[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bookshelf Construction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: benis.jpg (617KB, 4000x2033px) Image search: [Google]
benis.jpg
617KB, 4000x2033px
So, I am currently planning a bookshelf for my living room. The shelfs have to be 120cm wide and about 35cm deep. The shelf is should be able to support a lineup up heavy encyclopedia style books stacked along its entire length without bending to a degree, where it is visually apparent. According to my calculations, 30mm thick plywood with 3mm walnut veneers on each side, will still bend more than 2cm in the long run. Which I assume is going to be visible under normal circumstances.

How should i go about doing this, without using solid hardwood, since I dont want to do that due to warping and expansion concerns. Especially, since the room, which the bookshelf is going to be in has a relative humidity of 70%@19° in the summer and like 45%@19° in the winter.
>>
Why are you storing books in a room with 70% humidity?

Also, use real units.
>>
>>1209981

Because thats the retarded climate combined with the fact, that this is a 200year old building with almost 50cm thick stone walls. Those walls never really heat up and so it cools the humid 35° outside air down to like 18°C, which is equivalent to the temperature that most modern basements sit at during the summer.

The metric system is the system of god dude.
>>
>>1209982

Yeah, I don't really care about that. How is it that you can spend enough time working on a bookcase to calculate the deflection of plywood under load but you won't buy a fucking dehumidifier?
>>
>>1209984

How is a dehumidifier going to fix the problems related to the flexing of the shelf?

Maybe I could make some Walnut 3 layer Plywood, with a core consisting of small strips and 2 1.5mm veneers on each side to get the grain direction right.
>>
>>1209990

>How is a dehumidifier going to fix the problems related to the flexing of the shelf?

A humid room is going to turn both your plywood shelves and the books sitting on them to shit.
>>
>>1209992

Wut? 70% is normal where i live. There are no mold issues with any of the furniture in my house.
>>
I don't believe for a second 30mm plywood will bend that much over only 1200mm.
>>
Check your bend assumptions with the Sagulator -
http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.