[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Air Conditioner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 9

File: maxresdefault.jpg (153KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
153KB, 1280x720px
What's the skinny on these DIY as A/Cs? I live in a house that doesn't have any type of A/C installed. No swamp cooler but where I live in far northern Cali, it gets up to 115 degrees Fahrenheit. Trying to figure a way to keep my room around let's say 72 degrees. It gets to 86 around 4pm. Not sure if those window A/Cs are worth their money and power usage and would rather go the cheap method if it indeed does yield a desirable effect all the same.
>>
Edit: There's the ice chest ones too. Those seem more prevalent on Youtube.
>>
>>1209552
You're not keeping a room at 72 degrees in 115 degree heat without a real air conditioner. Those DIY hack jobs are inconvenient and ineffective. Even a window air conditioner would be hard pressed to maintain a 43 degree delta.
>>
>>1209554
I was being a bit silly. Gets to 115 a few towns over but like a high of 95 here during the hottest part of the afternoon. That's 23 degrees difference. Just 86 is very unbearable and makes me so sleepy.
>>
>>1209557
Expect the DIY "pump cold water in front of a fan" things to buy you maybe 5 degrees in the room if you're lucky, and 10 or 15 degrees if you're in the direct path of airflow. Also, expect to have to change the water/dry ice two or three times an hour.
>>
>>1209560
Even if I was to use some good sized ice blocks?
>>
>>1209561
Fuck it dude, give it a try. Worst case, you're out 50 bucks and an uncomfortable day. It sounds like you've made up your mind anyway, so just do it and see why I'm telling you it isn't worth doing.
>>
If you make your own ice, the net effect for your house is more heat.
>>
>>1209563
Nah. I'm generally curious because they seem all well and good by the people building them but I just wanted to know if they were good long term or just more of a novelty. It is silly to think you could even approach the effectiveness of an electrical A/C.
>>
File: 5000 btu window air conditioner.png (112KB, 939x676px) Image search: [Google]
5000 btu window air conditioner.png
112KB, 939x676px
>>1209561
>Even if I was to use some good sized ice blocks?

Do you really want to get ice each time you want cooling?

Building it won't be free - spend a few extra bucks and be comfortable without daily maintenance.
>>
File: 1475630848484-diy~02.jpg (13KB, 278x239px) Image search: [Google]
1475630848484-diy~02.jpg
13KB, 278x239px
>>1209586
The only time using ice to cool yourself makes sense is if you're using it to cool 'yourself' by means of putting your feet in a bucket of water with some icecubes, wearing an ice vest, or pumping ice water through some kind of liquid cooling suit.

Cooling a room with a ice isn't even worth considering.
>>
>>1209586
Whenever I see those they seem to be for windows that open up and down in lieu of side to side. The type I have.
>>
>>1209552
Looks like 3/16" brake line? I have a roll of this laying around, might try it out
>>
20 degree delta on a split system air conditioner is it running perfect. Any more you're most likely slugging the compressor with liquid refrigerant and damaging it.
>>
File: 1498606767684.jpg (63KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1498606767684.jpg
63KB, 600x800px
>>1209552
I made one of those exact things. I used an ice chest with ice and water in it. I had a submersible fountain pump in the water. It worked really well for spot cooling for when I was doing work in a super hot attic in summer. It is ultra humid where I live and this thing produced tons and tons of condensation that the fan splattered everywhere. I had to use a towel in front of it and change the towel once in a while. It is basically excellent for a dehumidifier.

Don't expect to save money. A small, cheap, window, AC unit with a box fan, to blow air where you want, it will be cheaper in the long run. These are not for cooling a room or house, but for portable spot cooling, directly on you, that thing can't be beat.
>>
If you take your big blocks of ice and put them in a bucket in a room, it will have the exact same effect on the room temperature. Maybe have a fan blow over the bucket towards you, but that's the most effort I'd put into it. These are inefficient coolers, as everyone else said.
>>
all these home AC ideas are bullshit. go look up how a nornal AC works. you have to have a means to "REMOVE" the heat from the room. simply throwing something cold in the room wont do cause theres no physical way to remove the heat from the room. the AC unit does this with the exchange of cold/heat thru the freon and coils. it "removes" the heat thru the transfer of freon from the condenser to the evaporator. simply placing ice in a room and a fan wont remove the heat but make the ice melt since the heat has nowhere to be dispersed to

but go ahead waste money building one of these gay DIY ACs that wont do anything but raise your electricity running fans and pumos and have no effect on the overall room temp.
>>
>>1209552
They're worthless.

My room mates are a bunch of hippie fucks who "don't like to impact the environment by pumping massive amounts of carbon into the atmosphere for the sake of comfort"

Fuck that noise.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G0PF4FU/

I'm always out of the house most of the day, and even then when I'm up I don't particularly care about AC, but I like conditioned air when I sleep.

I bought that unit and I love it. I had the LG 8,000 btu unit before and it sucked. This one works great. My room is 11'x12' with 8' ceiling and it cools the room down quite quickly. I like that it's quite portable and can turn it to blow right on me while I'm on the computer, or turn it 180 degrees around to point right at the bed.

And it's designed to exhaust most of the humidity out of the window minimizing eater collection tasks. Only during the most oppressively humid days of the year do I need to empty the collection bucket.
>>
>What's the skinny on these DIY as A/Cs?
they're real dumb
>let's say 72 degrees. It gets to 86 around 4pm.
some ice is not going to do that for you
>Not sure if those window A/Cs are worth their money and power usage
they do work, but you've lived up to now without one and they're not free, so you decide
>and would rather go the cheap method if it indeed does yield a desirable effect all the same.
I'd rather win the lottery, and that's more likely to happen.
>>
>>1210151
/thread
>>
>>1209568
>Nah. I'm generally curious because they seem all well and good by the people building them but I just wanted to know if they were good long term or just more of a novelty.

they build them to generate views. they hold their hand in front of the air and say 'it's cooler than without it' then they turn it off, put it away, and blast their central air.
>>
why are americans so adverse to fans?

as you sweat, the fans will move dry air to your local humid air and displace it, letting you sweat evaporate, cooling your body

fans actually do work, and if you have a sealed-ish room and a good air flow through it, while the real temperature will remain high, you will stay refreshed and cool-feeling since your body will be able to regulate its temperature more effectively
>>
>>1209589

Be creative. I have a window unit in my shop but no window, so I mounted the AC in a rubbermaid storage container, sealed it, and then cut a hole on the backside of the container and ran a PVC pipe through it, sealed it, then ran the PVC pipe outside. Hot air gets blown outside, problem solved.

This is how those floor unit AC's work too.
>>
>>1211545
It's too humid where I'm at for a fan to do anything.
>>
>>1211545
American here. I own 7 fans in my house, not counting ceiling fans.

What Europoors don't account for is how fucking hot it is in parts of the US. Athens example has an average high of 32C in July. Phoenix has an average temp of 40 C in July.

That being said, fans can work pretty well in Phoenix, because it's a desert with low humidity. However if you go over to Florida, the average humidity is 78%, so sweating isn't very effective at cooling you down.
>>
>>1211545
America east of the rockies spends most of the summer quite humid. Think Roman climate, except while all of Italy packs up and goes to the shore in August, we consider vacations to be Commie heresy and stay in our 35-degree 90% saunas.

This includes the parts that get Norwegian levels of winter cold and snow, so people can't even establish a tolerance like in east Asia.
>>
>>1211559

Eurofags can't handle the heat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

They had some 32-40C weather 14 years ago and 70k people died. If that happened in the States, the entire Southwest would have no more than a few thousand people living there.
>>
I'm sure a bunch of retards ask dumber shit than this, I'm simply looking for a skinny on why the fuck this faggot can sell screens for a third of market price.
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Digitizer-Assembly-Including-Instruction/dp/B0732RBP5W/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1500432310&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_feature_nine_browse-bin%3A15284135011

Ifixit and apple both sell the screen and digitizer for 150$. What chinese garbage is my coworker going to blame me for gluing on his edgy fashion statement?

I've fixed phones since the original iphone for quick cash and might do it for a coworker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geYe6u54Xus
as cheap as it gets, doing that autistic shit with piano wire. I've done it for a Galaxy S5 before and it's gay. I'm going to be dealing with the 7 plus, inb4 get a real phone.
>>
>>1211687
What? I've found a dozen listings on Amazon for $40-50 each. Ifixit and Apple have a big markup. On the other end of it, Apple doesn't sell legitimate replacement screens, so it's a crap shoot when it comes to quality on these screens. It's the same scenario with batteries.
>>
>>1209552
They're junk. Save the money you'd put towards this. In a couple more weeks A/C units are going to be on sale in stores because they want to make room for their fall stock, and it's easier to try and sell off the current inventory for cheap instead off haul it out back and store it.

Then you'll have a brand new A/C unit next summer
>>
>>1211645
>stay in our 35-degree 90% saunas.

A Swedish sauna. Now I understand how it feels. Bad on several levels.
>>
>>1209586
>no solar powered ac
>>
>>1209552
it will humidify air and most things will decompose earlier.
>>
>>1210143
Fair warning the tube will get very hot and warm up the room a bit, canceling some of the AC effect. Go to home depot when you buy this and get some Refletix spiral and Foil tape. Enough to cover the tube at least twice. It'll make a huge difference at the expense of the tube being semi permanent.
>>
>>1211552
That... Is actually pretty damn smart. You recon you could get a small fan on the inside as well with a fitting for a dryer tube? Next time I need a portable AC, I might just instead buy an old window unit off cragislist and do that instead with a 4 inch holesaw.
>>
>>1209589
They make split units that would probably fit the bill.
>>
>>1209552
not going for the supreme model where you have the bucket of water kept inside a mini fridge with the pvc lines running through the fridge wall. Inside the fridge you ripped out the small freezer compartment so the temperature gets much colder.....fucking amateurs
>>
File: 1500481236598.jpg (48KB, 546x387px) Image search: [Google]
1500481236598.jpg
48KB, 546x387px
>>
https://youtu.be/yFT63j5qL5s
>>
https://youtu.be/axSdUCVpliE?t=241
>>
>>1209587
Sure it is, dry ice in front of a box fan works wonders on a small room in the summer.
>>
>>1210143
Most AC units worth anything will splash the condensed water onto the condenser to help exhaust the water with the hot air.

Also, some units have a small water pump that when enough water collects, can pump the water outside as well.
>>
here in South spain we were at 48ºc last week, and only thing needed to cool myself was a portable ac, and a cheap swiiming pool on mi terrace.

But while inside only with the portable Ac and a fan, i was ok.

I dont understand why americans need those huge ac systems, and all those fans, when something smaller but well placed would do the job, saving money while doing it.
>>
i wish summer would end... sage
>>
>>1212354
>Dry ice

enjoy your CO2 poisoning.
>>
>>1212262
it takes many less KW to heat and cool a person
than all the air in your house
>>
>>1212434
our society conditions us to think we're all entitled to ridiculous luxuries like a giant amount of cooled empty space that we largely won't use for the sake of consumerism and profits for the uppermost classes
>>
>>1212354
You're going to waste $10/day on dry ice to cool a room and probably get a headache from the amount of CO2 in the room, rather than buy a $50 air conditioner of craigslist and cool the room for $2/day?

Tell me again how this is practical?
>>
File: 1361843538061.png (497KB, 755x593px) Image search: [Google]
1361843538061.png
497KB, 755x593px
>>1209552
ok, I've seen these threads a million times, and let me just start off by saying I've actually made these things so I know what works and what doesn't. First of all, if you want effectiveness
>>1212262
has the right answer, cooling your body is by far, way more cost effective, financially(long term), but also energywise than any air cooling setup. The only issue is upfront cost, I've looked into those kits and they go for something like $700-1000, if you have the money to spend, sure, but at that point you might as well just get a small AC unit.

Besides all that, the picture in OP is shit for 1 reason, surface area, this is the one thing almost everyone gets wrong when they make a setup of any kind. They goto Home Depot, grab some copper tubing and coil it around a fan with some ice/water system and think that works, and sure, it might, but not anywhere close to effectively cool an area.

The system I built was similar, except I didn't use copper tubing, I used a liquid heat exchanger, I/E, a radiator or heatercore from a car, its surface area is literally designed to do what you are trying and failing to do with copper tubing. The only issue is that you still need a source of cold water, ice is just pushing off the cooling aspect to a fridge, and if that fridge is where you're trying to cool, you're not actually cooling anything, in fact, you're adding even more heat by making ice to cool the room you just heated by making ice. The only way to do a system like this right is having the fridge somewhere else, outside preferably, or have a dedicated cold water line dripping into the system and then pushing warm water out somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JfFGqt1y6U
>>
>>1209700
Hey professor, you been checked for retardation recently? The heat goes into the ice. Muh thermodynamics.
Not saying these are a good idea though.
>>
>>1209589
They also sell free-standing units that connect to the window with a flexible duct.
>>
Just keep looking until you find an absolute moron. I bought a portable air conditioner for £30 that was 'broken'. The girl I bought it from smugly demonstrated how it blew hot air out of the back as well as cold air out of the front and told me I was a sucker for buying it.
>>
>>1209632
90% of this thread is shit. This is the only post that is 100% correct. It describes the proper use of these devices and what they are not used for.

>>1211557
I live in a rainforest. Even in 100% humidity a fan helps.
>>
>>1213907
>I live in a rainforest.
Pics?
>>
>>1211559
parts of europe are practically tropical, dude

spain an the south of france are comparable to the american south for heat and humidity. and its not like southeast asia aren't also hot and humid, where they get by on fans just fine where people are too poor or too bubba to get proper AC

the US is not some bastion of unique weather patterns. what works in other similar geographical areas to yours will work for you.

ps t. quebec

pps
>ceiling fans
ceiling fans are decorative. im talking about box fans and those stand-up units and stuff. also are you aiming the fan at you, or creating air flow in your living space? youre mentioning ceiling fans, which dont do that well at all. your best bet is actually to get a big box fan unit, aim it out your window, and open a window across the house. you'll generate some nice refreshing breezes through your zone
>>
>>1209552
I ran the math on it once, it's cheaper to run a window AC unit than it is to make ice to use in whatever ghetto shit you come up with.

I personally just hang a box fan in my window and turn it on before bed. The rest of the time I just sweat my nuts off.
>>
File: 0000188a.jpg (3MB, 4840x4880px) Image search: [Google]
0000188a.jpg
3MB, 4840x4880px
>>1213909
temperate rainforest

94% humidity, 83F, and raining right now.
>>
>>1209552
DIY swamp fan?
don't get legionnaires disease
>>
>>1213931
I'd still put up with it to have that on my doorstep.
>>
It takes probably a 2 ton air conditioner to cool the cuck shed you're living in. What that means is that it has the cooling capacity of 2 tons of ice. Are you going to buy 2 tons of ice everyday to be able to cool your house? What about just 500 pounds for a slightly shittier effect? Buy an AC
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.