB, 1280x720px
>>1210545
Thank you for this anon. I guess i will pull the plug soon and vuild a big vaccumn chamber for pistol grips and knife handle blanks.

Does anyone know wtf pic related is? It's the finishibg step in the video. Im guessing some sort of varnish for the wood?
>>
>>1210557
Bruh. The youtube video anon posted mixed with some vacumn chamber vids and u can make anything
>>
>>1210634
Anon i dont think u should be playing with tritium outside of its case. It's technically illegal to even hace the keychains in america. I dont even want to mention why. U google that.
>>
>>1210640
Checked the vid, I can hear him say Tung Oil, some other sources recommended that as well
>>
>>1210650

My father used to carve ducks and he always used tongue oil. You have to do multiple coats but it looks great when your done.
>>
>>1210634
Food colouring spoils the resin - you may be thinking of alcohol inks, which evaporate much better and give the desired effects.

>>1210655
Tung oil, by the way. Does look very nice, yeah.
>>
>>1212048
What he said. Food coloring is a great way to ruin your batch of resin (which isn't that cheap). They make resin dyes in a variety of colors, and opaque or transparent. Getting the aurora look is gonna be trickier as it's either layering or injecting the green in the blue at the right time(so the resins starting to set and the color doesn't move) and swirling it and then removing the syringe without ruining the aesthetic. The overall process is simple, getting it to look good like in OPs with clearly differentiated colors and textures in the resin is going to be a process of trial and error
>>
>>1210578
Russian dude used actual decent pieces of wood with natural points. Looks much better than just breaking a board. Ring came out good though.
>>
File: Jimmys_Dad.jpg (16KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Jimmys_Dad.jpg
16KB, 320x240px
>>1210655
>My father used to carve ducks.
>>
>>1210545
Damn! I watched Brown's video on this long time ago but it came out looking crappy. This russian dude nailed it. DIdn't understand a word he said but the video is pretty much self-explanatory. Nice job.

Considering the amount of work and epoxy that goes into this shit, >$100 price you see on etsy and other sites seems reasonable.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170720-100605.png (163KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170720-100605.png
163KB, 720x1280px
>>1210650
Thank u anon
>>
>>1210540
Wanna see my secret wood?
>>
>>1210650
Can confirm, he says it pretty clearly.
>>
>>1210540
from looking at pic:

he split/ripped the wood on top to give those mountian looking things, used epoxy with white color color to give the mountian stuff ontop of that, then a clearish-blue epoxy, then probably turned upside down for final cast thing but didn't put ring in, put in the blue, then a smidge of green stuff (maybe powder or a liquid that falls down slowly intotheepoxy, or gets poked in) to give the aurora effect then the ring ontop hanging upside down which forms final shape
they probably just dick around with epoxy till they find something that looks cool, like adding bits of debris in till it looks like snow or ice etc. or mixing grey and clear epoxy, then swirling it a tiny bit but not fully mixing the colors

I don't make rings but I had epoxy for other work and left over used some for casting stuff after seeing them and other epoxy casting stuff.. like the first cast was clear as and perfect, second one full of bubbles. also I got debris in it on one and that made an effect similar to >>1210545
>>
Does anyone have any idea how to strenghten the wood? Other than using really hard woods or a stabilizing resin like cactus juice, minwax etc.
>>
>>1215965
you can buy wood blanks that are stabilized by forcing resin into the fibers under vacuum treatment. Used for knife handles and stuff.
>>
>>1210545
>>1210576
>>1212238
>>1215667
The hardest part is getting the wood to look like that. I'm almost certain he broke it, but how? I can't imagine he found wood that's that splintery just laying around.
>>
>>1217362
maybe drilled a series of small holes and broke/tore it out with a pliers
>>
>>1217362
What if he broke the wood in a very specific way? For example, when you break a 2x4 you usually break it on the wide 4" side, and that forms a few pretty big chunks.
What if you broke it on the thin 2" side?

Maybe you can take a hook to the splinters and gouge out those tiny plateaus
>>
>>1217394
That actually sounds like a pretty good idea.
>>1217410
Possible, but I've yet to find that "specific way". When I tried doing this myself with various kinds of wood and a vise, the wood bent pretty far before splintering. Either he has a lot of waste wood or he has a specific way of doing it.
>>
>>1217520
>bent
Try breaking it faster, say, with a heavy hammer. You may also need to secure the top half of the piece somehow.
>>
>>1217362
he would've probably broke it, then drilled it (or done the epoxy on a flat straight piece first, then drilled) after all that was finished since it would be easier

or, if you want less splinters, break the wood then with tweezers remove some so theres less. breaking it slowly would probably make longer splinters but not even, as in it would break like a /
>>
File: haruhi salutes you.png (543KB, 477x593px) Image search: [Google]
haruhi salutes you.png
543KB, 477x593px
guys, to get that break in the wood, clamp it in a big vise on a really stable workbench and introduce it to a sledge hammer.
It's got to be the right kind of wood though with the right kind of grain.
>>
>>1217743
Yeah, I've never seen wood with the grain pattern in the OP.
>>
>>1210545
>everyone's so fucking guarded about this shit when i was looking into it.

because it's really a simple thing and the people currently doing it don't want their shekels disrupted
>>
>>1215969

Doubt stabilized wood will splinter well, you'd have to stabilize it as a final step.
>>
>>1210642
Nah, it's legal to own(plenty of watches have tritium to make the hands glow, and gun sights use it), selling is where it gets weird. I don't THINK it's even illegal to sell, it's just a bunch of licensing and nuclear regulatory bullshit that's so much beyond what is worth bothering with for keychains. It's not more useful for nuclear weapons than other more readily available stuff.
>>
>>1217534
>>1217743
>>1217969
Hey guys, I don't want to see a headline along the lines of "dumbass found dead in workshop with hammer embedded in skull" so I'd just like to warn you - wood can be very springy. EXTREMELY so. Just hitting it with a hammer may cause it to bounce back at you or something else around you, so please be careful if you do try it this way.
>>
Would this be possible to make on the whole body of an acoustic guitar, or at least the front?
>>
>>1219099
And how much would it cost?
>>
>>1219099
the guitar would sound like shit.
>>
>>1219102
What if i make it on top of wood, would that mess the sound up?
>>
>>1219102
Would it be possible to make it so that the guitar sounds good?
>>
>>1219107
the soundboard is where a lot of the volume and depth of sound comes from, it's carefully thicknessed and shaped to vibrate in resonance with the strings. Covering it with a thick layer of resin will fuck all of that. So no.
>>
>>1219113
Oh ok thanks
>>
>>1219107

Technically PROBABLY possible, definitely not likely for anyone without a lot of experience.

Would be plenty doable for an electric, though.
>>
>>1219152
Suppose the outside where the resin adheres to is actually a façade, and the soundboard is underneath, and not (or minimally) connected to the façade.
The strings still have to connect to the sound board, that means that the façade needs to have a hole bigger than the bridge for it to fit through and avoid absorbing any vibration.
>>
>>1219222
>Suppose the outside where the resin adheres to is actually a façade
>façade

Fuck you, first off.

Second, it will still affect sound. Not only is it still there, mechanically attached to the rest of the guitar, but it also will be heavily acoustically coupled to the soundboard underneath, and form a second resonating chamber.

No idea if this would be better or worse than using it as a soundboard outright. I'm inclined to think "better", but it's definitely going to affect the sound, one way or another.
>>
>>1219232

>what is autocorrect
>>
>>1219232
Why yes, the cedilla does affect the sound. That's why it's there, you failed autist.
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (34KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
34KB, 560x560px
>>1218163
maybe I should have clarified, it should be a small and thin peice of wood, no greater than 1"x2"
>>
>>1218163
>be me
>be dumbass kid
>campfire.jpg
>grab wood
>stomp it in half
>slice hand to the bone...

Dad always says if u gonna be dumb u gotta be tough.
>>
>>1219498
You should try stomping with your feet for better results.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.