[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brazing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Hello there, new to this board. I am have a lot of experience with soldering and recently have wanted to get into brazing. Anyone have any suggestions for beginner brazing? A good beginner set up? Thanks!
>>
Brazing's a fairly difficult skill- try some soft soldering first, using flux and how to apply your heat so the solder moves to where that is, then work up to silver-soldering and the like
>>
>>1210105
Thanks anon, a lot of things i solder i like you use rosin core with flux in it. Does brazing have options like this? I read at certain temps with brazing your flux will change colors. I have done a few arc welds however it ruins the molecular compounds in the products i am making ruining the magnetic charge the metal needs to hold. I did some research and brazing seems like a better option for what i am doing. Is this something you recommend i try at home to experiment? The gas tanks required seem a little scary to be sitting in a garage. Thoughts?
>>
>>1210106
Try some sheet metal soft soldering- make a tool tray or something like that
>Clean up the edges, remove any zinc coating, flux the joins, apply heat and then run the solder along it.

That's sort of how I ended up learning to braze and solder, later on moved into a bit of copper and silver brazing in more industrial/plumbing applications. I'm not a professional though and we do have some plumbers lurking here which might be able to jump in.
>>
>>1210112
Will do ill try it out thanks anon!
>>
Some brazing you can do with a MAPP torch so you don't need to go to an oxy-acetalyne torch. There are quite a few types of braze available, a cheap way to learn is some copper water pipe fittings and some phos-copper or silver solder rods from the hardware store (no flux needed for those two types on copper).
You can do a lot of brazing with silver solder rods and the appropriate flux, but the key elements are a clean, well fluxed joint and good joint fitup - you want a light push fit so that capillary action can pull the braze between the joint faces. There's usually a torrent floating around containing the book Soldering and Brazing by Tubal Cain - it's one of the miniature steam engine builders bibles, so if you can download a copy of it' it'll tell you plenty.
>>
>>1210104
i've brazed copper-brass fittings together with oxypropane ( using something-silv brazing rod, the 0% silver rod lol ) and harris stay-silv flux, the flux makes it flow nice

here's some bronze brazing and a cast iron intake manifold repair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=117Q9odITF8
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.