[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am planning on making a desk, and I was wondering if you guys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

File: images.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
I am planning on making a desk, and I was wondering if you guys would be nice enough to help me
The plan is it have it be an L desk that is about 5 feet each way
I was wanting to make it out of pallets, but it would require a crap ton of sanding, because I plan on using it as a computer desk
But I was thinking, i could make a frame, than use plywood or particle board in the middle, and put something over it, like a cheap wood flooring.

The only issue with the pallet one is the fact that I don't have a sander
Tl;Dr- want to make a desk, don't know what to make it out of, tips/advice wanted
Pic is somewhat like I'm planning
>>
Stop being a cheap bastard, go buy a corded drill, a dowelling jig and some woodglue. And dont make it out of shit, go to dumps and drive around. Theres a ton of normies throwing out decent hardwood beds and drawers that are broken.
As for the plan, its a fucking desk, you can figure this shit out.
>>
>>1210236
go to a habitat restore and pick up a wood door
>>
>>1210236
Plywood
Mdf is a bitch because it doesn't take normal hardware or glue well. You need to use expensive mdf nuts and shit.
Just buy hi grade plywood. Plywood is rated by the surface finish CD plywood is grade c on one side d on the other. This is very common because it is strong and cheap

For a desk or cabinet you would want AB grade. You will need just a little sanding to finish.
Check Linus tech tips for a diy desk. His leg design is nuts though and needs a brace across the bottom a quarter way up the leg

Using pallets is also nuts because you need a planer, tablesaw and a biscuit joiner or doweling jig to make bigger pieces and to get the surface good enough to use
>>
>>1210241
I do have a few power tools, cordless drill, jig saw, band saw, circular saw, and typical hand tools
>>
>>1210245
I did see Linus's video on the desk, wanted to have it so it had the glass top and could have a pc in it and you could look in. But too expensive. Thank you for the tips about mdf and the palets
>>
>>1210247
Then stop working with particle board and ply you fucking barbarian, go find an old door and some bed frames.
>>
>>1210254
Not going to use particle, ply is a maybe, the bed frames doesn't sound bad. I don't know about the availability of doors in my area
>>
>>1210256
Then laminate some shit, if youve got a hand plane, some sash clamps, a level and 3 hours to spare then its a cheap as fuck way to get a solid top.
>>
>>1210254
How would a door work, or rather, how do I make it flat?
>>
>>1210266
If your asking that then you dont belong on diy.
>>
>>1210276
Everyone has to start somewhere
>>
>>1210291
Getting some fucking braincells would be a good start.
>>
>>1210293
Got me good. Don't know where I could buy some. Defiantly not from you
>>
File: desk.png (2KB, 450x394px) Image search: [Google]
desk.png
2KB, 450x394px
>>1210266
>How would a door work, or rather, how do I make it flat?

I'm not part of this brawl yet, but I would guess the other guy was referring to flat doors rather than six-panel doors.

I made a curved desk like pic-related. The two straight sides are about 80 inches which means that I probably used more than one 4 x 8 sheet of plywood (it's been years). Depending on your area, it might make more sense to square off the ends and just keep the curve in the middle. I curved mine because one end is where I enter, and I am autistic enough that it had to be symmetric on the other end.

It might not be that much better than an L, but it looks a lot cooler, and when you are swiveling your chair right in the center it works great.
>>
to make a desk use only hardwood. 4 legs and a top.
>>
File: DSC_0495.jpg (478KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0495.jpg
478KB, 1920x1080px
>>1210691
If you can't make a desk you're actually hopeless

Pic related, made from a boarded up window and a 4 x 4. Total cost: 55 cents for screws
>>
File: KIMG0049.jpg (286KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
KIMG0049.jpg
286KB, 640x480px
Do this. Minimal sanding, just stain and paint pipe legs.
>>
>>1210247
You have everything else just pick up a sander they're like $60 or less.

This table was made with 3/4" oak flooring. 3/4" Mdf as the base and frames for the "legs"

You have any lumber yards around? More than likely they'll have a few doors sitting around cause they got ordered wrong and usually want to get rid of at a discount.
>>
>>1210697
like sure theres a lot more to it if you want design and shit, but a desk can be made even simpler by putting a door on 2 cabinet draws. did the op really need a thread? no

also nice ghetto desk. what are the legs recycled from? they remind me of the support beam in my shed
>>
>>1210704
>>1210704
Found a couple old patio beams in a vacant yard close to my house. Strongest table legs money can buy
On the same street some guys were replacing a window and gave me the old board, voila desk! I eventually made the clipboard holder with a kitchen cabinet door.
>>
>>1210245
Plywood is shit tier unless you to carpet over it or some sort of vinyl adhesive or leatherette cover.

MDF all the way for the desktop, pine for the legs and shelf supports.

Alternative, look out for free cabinets as mentioned, the sides should be big enough for a desk.
>>
>>1211213
what the fuck are you on? mdf is shit compared to ply. mdf of most tiers is shit and will sag with weight unlike ply. plus mdf will look low quality. pine will scratch easy too because its soft.
>>
>>1210236
What do you usually do with 3 monitors other then gaming?
>>
>>1211222
>protip
Theyre both shit, stop being lazy and find some real wood.
>>
>>1211849
stop trolling kid, ply is made to be strong. vs it against most woods it wont sag while to woods will eventually
>>
>>1211877
What mysterious non sagging plywood do you speak of ?
>>
>>1211970
Compared to mdf ply doesn't sag. Just don't get it wet. Either of them actually.
>>
>>1210236
>I was wanting to make it out of pallets
Don't.
>>
>>1211970
If you don't put any weight on it, and brace it properly, then plywood won't sag !
>>
>>1211676
I have 2 monitors and a laptop. Just want more space do when I'm fixing comps there is room for another keyboard and mouse
>>
>>1212006
Don't plan oon it anymore
>>
File: WIN_20170720_211710.jpg (687KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20170720_211710.jpg
687KB, 2560x1440px
>>1210236
I just got a cheap kitchen counter and some legs from Ikea. Cost less than $100 for a fairly large work area.
>>
>>1211213
>Plywood is shit tier unless you to carpet over it or some sort of vinyl adhesive or leatherette cover.
You can get veneered ply you know? Get some oak veneered plywood and put an oak trim around it.
>>
>>1212785
You can also get Baltic Birch and do nothing special to it. Just some careful finishing is all you need since it looks pretty gud on its own.
>>
>>1210699
anon, you think this pipe structure/legs would hold a 12kg wood top?
>>
File: 20170716_190803.jpg (1MB, 3256x904px) Image search: [Google]
20170716_190803.jpg
1MB, 3256x904px
>>1210236
I'm currently finishing a cheap convertible desk/work bench made of 2x4's and ply. I'll be putting on some common board tomorrow to hide my shitty work and clean up the look in general. My only advice is put together a solid plan. Draw it up, get your cut list squared away, and then buy your materials. Good luck
>>
File: computer desk revised.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
computer desk revised.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
Just finshed an lshaped desk awhile ago that im pretty happy about its 34" high 78" long on th long end and about 52" long on the shorter end and 25 5/8" deep PLENTY of space i bought kitchen contertops at ikea and some 3/4 MDF boards and some support brackets turned out nice i think total cost was around $200 this is my CAD sketch and the irl version is very similar
>>
File: Snapchat-1791477840.jpg (281KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1791477840.jpg
281KB, 720x1280px
>>1213605
found some irl pictures on the build and the cabinets
>>
File: complete.jpg (172KB, 1069x1440px) Image search: [Google]
complete.jpg
172KB, 1069x1440px
>>1213609
end product
>>
>>1213605
>>1213609
>>1213613
How did you go about connecting the countertops at the seam?
>>
>>1211676
Not OP but I have three monitors at work (software engineer). Two widescreens (one portrait/landscape) for code, so I can see long sections as well as dense/long lines. Third is an old 4:3 where I leave outlook, reference material, test applications, misc crap.

I could easily get by with two but three is the sweet spot.
>>
>>1213842
I used 3 mending brackets it screws them flush with each other quite nicely.

Pic related the exact brackets I used
>>
>>1211676
The idea of 2 or 3 (or more) monitors was never the idea for gaming. It was always work related.
>>
>>1213893
Awesome thanks for the idea and info
>>
>>1213886
metoo.jpg
One for docs, one for IDEA, one for app. On the EDA virtual desktop, one for docs, one for schematic, one for layout or more docs. It's comfy.
I would almost like a fourth for /mu/sic production, but I can live with this just fine.
>>
>>1212136
Neither would mdf
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.