[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wrenches

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5

File: wre.png (59KB, 154x185px) Image search: [Google]
wre.png
59KB, 154x185px
Is one of these types superior to the other?
>>
>>1210353
Double ended wrenches are vastly superior to all with small tool boxes.

Which reminds me. I need to transfer tools from my old "home made" tool box to my new one
>>
The upper one has less possibility to brake as it has less weak-points, however it may slip easier on a bolt as the patch of contact is reduced. The bottom one has a far greater contact patch, though is weaker at the point closer to the handle.
Think of the bottom wrench as to why it might be easier to break the same way why a drink-can is cylinder shaped (for durability) and not square shaped (for space saving).
I think if one would be superior to the other; the less superior one would be discontinued long ago, unless there are factors of cost-saving which I believe is not the case here.
>>
File: joker-main.jpg (61KB, 600x209px) Image search: [Google]
joker-main.jpg
61KB, 600x209px
>>1210353
>Is one of these types superior to the other?
no they arent
they will do the work both, only thing you need to watch out is shit quality and "chink shit"
>>
>>1210390
>only thing you need to watch out is shit quality and "chink shit"
And I thought that's exactly what you posted untill I saw the name. That wrench seems a tad over the top. That's a lot of bulk to be swinging back and forth workin a nut off.
>>
I'd choose bottom.

The thinner design (aside from allowing access to tighter spots) likely indicates a stronger type of steel.

Cheaper wrenches use cheaper steel and compensate by adding more.
>>
>>1210412
>Cheaper wrenches use cheaper steel and compensate by adding more.
lol no they don't. An expensive wrench will be nice and thick so it doesn't feel like you're stabbing your hand when you actually put pressure on it.
>>
>>1210417
>so it doesn't feel like you're stabbing your hand when you actually put pressure on it.
Tell that to Snap-On
>>
>>1210432
Or Williams, especially the big ones. The 1-5/8" combo wrench I have feels like it's trying to cut my hand in half.
>>
>>1210432
Tell that to Snap-On
>>1210453
Or Williams

Oh, you mean the same company? Cause, you know, they are made by the same company...
>>
>>1210453
>>1210432
They feel nice and soft, ive never felt the beams on my snapons to feel "sharp".
>>
>>1210353
The "V" at the back of the one in the bottom is useless. Because it's opposite the wrench opening there's no force pushing the fastener/nut into it, so it doesn't apply any additional grip or allow you to apply additional torque. In the end, they're both the same.
>>
>>1210482
but does it even matter?
>>
>>1210353
No. They will both fail eventually. Unless you're doing indoor pinterest-tier shit, wrenches are consumables. Buy the cheapest one that's actually made of steel and hammer away at it.
t.mechanic
>>
>>1210628
>They will both fail eventually. Unless you're doing indoor pinterest-tier shit, wrenches are consumables. Buy the cheapest one that's actually made of steel and hammer away at it.
>t.mechanic

Perhaps mechanics actually destroy wrenches, but I have several makes that I've used in on cars and other things for about 40 years and they are all fine except for one open end 1/2 that I abused and it's still usable, it's just a tad wider than 1/2" now.

How the fuck does a good wrench get consumed?
>>
>>1210628
Unless you're stripping off the chrome and letting the steel rust away, how the fuck do you break a wrench? How hard are you hitting them? I've hammered on and used cheater bars on a few wrenches and never broken one or bent one badly enough to notice.
>>
>>1210412
Pretty much this. It's not like an open end wrench should need grip anyway, open end is for loosening bolts which have already been broken loose. If this were the box end, it's arguable for different applications.
>>1210628
No idea how you're breaking wrenches. I'm a mechanic also, I've never broken a wrench unless you include cutting and grinding them into custom tools as breaking them.
>>
>>1210628
Im a parts guy who works with mechanics.
Some of them still have Craftsman wrenches and sockets they bought in the 70s
>>
>>1210487
That's what I'm saying, it makes no difference.
>>
>>1210654
>open end is for loosening bolts which have already been broken loose.
If they're loosened there's no reason to use a wrench over your fingers.
>>
>>1210823
>If they're loosened there's no reason to use a wrench over your fingers.

"loose" to a mechanic does not necessarily mean girly loose. sometimes it means that you can stop using that long as hell breaker bar and go to the normal ratchet.
>>
>>1210365
This
>>
>>1210457
I find Wright more comfortable honeslty, Though I do wish the wrenches were a tad bit thinner.

>>1210654
Box ends don't work on 1-1/8" flare nuts.
>but my flare wrench!
Yeah, but flare wrenches that big are specialty tools. That also doesn't accommodate for controls and parts that are meant to be mated to pipe with a 1" square bolster (Gas/Steam/Water solenoids) provided to wrench on. My 1" wrench I keep in the bag is perfect for these.
>>
>>1210628
you're crazy. if by "fail" you mean like spread a bit, yeah sometimes that happens, but it takes years.
>>1210653
>>1210654
i broke one, once. 21mm on a jam nut. pipe on the wrench. i usually just give it a quick hard pull and they break loose. once it just snapped half the jaw off.
>>
>>1210353
><Wrench> @ Shattered Hills (Alliance)
Is the best Spanner
>>
>>1210628
>wrenches are consumables
Only if the wrench is shitty, or you're using it wrong.

Either way, you're a pleb.

We have heavy plant fitters and quarry mechanics that don't even break wrenches.
>>
>>1210823
If you've never had to loosen something your hand can't reach or even something that's been corroded to a point hand loosening is impossible, I want your job
>>
>>1211029
>Quick hard pull
Shouldn't be doing that. More stress on the tools that way. Impact force is a hell of a thing.
>>
>>1210487

I had to fall
To lose my wreeench!
>>
>>1210412
clearly never used a stahlwille spanner. that shit is thin as fuck and i've had 3 ft lengths of pipe on them without ever breaking one, they bend and just spring back into place
>>
>>1212027
Id be more worried about your body
>>
>>1210628
>Shoulda asked for a shot of black at the foundry
>>
>>1210410
It has got the chink moon scribbles cast into it. Why would you think it's not chink?
>>
I have never in my life broke a wrench and I abuse the fuck out of my tools.
>>
>>1213883
I think that's a 17 under and over lined .....
>>
>>1213894
Abuse does not equal hard work, faggot. Start taking care of your tools.
>>
>>1213866
They're clearly not a pro, anon.
>>
>>1213883
Because its a Wera wrench you mong
>>
OP here
I was just asking because I was considering buying angle wrenches, which the OP image is a crop of.
I just wanted to know if the V helped or hindered the work in some way.
Well maybe hinder isn't the correct word but maybe it lowers the life of the tool? maybe?
>>
>>1214215
doesn't help, doesn't hurt - it's a marketing gimmic
>>
>>1214215
sometimes they help for specific purposes, like do you change/adjust the ignition timing on vehicles that have distributes every day? If not then pufft
>>
One more question then.
More on the DIY side.

Do you think that getting a set of normal wrenches and cutting them in half is an ok method of getting stubby wrenches? Or is there any reason I should shell out the dough for market stubby wrenches?
>>
>>1214276
I work on furnaces a lot.
Some have very tight working space.
A couple of standard sizes fit almost everything on them.
I sawed some older, duplicate wrenches in half and ground the ends smooth to have 'stubbies' that I needed.
It worked out great for me.
>>
>>1210432
I asked my dad about this, and he said that's what the break bar is for, as he held a two foot long steel pipe in his hand.
>>
>>1216170
>break bar
cheater bar
>>
>>1214276
>1214399
Works fine. I cut down 30mm and 32mm spanners for plumbing pipework in confined spaces. Looks odd as fuck having 100mm handles on spanner heads these size but it works like a dream.

Also an interesting study in cheap hacksaw blade life versus good quality stainless steel spanners.
>>
>>1213883
Oh boi
>>
>>1213883
holy kek, bet u merukan
they are mede in Czech Wera plant so u have the quality guaranteed
>>
>>1217164
is that metric system?!
>>
>>1217733
Yes, of course.
>>
>>1210390
Looks like something that those faggot edgy 90's kids that listened to linkin park, wore baggy clothes and spiked hair would buy.
>>
>>1217177
For $500+ they better be guaranteed!
>>
>>1218666
No satan, they are not that expensive. 200$ for the whole set. Just wait for the summer sale or after xmas.
>>
>>1218909
>Just wait for the summer sale
>already august
Summer above or below the equator?
>>
>>1210353
These are spanners.
>>
>>1219229
open-end spanners*
>>
>>1210648
Given enough use wrenches do actually wear, as material is slowly worn away from the contact surfaces.

I'd wager even a professional mechanic is more likely to lose a wrench before they would wear it out though.
>>
>>1214276
Don't cut decent wrenches if you need stubbies.

Buy the cheapest set of ready made stubby wrenches you can. They are a short tool, so they will never be exposed to much force anyway. It is one of few tools where quality does not really matter.
>>
I use Craftsmans.
>>
File: spanner.jpg (33KB, 886x259px) Image search: [Google]
spanner.jpg
33KB, 886x259px
>>1219229
They are combination wrenches
Pic related is a spanner
>>
>>1219462
You can't see the other end.
The ' combination' comes from one end being closed, one end being open. You can only see the open end, these are not necessarily combination anything.
Spanner vs wrench, unlike the combination part is regional. Americans call anything they can ' wrench' a wrench. Everything is a wrench. Plenty of Americans would call your pic a wrench. People from other English speaking countries, you know the people who came up with the language in the first place, quite sensibly have different names for different tools.
>>
>>1217802
its just a wrench...
>>1218666
yeah they prety normal priced(higher then meme bernds - lol)
>>
>>1219322
Do you reckon I'd be better off just buying a crow's feet, an extension, and a breaker bar?
>>
File: attachment[1].jpg (115KB, 920x762px) Image search: [Google]
attachment[1].jpg
115KB, 920x762px
>>1219912
You know the funny thing about English? It is not from England. Even the English are not from England. The place is named after the people (Angles), which originally came from Germany (Angeln).

Anything you turn can be said to be a wrench or 'wrenched'. A spanner, on the other hand, was originally a very specific tool used to wind the spring on wheel lock firearms (picture related). It didn't come up through the English language like wrench did, but was imported from German much later (1630s). It didn't come to have a more general meaning as a generic tool until about 1790 after the USA was founded. As you can see from the picture it did not resemble anything like a modern tool. It was often just a square hole with a handle on it to allow for turning or twisting of the wheel lock. There were many such tools with many different names with similar appearances. Just about any kind of crank from that era would probably look similar if less embellished.

Now wrench has a long history in the English language, coming up from Old English. To 'wrench' something could be to pull or turn it. I tried to research a more in depth history of the tool but there is not a lot out there. The term wrench referring to a tool dates to about the same period as spanner but the first patented wrench appears to have been created by an American in 1835. That was for an adjustable model, though. Fixed size tools have clearly been around longer but I can't find any real mention of them. Either way, if you google who invented the spanner/wrench you get the same answer.

TL;DR 'spanner' is a much newer term to English than 'wrench' and it just another example of the English thinking that the current term they use was always the original because they consider themselves the inventors of English (even though it is technically a German invention). Other examples include 'loaned vs lent' 'color vs colour and other or/our words (hint, Shakespear used both)', 'tyre vs tire', etc, etc.
>>
>>1220388
Aluminium is another fun one.
English discoverer names it Aluminum because it's consistent with the names of related compounds. Different English cunt who has nothing to do with it wants to call it Aluminium because it sounds more posh. So naturally the English take the more pretentious spelling as standard.
>>
>>1222169
I was born and still reside in Bauxite, Arkansas.
>>
>>1222226
>I was born and still reside in Bauxite, Arkansas.
Go see the world, anon
>>
>>1220388
yawn!
..a spanner was...
and now its not. c'est la vie!

>>1222169
>because it's consistent with the names of related compounds.
example?

doesn't explain other retarded americanisms, sidewalk. you don't walk on your side you walk upright.
sawdering iron, doesn't saw it solders.
gas, not a gas its a liquid.
i could go on.
>>
>>1223881

Carmel instead of caramel really tickles my rage buttons.

Sidewalk makes sense to me if you view the road as the main byway and you have a strip on the side for people to walk on.
>>
>>1220388

You know what's the funny thing about the Germans?

They are not actually from Germany! You can trace them back to Africa if you look far enough!
>>
>>1223881
There are 4, not counting Aluminum:
Platinum
Molybdenum
Tantalum
Lanthanum

IUM greatly outnumbers just UM, though.

>sidewalk
Because it is on the side of the road and you walk on it.

>sawdering iron
Soldering iron. Because you solder with it.

>gas, not a gas its a liquid.
Gas is short for gasoline. We don't use the generic petrol because we generally only have two fuels to worry about: Gasoline and diesel. Even then, diesel is very much in the minority. The Commonwealth, back in the day, also used benzine, kerosene, and a few other fuels on top of those for their vehicles so they used a more generic term derived from petroleum (notice it is not spelled petrolium).
>>
>>1224063
>(notice it is not spelled petrolium).
Shouldn't that be petroilium?
>>
>>1224074
Pitriiliim.
>>
>>1223971
not true, new finds show europeans come from europe
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.