[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

240 hz?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: 20170715_172014.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170715_172014.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Just moved into a place, hot pockets coming out cold, microwave counts down seconds way to fast. Bought multimeter cause I don't like cold pockets. What if anything could be causing this?
>>
>>1210014
lolwut
>>
>>1210014
Your outlet is upside down. Flip that sucker the right way up and it should fix the problem. It is also probably what is causing your pictures to post upsidedown also.
>>
>>1210014
Get out your owners manual and set it to the highest power level... or go to walmart and buy a new one for $60.
>>
>>1210039
There's only one setting for the frequency though. Other outlets showed 60hz (+/-1).. so don't think it's defective.. 120v, just wondering what could cause this
>>
1. your meter might be broken or the battery low enough to cause weird shit, change the battery, otherwise:

That type thing from someone using those bullshit scam power savers that are supposed to lower your electric bill by screwing with the power measurement?

Go look outside at meter and inside around breaker panel for weird extra shit attached.

It takes some actual electronics to change the frequency, not something a transformer failure could do.

Go use the meter on other outlets in the place, then test that your meter is working by using it at someone else's house.
>>
>>1210068
>>1210069
You posted while I was typing that shit up.

since your meter is working and everything else is normal:

Anything else on that circuit? unplug everything else to see if it's caused by some other device on the circuit. Is it fed by an arc protection or gfci breaker or other outlet?
>>
File: zelscope.jpg (86KB, 600x348px) Image search: [Google]
zelscope.jpg
86KB, 600x348px
i'd be really interested in seeing that on a scope. if OP can manage to hook up an AC output transformer to a voltage divider (to get, say, 0.1V RMS) and feed it into a software oscilloscope like Zelscope, it'd shed some light on the mystery.

my best guess is that this would be coming from a UPS, but that wouldnt make sense in a kitchen.
>>
>>1210014
I bet the local power company would be very interested in hearing about that.
>>
File: UPS.png (22KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
UPS.png
22KB, 800x480px
>>1210094
>my best guess is that this would be coming from a UPS,

Which made me wonder what my UPS provides. Wow what a mess. But it seems to power things fine.
>>
>>1210014
Grab it and find out if it's really 240hz, you can feel the difference between 60 and 240 easily. Not joking either, except about the grabbing it part
>>
>>1210186
Well it might kill you but at least you'd know whether it was really 240Hz.
>>
>>1210014
only out of that one receptacle?
>>
A bit off topic, getting started with electronics here, why should I not buy a cheap $15 multimeter from AliExpress?
>>
>>1210207
As opposed to what? Nothing at all? A shitting multimeter from HF? A nice one? What?
>>
>>1210218
plz write a nice long post about getting a multimeter so he can skim and ignore it
>>
>>1210207
Well if you put it in a mains socket you'll die, but it should suffice for low voltage stuff if you don't care about accuracy or durability.
>>
>>1210218
I meant to quote the guy who posted about the $60 multimeter from Walmart.
>>
Bump

I'm interested about what is happening here, any more news on it?
>>
>>1210014
You have electronics in your wall. Possibly some jury-rigged nightmare fuel. Rip it out and take pictures. The previous owner probably had some strange appliances running to cook his meth.
>>
How did you change microwave time to clock time?
>>
my guess is two phases instead of a neutral and a phase
>>
File: 20170117_192021.jpg (745KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_192021.jpg
745KB, 2048x1152px
>>1210275
total mystery
>>
What's the voltage? Maybe if the voltage is too low, your microwave will not work properly. Do other devices work?
>>
File: mo.jpg (8KB, 244x191px) Image search: [Google]
mo.jpg
8KB, 244x191px
If time goes faster there's the problem with the timer. You can remove timer and make a switcher.
>>
>>1210014
Did you smell something blue when you put it in the microwave?
>>
>>1210339
No but I smelt supernova
>>
>>1210221
Thanks
>>
File: thinking.jpg (16KB, 552x414px) Image search: [Google]
thinking.jpg
16KB, 552x414px
>>1210339
>>
>>1210279
Doesn't make sense... 2 phased 60Hz is still just 120Hz when consolidated
>>
>>1210617
No, when consolidated a 2-phase is 0Hz by definition
>>
>>1210014
There has to be some kind of power converter in the wall behind that outlet. Something that converts 120VAC @ 60Hz -> DC -> 120VAC @ 240Hz.

This is incredibly weird. The only explanations I can think of are that the former owner was running something he built that needs 240Hz AC (some weird high frequency induction motor maybe?), or you have some incredibly unlikely harmonics issue.

I mean I know aircraft and maybe some ships use 400Hz systems because higher frequencies can use smaller transformers (which are physically lighter since their cores aren't as big, which is an obvious advantage in the air), but I've never heard of a 240Hz system. Maybe it's a 400Hz system and your multimeter only goes up to 240Hz? I'd think in that case it would just say out of range or error or something though.

I'd borrow another multimeter from someone to double check your measurements, and if that one agrees with yours pull the wall apart and see what the fuck is in there.

There is some powerful fuckery afoot.
>>
>>1210207
Fuck off to /sqt/ faggot, this thread is far to interesting to be interrupted with your dross..
>>
>>1210633
Maybe the previous owner hired a contractor to up his kitchen voltage to 240, but failed to specify that it was voltage and not frequency. I don't know. Seems just too unlikely that it's by accident
>>
>>1210639
Any contractor dumb enough to confuse voltage with frequency, or even to assume that's what the owner wanted without double checking, would probably be too dumb to install something that changed frequency to 240Hz.

It has to be either some bad harmonics or deliberate, but I have no idea what the use of a 240Hz system could be.
>>
>>1210643
>I have no idea what the use of a 240Hz system could be.

Maybe the former owner simply liked ColdPockets.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best.
>>
>>1210647
Seems easier to just eat them straight out of the freezer then.

They're always half frozen no matter how long you nuke them anyways.
>>
>>1210651
If that's the case, you might want to check your frequency as well. I've never had s problem turning the insides to molten goo.
>>
File: 3_phase_AC_waveform.svg.png (14KB, 220x164px) Image search: [Google]
3_phase_AC_waveform.svg.png
14KB, 220x164px
>>1210619
2 different phases...
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.