[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Increasing the R value and strength of a concrete block wall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

I want to increase the strength and R value of a concrete block wall. It would increase the strength of the wall if I put in steel wire or rebar down through the slots in the concrete and poured more concrete from top down, but what if I just poured the dust down there and let time and ambient humidity harden the concrete over time? Or, going back to liquid concrete, what if I added a porous material like foam pebbles(the super tiny ones like 1/16th of an inch) to the mixture?

I know I can insulate the interior or add things to the exterior, but I'm talking only on the topic of the brick itself.
>>
>>1210210
Fill the center of the bricks with packing peanuts? Dunno, best way would be to use vacuum sealed panels on the inside of the brick. You need airspace to create insulation, filling it with concrete will just create more points for heat/cold to get into the house.
>>
If you actually want to increase the strength because of some real not imaginary reason, you'll have to have starter bars coming out of the foundation/slab that it's resting on, otherwise you have a wall that can just topple over from the base. And while you could theoretically dry pour and let it (eventually) harden by ambient humidity, you wouldn't have concrete grout, you'd have shit you wasted your money on that wouldn't protect the rebar from rust and wouldn't add any significant strength to the wall.

You'll need 16mm deformed bar for the starter bars from the foundation, 12mm deformed bar up the wall, (both at 400mm centres) and 12mm deformed bar laid horizontally every second course.

You'd be better off using lightweight insulating concrete forms instead of blocks, as that will give you some degree of insulation. If the wall is already up, line it with polystyrene panels or other insulation.
>>
>>1210228
>starter bars?
Dont listen to anything this goob said
>>
>>1210210
I would start by putting metal beams over those doorways.
>>
>>1210210
but water is what makes concrete strong.
too much water to start is bad because it dilutes the mix but once it goes green you keep the concrete wet and over weeks and months it absorbs water and gets stronger and harder.
thats why you cover wet slabs with sheets and sprinklers on a hot day.
pouring 'dust' in isn't going to add strength because it won't set properly and it will be expensive as fuck. stones and sand (ballast) is added to cement to make concrete not because its magic but because its cheaper than cement. bulks it out.
>>
>>1210260
>thats why you cover wet slabs with sheets and sprinklers on a hot day.
Incorrect. That is done to prevent uneven curing which in turn causes spalling.
>>
>>1210210
To increase strength you'd pour concrete beams every 4 ft in the blocks and then use channel block for the top layer that you fill with reinforced concrete. Of course the beams in the walls would be reinforced with rebar that ties in to both the slab and the top channel. For added R-value you'd fill the empty holes in the blocks with styrofoam beads or some similar product before you cap the walls with the channel blocks.
>>
>>1210267
>uneven curing
> spalling
Wow that sounds like really good strong concrete to me. Dickhead.
>>
>>1210237
He's right.

You should have starter bars if you're reinforcing the masonry and trying to make it span top to bottom.
>>
>>1210210
that garage would do an awesome home-
>>
>>1210324
It has nothing to do with keeping the water in the concrete. It is all about making sure the water content is consistent across the entire slab. In can dry slow or it can dry fast, it doesn't matter, as long as it dries evenly. If it does not then one or more portions of the concrete will cure out of sync with the rest. This causes them to develop into layers instead of being a solid slab. Over time the layers separate and start to peel away.
>>
Filling the block with insulating material isn't going to increase the R-value by a meaningful amount. Heat/cold transfers through the physical block, not through the cavity inside the block. In fact, filling the cavities with concrete would lower the R-value of the wall because an enclosed air space is a better thermal insulator than concrete (which is why double-pane glass with an air gap in between is used for having a better R-value in windows rather than using thicker glass.
>>
>>1210210

If you look at professional concrete block insulation like https://insofast.com/

its essentially tight interlocking polystyrene foam if you really trying to up the R value 4 inches should take up up to 18-20 R
>>
>>1210210
>strength and R value of a concrete block wall
one of these things is not like the other

to insulate, foam board
>>
>>1210210
Anon cheapest and best bet is just make a sturdy cyndervlock wall with concrete and rebar and then insulate inside. Can glue it on pretty easy or sheet with 1/4 or 1/2" moisture resistant plywood and staole insulation to it.
>>
Stud the inside walls and insulate like any other house...The pic is a garage wtf negro?
>>
>>1210210
So you dont want rival crews to pillage your shit and you dont want the thermal cameras to spot your operation?
>>
>>1210449
>In can dry slow or it can dry fast
you don't want it to dry you want it to set
>>
>>1210210
I'm surprised no one has suggested ICF.
>>
>>1210921

Literally the 3rd comment in this thread....
See >>1210228
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.