[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Copper pipe project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: TJ-Volonis-Freshome-6.jpg (46KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
TJ-Volonis-Freshome-6.jpg
46KB, 600x900px
Thinking of making something like this around my desk or a table out of copper pipes. Has anybody here done this?
>>
>>1210393
lengths are fairly cheap
all those tees and elbows add up, might be a little more than you think
>>
>>1210393
If that is half inch pipe then you are looking at about $45 in 90 degree elbow fittings alone. Another $35 in T fittings. Then you have all the lengths, which are the cheaper bit but still. Increase the price if it is larger than half an inch.

And the amount of soldering you have to do? Fuck me. That is a small house worth of soldering right there. It is going to take you half a day and probably a full canister of gas for your torch. And that is if you know how to solder well. More of you are a noob.

Then you are going to have a bunch of glass custom cut. Then add however much those brackets cost to attach it to the wall. It is not some cheap little project.
>>
>>1210393
that looks like shit plus crap
>>
>>1210460
Let's put it up on the wall and check it out for a while.
>>
File: wut.jpg (50KB, 384x492px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
50KB, 384x492px
>>1210393
>>
>>1210445
Wasn't planning on soldering maybe just pipe glue
>>
>>1210538
Does pipe glue come pre-made in tubes, or is it a powder that you have to mix yourself?
>>
>>1210460
Yeah pretty much
>>
>>1210393
Youtube how to solder copper pipe.

Buy the little butane or propane torch kit for it at the hardware store.

Buy dickton of fittings.

Buy small pipe cutter that you work around the pipe to cut. They work good.

May as well hide a gate valve and water filter in your desk and plumb some of it into the house if you really want to test your work.

Shit is expensive anon.
>>
>>1210538
no such thing as pipe glue unless youre using PVC pipe
>>
>>1210644
It isn't going to be that big I have a box of half inch piping already
>>
>>1210657
Since it doesn't need to be water tight you could just use epoxy or even superglue.
>>
>>1210542
Pipe glue comes in a can with a little puff ball on the end of the cap, used to apply the glue.
>>
Did something similar but with galvanized pipe. Like the other anon said get an idea of how many Ts and elbows you will need for what you want to do. They add up quick.
>>
You'd be better of doing this using pvc pipe and spray painting it with a copper metallic paint. Could at least grab a section of pvc and a spray can of paint and see how it looks. Would be cheaper and lighter in the long run as well.
>>
>>1210393
I would connect it to central heating, so that it's at least little bit useful.
>>
>>1210772
Sure it does. There's a cleaner that looks the same but it's often purple, too. That's for PVC, Anon. Durr.
>>
>>1211380
>There's a cleaner that looks the same but it's often purple, too.

The pvc cleaner is clear, anon. It's the pvc primer that is purple.
>>
>>1211396
Fuck, you're right. OP is still a faggot for implying he's going to use PVC glue on copper pipe.
>>
File: 1487616988548.gif (3MB, 635x348px) Image search: [Google]
1487616988548.gif
3MB, 635x348px
>>1211402
>>1211380
>>1210657
>implying OP would need anything other than sandpaper to hold it together before he bolts it to the wall
Shit I wouldn't even glue it, just fit it together as you build up. That way you can take it down after the next housing bubble bursts and move.

OP you've got my steampunk senses tingling, but fuck me that's a pricey project.
>>
File: faraday-cage.jpg (356KB, 1200x947px) Image search: [Google]
faraday-cage.jpg
356KB, 1200x947px
>>1210393
Interesting idea.

Also if i were to build something like this around my entire room, ceiling included, would it act like a faraday cage in case Russia or North Korea developed weaponizes EMP devices or the sun decides to fart in out general direction?
>>
Copper pipe is not strong, you could not put books on those shelves, if you tripped and bumped them they can bend easily
>>
>>1210393
I tried this with electrical conduit. It was a pain in the ass, the fitting were expensive and it didn't come out nearly as clean as my design plan. For the money I would have been better off at IKEA. For the time and money would have been better off buying something proper.
>>
>>1210538
Get a fucking propress tool, you numale faggot.

Just messing with you, niggerlips. But listen; aesthetically speaking, this looks cool. But the amount of work required to do something like this is NOT worth it. You have to realize that if ONE of your tees or 90s is off a bit, your whole project is fucking scrap. And 1/2 copper really isn't that strong, FYI. Even if it is L. I wouldn't put anything on it but your Amiibos or your Pop! collection. And I'm assuming you have at least one cat. Well, that cocksucker is gonna be all over that like zipperheads in a rice paddy. Good luck if you do it, but I wouldn't in a million years.

>t.plumbfag
>>
>>1211986
This only looks remotely worth it if you're already a plumber and have extra bits you can pick up and take home that nobody will miss. Even then, people fail to recall that copper oxidizes. It will probably look good for about a month if you're lucky and start turning ugly. After the shiny copper finish is gone it fails to appeal. Maybe a small piece of art and then clearcoat it? I certainly wouldn't have it part of the walls, but as a standalone piece that you could move or put on a shelf it could be passable
>>
/diy/: Killing dreams one Pinterest post at a time.
>>
>>1211747
>would it act like a faraday cage
The mesh of your cage needs to be smaller then half the wavelength of the signal you are blocking out.

As a reference, 29.9 GHz has a wavelength of 1 cm. 967 MHz has a wavelength of 31 cm (1 foot).
>>
>>1212135
>people fail to recall that copper oxidizes.
interesting.
police station near me had a copper roof for about a month before it turned green yet the pipes in my house have been there 20 odd years are still bright and shiny.
maybe helped by earthing? i don't know my chemistry ain't too hot. even then roof should be lightning protected right?
>>
>>1212143
A copper roof is going to be exposed to far more water then your pipes. Also, I'll bet your pipes aren't shiny copper more a dull brown. Lastly, you can tell if a house has humidity problems by looking at the pipes - green buildup = problem.
>>
>>1212156
fuck i don't want to think what the insides look like.
green pipes also can mean the plumber was a lazy cunt not cleaning flux off properly.
>>
File: Side Table.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
Side Table.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
Just use galvanized steel pipes. Again, its the fittings that add up fast. The four steel floor flanges on this one account for half of the cost of my materials. I even used four black steel flanges on the underside of the wood round to cut the cost back a lot. Still have to decide what color i'm staining it...

From what I understand, you can nest (or telescope, i haven't seen an "official" term for this) certain pipes within each other and increase the load capacity, although i haven't seen the loading capacity on this technique.

https://www.simplifiedbuilding.com/pipe/guide

This website has some good information on the strength of steel pipping, even if they are trying to sell their own product.
>>
>>1210393

build that exact thing and put mega man toys all over to create a level. sell on etsy for 600$
>>
>>1212313
>not just using a cross connector
holy fuck
>>
>>1212965
it was a design choice. The bar stools i made have a X fittings
>>
>>1210393
I live in Chile this could be cheap as hell.
>>
>>1213414

a design choice that will make your structure weak as fuck. are you an architect by any chance?
>>
>>1213421
it's a side table. It will bear the load of a lamp and a drink or two.
>>
>>1213421
>Side Table.jpg

Do you need to fuck on it or something? That's the requirement for all the tables I make. If I can't fuck on it without it breaking I don't make it.
>>
>>1213424
Considering its going to be next to a day bed, that would be unnecessary...
>>
>>1210465
bzaaaap
>>
>>1211072
Came here to say this. Hell, they even make paint that creates a fake patina so you can make it look oxidized. IIRC you can get sets of paint that have both the copper and the patina.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.